1-48 Airfix Hurricane (old tool) GN A - James Brindley Nicolson

This is a build of the old tool Airfix Hurricane which I bought 2 years ago and stashed it since. The good thing is about the old tool - it will be a more quickly build than the new tool (which is a plus for me at the moment). I will keep the canopy shut as there will be the day when I build the new tool and so will keep the detail work for this. It will be OOB except a new vac canopy and DIY vinyl masks for the codes and roundels. So there will be more painting than building this time.

Pics will follow soon.

René

• Like 5

OK - other than takeing pictures there has been done nothing so far... Here is the kit and the extras:

BoB01_zpsn3obfruc.jpg

I will maybe make a simple base for this one. With "maybe" I usually describe an idea that will be omitted before it becomes a real plan. So we will see if I will do it for this GB already. For this base is the replica of the VC.

Here is a close up of the vinyl masks:

BoB02_zpslhpviyaj.jpg

The mask material works nicely but I am not sure if my artwork will...

Rene

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update - I was on holiday and wrecked my phone and camera. Still I was able to take some pics of the build but need to get them on my computer. Will send an update soon. The cockpit is done and I even included the pilot figure. I closed the fuselage and attached the wings and tail planes. Hope to spend more time at my workbench soon.

Rene

I have to try a set of masks out in the near future for doing my markings and the canopy to see how much improvement they make. Good luck with your build and have fun! :)

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

OK I was sure that I took more pictures of the painted cockpit and instrument panel. Should I find them they will be added here later.

Here are the promissed pictures (those I did find...):

BoB03_zpsqrltnksc.jpg

BoB04_zpsbackn04e.jpg

Now that I see it - I also thinned down the trailing edge of the wings. They were a bit thick OOB.

BoB05_zpswtgwrdsm.jpg

The wheel well will be changed to silver - I forgot to correct this before I glued them to the wings. Was too eager to get ahead...

Paints used are Humbrol and Revell Aqua (inside the cockpit for the details). Putty is from Revell on the lower cowling and Perfect Plastic Putty for the rest - I love this stuff. It is water soluble and any excess can be removed with a moist cotton bud so only minimum sanding is needed.

Rene

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Guess who is back with a micro update...

I put this on the side lane after I thought I made good way and "only" painting is left more ore less. Now it is starting to get close for me...

The vac canopy did not fit this kit (it was not designed for it) making this an OOB build! Must be ages scince my last.

This is all I did in the last weeks on this kit:

BoB06_zpsoq5aragl.jpg

So now it is masking and loading the airbrush...

Rene

Another giant step done:

BoB07_zpsf1zz0w5v.jpg

;-)

Masking was done with Tamiya tape, burnished down with a toothpick and cut with a new scalpel. The area around the mirror was a bit tricky. I bet there will be some bleeding after I brushed a layer of interior green on ... If so it can be scraped away with a toothpick (at least this worked some time before).

Rene

This year is doomed. Another one I will not be able to finish. I started painting on saturday only to realize I picked the wrong colour (bl**dy Revell paints). Now I have the right ones but as I am off for a 10 days trip this weekend I doubt there will be enough time left. :poo:

Here it is:

vBoB08_zpsvhpkfevp.jpg

I also prepared the prop for painting (yellow is on now, black still missing):

BoB09_zpstpamghzc.jpg

Rene :badmood:

• Like 1

I had an unexpected free evening yesterday so I thought - OK, you will not finish it but what the heck... make the best of it. A Spitfire payed company to me and the Hurricane and off I went with masking the camouflage.

BoB11_zpsfb40zgob.jpg

In close-fisted attempt I made my own masks by the following method. I used cheap normal masking tape as used when painting walls (do not leave these on the model for long or you can get trouble removing them without a mess):

BoB12_zpscuellarg.jpg

I used Humbrol 30 for the Dark Green as given in the painting guide:

BoB13_zpsbilzsnss.jpg

Humbrol 30 is no good match as I know now. I should have tested it before. What good is a colour chart if you use it in the end of the line:

BoB14_zpstqhg8f1y.jpg

Rene

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

OK - this is a bit late... I shelved this build after the Dark Green misery but pulled it back on the workbench some months ago, masked it again, and repainted the green areas. I used custom made masks for the code letters and the yellow ring of the fuselage roundels. Roundels, stencils and fin flashes are decals. I trimmed the clear carrier film of the roundels but this shows the white base caolour of the decals in places. After decaling I applied a clear cote prior to the weatehring with Tamiya powders and True Earth filters which were airbrushed along post-it edges to create the panel shading and simply brushed one to get the slightly streaky effects.

I plan to build a base for this one - if I succeed I will post new pictures in the RFI area.

DSC_4754_zpsyrttupus.jpg

DSC_4752_zpsjexyextp.jpg

DSC_4761_zpsc1vvj2xl.jpg

And some close ups to show the weathering :

DSC_4756_zpstqps6awm.jpg

DSC_4753_zpsgus3bvzb.jpg

DSC_4758_zps4knnjnwx.jpg

Thanks for looking.

René

• Like 3