Fascist Falcon - 1/72 Italeri Fiat CR.42, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Ursel, Belgium, October 1940

Hello Stew, the engine looks very good. You've got a nice hue on the exhaust. Joe

Thanks very much Joe, it's Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron, it's been my favourite exhaust colour for a little while now :)

This morning while I was waiting for the shops to open I couldn't resist giving the engine a bit of a wash of black on the crankcase and cylinders, and a drybrush of silver on the push-rods:

DSCN3876.jpg

I also assembled the wheel spats:

DSCN3877.jpg

Then I cycled to Hobbycraft in the pouring rain to find that they didn't have any X-8 Lemon Yellow in stock, so thus thwarted I returned home and added some white to some ordinary yellow:

DSCN3872.jpg

It's lacking a slight green component I think, something is not right with it anyway, but it will have to do. It's still Tamiya paint, I sprayed it onto bare plastic and masked it because I don't mind if some of it comes off, as it didn't seem to adhere very well to the real aircraft; it will be interesting to see what effect if any is produced. Once the yellow was masked I sprayed the undersurfaces with Alclad Semi-Matt Aluminium:

DSCN3873.jpg

Hopefully before the end of the day I can get the uppersurface Giallo Mimetico sprayed on...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Thanks Stew, that's a good colour. I've been using it for tank tracks. :)

Ah yes Joe, I can see that would be a good choice for tank tracks...

In an effort to make the most of the day, I sprayed the Sovereign Colourcoats Giallo Mimetico 4 freehand to save time - I had forgotten how nicely it sprays and it covered very well cut about 50% with cellulose thinners:

DSCN3879.jpg

Emboldened by this success, I sprayed the Marron Mimetico 2 as well:

DSCN3882.jpg

and since this did not appear to have pushed my luck too far, as soon as that was touch-dry I sprayed the Verde Mimetico 3:

DSCN3883.jpg

Well, not my best work, but I hope it will look a bit better with the masking tape off and the transfers applied...

For the time being I think I will leave that to dry for a day or so.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Si Senor, va bene, multo bene... oh, sorry, I thought we wus talkin' Italian wiv all those paint names!! At least you're safe from the RC 'Sky' type arguments! :)

Looks really good to me Stew, really nice :)

Appropriate (??) Frank Drebin quote:

Quentin Hapsburg: Que sera sera... You do speak French, don't you?

Lt. Frank Drebin: Unfortunately no, but I do kiss that way.
  • Like 3

Si Senor, va bene, multo bene... oh, sorry, I thought we wus talkin' Italian wiv all those paint names!! At least you're safe from the RC 'Sky' type arguments! :)

Looks really good to me Stew, really nice :)

Appropriate (??) Frank Drebin quote:

Quentin Hapsburg: Que sera sera... You do speak French, don't you?

Lt. Frank Drebin: Unfortunately no, but I do kiss that way.

Thanks Ced :) - there is no such thing as an 'appropriate' Frank Drebin quote, that was part of the programme's charm - I got the dvd a couple of months ago, I didn't realise Police Squad (in Color) only ran for six episodes...

Looking very nice Stew

Lovely kit isn't it?

Thanks very much Jim :) - it is a lovely kit, although I am still concerned about fitting that top wing, specifically about how I am actually going to do it yikes.gif

Camo is looking good.

Thanks Phil, it's at the upper end of my realistic expectations of my capabilities :lol:

Very nice sir

Why thank you sir :D

That's a cracking bit of work stew. I would be chuffed to bits

Rob

Thanks Rob... it looks a bit better with the masking off and it is about as good as I could make it so mustn't grumble... :D

Marvellous paint finish, this ones going to be a right looker,

Sean

Thanks Sean, the Colourcoats was always lovely paint to use and I'm glad to see that Sovereign Hobbies have maintained the quality B)

Before I turned in last night I removed the masking tape and added the undercarriage and engine...

DSCN3889.jpg

So the next jobs will be detail painting - the interplane struts, guns, wheels etc...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 13

In the words of one of the two best Scottish movies ever:

"bella, bella"

They dubbed 'Whisky Galore' into Italian? :lol: Thank you very much Jon :)

I'm not an adept emoji user but dang, that looks cool Stew.

:gobsmacked:

Thanks Cookie; I'm not 100% happy with it but I'm not sure I could have done it any better if I had allowed more time and care anyway, so... :shrug:

Fantastic painting of a less obvious subject - looking forward to seeing this complete!

Cheers, Paul

Thanks very much Paul, it has actually gone remarkably quickly so far, I was expecting the scheme to take days but as it was I just banged through it on a Sunday afternoon :lol:

I painted the interplane struts, tyres and guns and... added the top wing:

DSCN3900.jpg

If I was going to do that again, I would paint the upper and lower wings and the struts separately and not attach the struts until I was ready to fix the wings on - doing it the way I did (as the instructions recommend) meant the glue had well and truly set on the struts by the time I came to attach the wings and meant some fiddling, faffing and finagling - plus a bit of Berna clamp action - was required to bend everything to my will. I had to trim the central struts slightly too, and this means that the starboard one doesn't quite reach the fuselage now but keep schtum and nobody will be any the wiser :tapedshut:

Hopefully the next step will involve applying some transfers... :ike:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Lovely Falco, Stew! One of my all-time favourite aeroplanes (love those late biplanes). It served on the Eastern Front also, with the Hungarians, so of course it's on my to-buy list.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Wouldn't you know it, I just found one cheap on eBay, so it's no longer on my to-buy list, but now on my to-build (some day) list. Now all I need are some Hungarian transfers.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Thanks Jason, and apologies if I have led you astray :lol: but in for a penny, in for a pound... there are a couple of nice Hungarian schemes on the HAD transfer sheet here or the Sky Models sheet contains some... 75 schemes in total including RAI, Belgian, Swedish and Hungarian schemes plus one RAF. I might get it just for the drop-shadowed yellow numbers provided, it looks like you could make any CAI CR.42 out of it...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :)

I was lucky enough to run into Jamie from Sovereign at the Perth Model show on Sovereign's 'first official day out' and I snapped up the full sets of the Armee de l'Air and Regia Aeronautica colours. I recommend them to you without reservation.

He's a forum member if you wanted to send a PM, they do mail order.

I have no connection to the company apart from my folks living in the same neck of the woods as Jamie :D

Cheers,

Stew

Thats a very nice build and an interesting project. The italian camo schemes are a challenge to do, especially in this scale.

Looks great !

• Like 1

Beautiful little biplane Stew. It's looking really good.

• Like 1