1/72 - Bell 206A Jet Ranger by Italeri - released

Homebee

The old ESCI mould/tool from the late 70's but still good quality tooling, so should be a good with new markings. The sky's the limit, hopefully the AM decal guys will pick up on it...

Colin

Italeri OH-58A Kiowa - same kit with different sprue parts cut out:

http://archiwum.plastikowe.pl/recenzje/72-italeri195-oh-58a

OH-58D is different tooling:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/it/kit_it_1185.shtml

There is OH-58A listed as based on OH-58D at the Scalemates website. IMHO that is wrong. OH-58A version and Jet Ranger are from Esci and OH-58D/AH-58D are from Italeri.

(like F-5A is from Esci and F-5E is Italeri)

When ESCI originally released the kit it came in at least four variants, one of which was a Jet Ranger down to the Jet Ranger logo at the bottom of the windscreen A pillar. I'll check my stash...

Oooooopss, I see we're talking 72md scale, my apologies. Glad I got the ESCI ones when I did.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

In the first sprue image you can see they added the transmission cover for the tailboom (upper left area) which was not available in the original OH-58A release.

Also nice to see they enclosed decals for the Italian Police Department.

In the first sprue image you can see they added the transmission cover for the tailboom (upper left area) which was not available in the original OH-58A release.

Also nice to see they enclosed decals for the Italian Police Department.

Looking at the layout I suspect the OH-58A parts were always there just never released in that form. The main details might be the same, but Italeri have history of using drop-ins (or even new moulds) where there are differences on 'the same' parts.

Re the ESCI connection - Giorgio may have more information, but I beleive all the Italeri Bells (212/412/204 and 206) were designed by the same chap who did the ESCI UH-1H

Well done Rodder, top left sprue has the long skids (top right) and the transmission tunnel (bottom right).

Colin

Missing from what I can see is the tail rotor gearbox fairing behind the tunnel and any seats for the back. Does anybody know of any aftermarket decals in the works for this kit? Now is some enterprising individual (colin) were to say maybe do the 206L fuselage and the extra bits (blades are one I think) then I would be very pleased. Unfortunately civvy stuff is reputed not to sell so I will be buying a few of these before they become scarce. Oh how I wished I had bought more S55's and how I wished I had a few more wessex 5's and Revell seaking mk6's but then I think its just because I am greedy. BTW Colin my idea about the 206L I would think would be commercial flop but I would buy if you would produce. I have the MK9 whirlwind that you produced waiting for a italeri s55 and if I must say it looks marvelous and the decals look superb.

The old ESCI mould/tool from the late 70's but still good quality tooling, so should be a good with new markings. The sky's the limit, hopefully the AM decal guys will pick up on it...

Colin

Jim Botaitis/JBOT Decals does a lovely set for an old Toronto PD Jetranger B-III. Photo here.

Jim Botaitis/JBOT Decals does a lovely set for an old Toronto PD Jetranger B-III. Photo here.

Just tried to order 3 sets of decals and when you get to checkout you cant as he says words to the effect that the site will be back but doesn't say when. shame I really fancied the one with the goose on it.

Rodders

Unfortunately, the price isn't that low... Italeri's site shows € 13,50, while Hannats shows 12,99 pounds - it stings, since I paid something like € 8 (with shipping) for the OH-58A...

Colin

This 1/72 206 family has nothing to do with Esci, it's an original Italeri.

Esci never did the 206 in this scale, their kits of the type were 1/48

Looking at the layout I suspect the OH-58A parts were always there just never released in that form. The main details might be the same, but Italeri have history of using drop-ins (or even new moulds) where there are differences on 'the same' parts.

Re the ESCI connection - Giorgio may have more information, but I beleive all the Italeri Bells (212/412/204 and 206) were designed by the same chap who did the ESCI UH-1H

I'm with Giorgio on this one, I have NO recollection of Esci ever doing a 206 in 1/72nd, the first one I ever saw was Italeri's and that came out about 10-15 years ago (the same time roughly as their OH-6).

Granted, it might well have been designed by the same guy who did Esci's UH-1's in 1/72nd but the kit is an Italeri original.

Wez

• Like 1

Dave, I have no information but I can try and ask around, someone here in Italy may know more.

It's a fact that Italeri's helicopters are generally quite nice, more than most aircraft kits from the same company of the same era. It's unfortunately also a fact that no Italeri aircraft kit has IMHO managed to be as nice as the best from Esci...

• Like 2

I'm with Giorgio on this one, I have NO recollection of Esci ever doing a 206 in 1/72nd, the first one I ever saw was Italeri's and that came out about 10-15 years ago (the same time roughly as their OH-6).

Granted, it might well have been designed by the same guy who did Esci's UH-1's in 1/72nd but the kit is an Italeri original.

Wez

Hi Wez, Colin did post in post 5 that he didn't realise that the new kit was 1/72 scale and apologised for his mistake. The Jetranger is my favourite aircraft and I have most of the kits in most of the scales but to my mind the very best is the 1/48 scale ESCI which were released later as the Kiowa version by Italeri (can you see where the confusion comes in) and the Italeri 1/72nd OH-58A went on to be released by Tamiya

151972-11814.jpg

ESCI%204061%20Jetraslvg.JPG

The two above are the same kit

Fujumi did a jetranger series as well

138062-10244.jpg

Revell did it in 1/32

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

The tamaya version of the OH-58A

120464-10911.jpg

Hasagawa did a 1/100 scale one but they are like rocking horse droppings

m2-JSlhUGKFBf7coJHPk4Mw.jpg

Last but not least the Heller 1/50th

196528-12155-63.jpg

Hope this all helps

Rodders

Hiu Wez Colin did post in post 5 that he didn't realise that they were 1/72 scale and apologised for his mistake. The Jetranger is my favourite aircraft and I have most of the kits in most of the scales but to my mind the very best is the 1/48 scale ESCI which were released later as the Kiowa version by Italeri (can you see where the confusion comes in) and the Italeri 1/72nd OH-58A went on to be released by Tamiya

Hope this all helps

Rodders

Thanks Rodders, missed that.

Wez

• 4 years later...