All bits flying in the same direction?

Paul Rigby

Hi Folks

Just popped in to put a word in for a local artist. His name is Robin Smith and is situated in Lincolnshire (http://www.robin-smith-art.co.uk). I must admit that, although I love it, I rarely find aviation art that is done well. Problem is that many artists, while obviously full of enthusiasm and painting in good faith, tend to produce aircraft from Picasso'a Cubist period. Half a dozen bits flying in different directions, all at once. There's an issue with angles. The nose is flying in this direction, the wings are flying over there and the tail has yet to make up its mind. You know the sort of thing. Robin never seems to have this problem.

Another issue I have with artists is the 'story'. OK, it's nice to see a Lanc 'doing it's thing' but 99% of Lanc art, for example, sees the aircraft flying over a cloud...or a field...or a dead dog (possibly not the last one). To me, this sort of composition is bland verging on the lazy. I enjoy images that tell a story, that give me a sense of the emotion from the time, that conveys a slice of the energy and adrenaline... After all, WW2 aircraft, specially, were created and flown in a time of high drama.

Again, Robin understands this too.

This example is a great part of the Dambuster's story and one that is often ignored: the run up, the tense period of testing where the entire operation was still in the balance. It's call 'Too Low? Too Slow? Four Days to Go!' It was created in co-operation with the pilot who flew this very aircraft.

Just to say that I've got nothing to do with Mr Smith, I'm just a fan of his work. In fact I have three of his prints framed on my wall. I'll post the other two soon.

Paul

067-big-2_zpsyzppa7iz.jpg

Edited by Paul Rigby
  • Like 11

I think the artist is pretty close, bhouse. There may be some artistic drama in the splash but I think it's pretty accurate. Here's a pic of an actual bouncing bomb test from "Ice Pilots NWT" show on the dambusters. The water certainly appears to engulf the rear of the aircraft. How much would depend on other factors. I think Robin did a splendid job on this painting.

dambuster_zpsemg0dif2.jpg

• 1 month later...

a VERY GOOD painting and the rendition of the actual events closely matched; but artist have that thing called artistic license on their side... so seeing a painting in such good quality et al is delightful ; and Robins works of art are EXQUISITE..

I like this one too. :yikes::thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Not sure I agree with referring to work that artists do as being lazy. Totally agree that this is a fine painting, but to be critical of others is some what generalist and certainly contrary to my opinion. As someone who paints aviation portraits from time to time, I have upmost admiration for what many artists are able to produce, something that I could only aspire to.

• Like 1