1/72 Revell (ex-Matchbox) Westland Lysander Mk.II, 16 Squadron, France, 1940

Hi gents, I've just finished this - the Revell re-pop of the venerable and venerated Matchbox Westland Lysander Mk.II:

DSCN3813.jpg

DSCN3816.jpg

DSCN3818.jpg

DSCN3820.jpg

DSCN3821.jpg

DSCN3824.jpg

The Revell kit was released in their 'Classic Kit' series in 2008 and provided identical markings to the original Matchbox kit as well as (obviously) the same parts but moulded in one colour (grey) rather than the two browns of the original. It's a bit basic and the parts count is pretty low but it builds well and ends up looking like a Lysander - the 'bumpless' cowling is correct for a Perseus-engined Mk.II, the Mercury-engined Mks.I & III having the little cowling bumps.

I started out intending to build this OOB and I succeeded... well 95% or so anyway; I cut out the inspection windows in front of the tailplanes and drilled out the 'headlights' in the undercarriage spats, these were glazed with Micro Kristal Klear. I also added an aerial mast and wire from sprue and EZ-line. Build thread is here.

The kit markings represent an aircraft from 16 Squadron Army Co-operation based in France during 1940 - probably quite near the end of the Battle of France judging from the yellow surround to the fuselage roundels, this being introduced in early May 1940.

Thanks for your attention :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 48

Excellent job on the Lysander, Stew! I bought quite a few of Mr. Matchbox's kits during my callow youth, but that's one I somehow missed.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

That's another excellent model Stew. Looks very good. The decals look good on the fuselage. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

Fantastic Lysander there Stew, you`ve done a brilliant job and it is the best Matchbox Lizzie that I`ve seen!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Superb mate, another fabulous finish. I do love seeing these older tools made up, and this is a cracker,

Sean

• Like 1

Beautiful Lizze Stew!

I loved making the Matchbox kit back in 1988, and may just have to oick up a Revell Lysander if I can find one as this build has made me want to do one again!

Cheers matey,

Viv

• Like 1