Dog fight over Margate (updated 29/10) Finished

On the 24th. July 1940 Squadron Leader Henry Sawyer of 65 Squadron took off from RAF Hornchurch in his Spitfire Mk 1 R6799. The Squadron landed at RAF Manston to refuel. Then taking to the air again they were vectored to a group of Me 109s. In the ensuing dog fight Squadron Leader Sawyer shot down a 109E that made a wheels up landing at Northdown, Margate at 1pm. The pilot was Werner Bartels who was taken prisoner. Sadly Squadron Leader Sawyer was killed on take off at Hornchurch on the 2nd. August 1940.

This story has grabbed my attention as Manston is my local airfield and where Bartels landed is just down the road from me (several hundred yards). The area he landed in is now part of Millmead Housing Estate.

To save problems with copyright etc. Details of Henry Sawyer can be found here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=squadron+leader+h+c+sawyer&biw=1736&bih=887&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3NqgVfSOD66V7Abg9KOIBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

And Werner Bartels pictures of his crashed aircraft can be found here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=squadron+leader+h+c+sawyer&biw=1736&bih=887&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3NqgVfSOD66V7Abg9KOIBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=werner+bartels

I shall be doing this as a "Dog Fight Double"

DPP_0001_zps71phehuk.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by jenko
  • Like 11

Sound an interesting project, I will be following your progress, as I to am doing a dog fighting pair. I will be interested on how you go about displaying them.

Ozzy

Thanks for your encouragement guys.

Now an update.

Thought I would start on the Spit as it's the easiest to do. The 109 is a bit of a mish mash.

Cockpit put together.

DPP_0001_zpsmacr5tok.jpg

And painted.

DPP_0004_zpsgkkf8iqj.jpg

DPP_0005_zpsugav8rap.jpg

Seat harness came from the spares box. No real problems here. :coolio:

While all this was going on I thought I would make a start on the wings. I did the Mk V some time back and the undercarriage assembly is still the same ....... and I still don't like it :fight:

I have fitted the underside recognition light. Quick tip: colour the back of the light with an orange overhead projector pen and then cover with a piece of silver baremetal foil.

DPP_0002_zpsozsoavc2.jpg

DPP_0003_zpsng05u3hu.jpg

Looks a bit better than painting it.

Thanks for looking. More soon

Dick

• Like 5

A bit more progress.

DPP_0001_zpsnmzvgt8o.jpg

The kit goes together really well. No filling apart from the odd nick where it came of the sprue a little awkward.

Cockpit looks the part.

DPP_0002_zpsnwmkjz5d.jpg

Wings on.

DPP_0003_zpshbhre901.jpg

DPP_0004_zpskrqbywdh.jpg

I cannot recommend this kit enough. It really is a pleasure to build.

Thanks for looking.

Dick

• Like 2

Getting there. Now time for some paint. :thumbsup:

Had to use a little filler at the back of the wing joint but otherwise ok. Just the odd join seam that was a little too deep. :winkgrin:

DPP_0001_zpsaveotd6k.jpg

DPP_0002_zpspi5tapso.jpg

DPP_0003_zps9y0qsnwk.jpg

DPP_0004_zpsimabmblc.jpg

Thanks for looking, I really appreciate your support.

Dick

• Like 5

As a DFD are you going to have pilots in them as i have had trouble more than once leaving the pilots to the end to find they dont fit .

Short answer is No. I tend to do my models as you would see the real thing in a museum. (I hate weathering as I'm rubbish at it)

I will probably display them next to each other on a simple base with the usual notes about the encounter.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted the underside recognition light. Quick tip: colour the back of the light with an orange overhead projector pen and then cover with a piece of silver baremetal foil.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/rsjenkinson/DPP_0002_zpsozsoavc2.j

[url="http://s919.photobucket.com/user/rsjenkinson/media/DPP_0003_zpsng05u%5Bimg]http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/rsjenkinson/DPP_0003_zpsn]

Looks a bit better than painting it.

Excellent tip Dick. Looks really effective. Loving your progress and looking forward to your end result.

That looks really great, Dick! Looking forward to seeing this pair finished.

As for "Quick tip: colour the back of the light with an orange overhead projector pen and then cover with a piece of silver baremetal foil."

I'd say that's the Tip of the Year!!

Many thanks for your comments.

Sorry been a bit amiss lately not doing updates (my allotment needed working on and SWMBO :bouncy: thought that was more important :chair: ).

Any way paint has been applied.

DPP_0001_zpsc3gdnok0.jpg

DPP_0002_zpsfjacmwu9.jpg

DPP_0003_zpsuskuhhhk.jpg

The underside colour should be Eau-de-Nil. I could not find a correct match so Sky it has to be .......... not a million miles away. If any one knows who produces the correct shade for Eau-de-Nil please let us all know. :)

Decals are starting to appear .

DPP_0004_zpss3iyel2x.jpg

Codes and serial number will be from the spares box ....however I do have a problem with what is written under the starboard cockpit side.

IMG_zpslboxoerj.jpg

Any body got any ideas??? At worst I will leave it of until I can sort something out.

Many thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 2

Hi Dick,

Sovereign Colourcoats do a very nice Eau-de-Nil as well as some other of the less usual RAF/FAA shades - a lot of the paints haven't got their colour chips added to the website yet but I recommend them as good quality enamels. I used the (WEM) Eau-de-Nil on one of my Spitfires here - the Sovereign version is the same paint.

As for the presentation badge; sorry, I drew a blank, Authentic Decals did a set of Presentation Spitfire markings in 1/72 but I don't believe it was scaled up to 1/48.

Cheers,

Stew

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while I know since any update. SWMBO has retired so less modelling time...... bummer :weep: .

Any way the decals are on. Part from the kit and part spares box. Still haven't found a solution to the markings on the starboard side of the fuselage, so will leave it alone until I can sort something out at a later point in time. :wicked:

The under carriage is still a pain on these new Airfix Spits. I tend to tack the leg in place pointing in all the correct directions and the float supper glue around the joint and walk away for a good while.

I do wish Airfix would realise that this method is a pain for experienced modellers and nigh on impossible for the younger person. :frantic: I think I am qualified to make this comment as a retired handicraft teacher of some 35 years. Come on Airfix get it sorted. :jump_fire:

DPP_0001_zpstzxjho7g.jpg

DPP_0002_zpsxsxxmebp.jpg

Now for a little touching up here and there and some matt varnish.

Thanks for looking. :)

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates.

Now onto the 109. You can see that this is one of Airfix's "early" offerings. The Spit is leagues ahead.

Basic cockpit but will do, and goes together well.

This is a speedy build compared to the Spit.

DPP_0001_zpsxfontrcd.jpg

DPP_0002_zps6kutw5hr.jpg

DPP_0003_zpsacjpola9.jpg

DPP_0004_zpsl5yz8heg.jpg

More soon

Thanks for looking

• Like 4