Spitfire Mk 1 S/L Adolf Maln Sqn 74 August 1940

Good evening

My second entry in this Gb is the Airfix Spit Mk1 flown by S/L Adolph Malan during the Battle of Britain

Malan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Malan

I replaced the instrument panel and the seat by a Quickboost one
988018001.jpg

Today I placed the seat and instrument panel on the right half fuselage
675774002.jpg
773099003.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 13

Good afternoon

First of all I wish to apologize to you for the mistake I made in the title of this post the first name of Sailor Malan is Adolph and definitely not Adolf , I don't know how to correct my mistake if someone can help me I will be very grateful ..

Hello Patrice!

Good start. It looks a nice kit (must get one....).

The post war activities of Malan were unknown to me. Most interesting.

Trevor

Hello Max

Thank you ..

Before reading his biography I did not know about his activities after the war very and I find that very interesting ..

Interesting subject and a good start Patrice - nice interior detail :)

I'll join in if I may :popcorn:

Hello Cedb

Thank you

Yes of course you are welcome ..

Very nice start in the cockpit. Those replacement parts really look the business. :thumbsup:

Hello PlaStix

Thank you , you are right these parts improve the build ..

Patrice

• Like 1

Nice choice of subject Patrice! ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979313-airfixs-supermarine-spitfire-mk-1-148th-scale-the-new-one/ ) And a great start too!

Malan's post war activities meant he was pretty much written out of South African history books by the Apartheid regime, and should you think that Cape Town's airport used to be named for him - alas it was named for D F Malan - pro-apartheid prime minister of the RSA.

He probably deserves to be remembered for his stance against apartheid as much as his flying.

Jonners

• Like 4

Good evening

This afternoon while watching The First of the Few movie I closed the fuselage

777276002.jpg

I also painted the propeller , the undercarriage wheels etc ..

Patrice

• Like 6

Sqn Ldr Adolf Malan, better known as Salior Malan. I thought due to the fact he spent allot of time in the English Chanel. Turns out he was a merchant seaman before joining the RAF.

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Good morning

Thank you for your comments ..

After a few days on hollidays I am back to work today so I won't have time to work on the Spits before the Week end I am afraid ..

Patrice

Hard to tell from the photo Patrice... but you are the best judge for your model.

Looking at the photo of the H90 on your other build that looks a bit dark in the photo too but we all know H90 is THE standard (and then the fight started...) :)

Both are looking very good, great job.

Hard to tell from the photo Patrice... but you are the best judge for your model.

Looking at the photo of the H90 on your other build that looks a bit dark in the photo too but we all know H90 is THE standard (and then the fight started...) :)

Both are looking very good, great job.

Good morning CedB

Thank you , The Xtradecal notice indicates to paint the underside of the aircraft in Sky Blue but doesn't give any reference for this blue ..

I think I am going to try a mix of blue and white and see what I get ..

Patrice

Hi Patrice, it would appear I'm too late. Personally I use Humbrol 65, but only after it's been stirred quite a lot,

and then left for about 20 minutes, it seems to be little bit lighter than using it straight away. But it is an older tin,

so this might have something to do with it. Sorry, I've only come across this now.

The blue does look good though,

Sean