Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21bis, 1/48(ish)

Good evening

First of all, a little word of warning: if you're much concerned about accuracy in form, colour, scale, amount of detail and things like that, maybe this is not the model for you =)

This is something I made out of pieces of scrap wood, at the soon about to collapse warehouse at the back of our yard, for my son's first birthday. I used mainly hand tools, saw, plane, file, sand paper etc and a cheap dremel rip-off of chinese make =)

The fuselage is made of pine, spine, tail and wings of black alder, intake cone of birch, main gear "bumps" on the sides of milliput. All parts are solid. Milliput was also used to blend the parts in, because there is no way my woodworking skills are anywhere near to have them blend without filler. The stand is made of oak.

The R-3S missiles are made of coctail sticks and plastic card. I later found out that the standard load might've been one R-3S IR and one R-3R radar missile, but I didn't bother to make a new one for this purpose. I also made a drop tank but didnt't mount it. In the end I ran out of time, so the lynx emblem of "HävLLv 31" and the reg number were made mostly freehand and look like they've been made by someone about 5 years old, sorry for that :). Roundels are from Kuivalainen's finnish roundel sheet.

Mainly this was built out of memory and the kind of "feel" I had of the MiG-21bis, looking at pictures (Jyrki Laukkanen's excellent "MiG-21 in Finnish Air Force"), and for some parts I used Eduards 21PFM for the rough shape. Everyhting is simplified and most bumps&scoops are not there, there are no panel lines raised or engraved etc. I was never aiming for real accuracy and sought keep a certain "toylike" feel to it.

So here it is, MiG-21bis "MG-136" (birthday is 13 june, hence the registration number chosen) in 1/48ish scale:

WP_20150712_013_zpsfbu9xav8.jpg

WP_20150712_001_zpskydrqhjg.jpg

WP_20150712_003_zpsl3pu8h1h.jpg

WP_20150712_008_zpskmd9dxph.jpg

WP_20150712_006_zpswkxfktdi.jpg

BTW the colours look really freaky in the pics, everything is greenish although the dark areas are a mix of Gunze dark earth and flat black.

-Jaakko

• Like 12