Airfix 2/72 yelllow jacks

Yellow Paint down over a light pre shading to bring out the panel lines photo doesnt do justice to preshading the blackon the tailwas masked prior to yellow going on .I will give a coat of klear then a light colour of oil for the panel wash as these aircraft were kept clean

20150711_151103_zpsq2165m6v.jpg

20150712_003015_LLS_zpsmaxfz3dm.jpg

20150712_002849_LLS_zpseagvek5n.jpg

Decals and oil pin wash done

20150712_225738_LLS_zps31lp2upj.jpg

20150712_225709_LLS_zpsraf2rfv1.jpg

20150712_225757_LLS_zps2wr50dnq.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good. Pleased to see you painted it in the correct 'Lemon Yellow' and not 'Golden Yellow' as per the Airfix instructions. Another error by Airfix is the colour of the tail fin. This aircraft only wore the black tail fin for a few weeks and they left the rudder yellow, it was never painted overall black as on the box top.

Wonderful!! The paint work is fabulous!

I made one from the Matchbox kit - but one of my cats got into the display case and gave it a good chewing.

Now I have a half-built Airfix replacement on the shelf-o-doom. Thanks for the inspiration to get going again!!

Looking good. Pleased to see you painted it in the correct 'Lemon Yellow' and not 'Golden Yellow' as per the Airfix instructions. Another error by Airfix is the colour of the tail fin. This aircraft only wore the black tail fin for a few weeks and they left the rudder yellow, it was never painted overall black as on the box top.

Can you give us a link to a reference for this. I've this kit, anything to avoid doing another Red Arrows one but would like to get it right nonetheless.

Steve.

Dave i use humbrol lemon yellow but i oost shades with lighter colours to give it depth in centre of panels

Speaking of yellow... What particular yellow paint did you end up using?

Looking great so far.

Cheers .. Dave.

Looking great so far.

Cheers .. Dave.

Looking great so far.

Cheers .. Dave.

Steve,

I've got some info about Gnat's and Yellowjacks.

Once I get my ruddy scanner to work!!!!! - I'll send it to your home email address.

I think I still owe you one for that info your passed on regarding Post War RNZAF Corsairs..

Cheers.. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

Dave i use humbrol lemon yellow but i oost shades with lighter colours to give it depth in centre of panels

I used the Tamiya yellow which apparently is also a good match but it needed 3 coats to combat the translucency normally found with it.

I used the Tamiya yellow which apparently is also a good match but it needed 3 coats to combat the translucency normally found with it.

i primered mine with white and one preshaded with a mid grey i added white again to the centre of panels before the yellow was applied which helped with the colour.

Can you give us a link to a reference for this. I've this kit, anything to avoid doing another Red Arrows one but would like to get it right nonetheless.

Steve.

Steve,

It's in the 'Evolution of the Red Arrows' booklet published by the IPMS Aerobatic Display Teams SIG.

http://www.aerobatic-teams.org.uk/red_arrows_book/index.htm

Ken

• Like 1

Steve,

Personal email on it's way with all the Gnat pages of the above booklet.

She's a fairly large file, so apologies for that.

Cheers... from your pal across the ditch.

• Like 1

Well almost finished just the canopy to attach and a final coat of klear just to seal it all in and give it a bit more of a gloss finish then its done. Its not been my best build for a while but i am happy with this one and was fun to build

20150714_003557_LLS_zps9pfarjt1.jpg

Tail corrected

20150714_003644_LLS_zps1s96t9tj.jpg

20150714_003711_LLS_zpszdxbroqn.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful job, very impressive indeed. My only comment would be about the panel lines not being continued over the upper roundals....

Ian