Westland Whirlwind, 263 Squadron, Airfix 1/72

Hi,

Next archive bird - Westland Whirlwind of 263 Squadron RAF, September 1941. This is an Airfix kit, mould form late 1970s, mostly OOB work. I was intending t do here very devestated paint, following well a photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._263_Squadron_RAF#/media/File:Whirlwind_Mk_I,_263_Sqn_Exeter,_in_flight_over_West_Country.jpg

But this was just an attempt...

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

whirlwind DSC03941whirlwind DSC03940whirlwind DSC03939whirlwind DSC02723whirlwind DSC02722whirlwind DSC02721whirlwind DSC02720

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 19

I see what you mean about the paint by the link to the photo. You've made a good reproduction of the paint work I think. Well done Jerzy. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!!!

First of all: I M P R E S S I V E !!!

We,together with my Eldest Daughter Karina were watching your nicely done job and the pic you shared and were enjoying the nicely done artistical rendition of the original you did, both of us were exclaiming this word: IMPRESSIVE!!! at the same time, and as Fatbodydim sez, the reproduction of the original was wonderfuly well done.

I was wondering which one was the kit you have masterful built here:The Series I or Series 2......

I remembered I have bought one Airfix Series 2 box of this little obscure plane in the same time frame as you, 1979-1980 more specifically...this little box was in the " Discount Forgotten Kits" corner at the Hobby Shop and asI have seen as Cookenbacher sez, I instantly bought the kit without knowing what it was and even a little reference of her.

I had the issue that the kit haven't had the canopy and as I was a newcomer to the hobby, I built it as it was and always had the hope to find someone who have had a canopy spare part for this one but haven't. The kit disaperared in a fiery Shelves Crash one afternoon in 1981 that was so fiery and very big that left my collection virtually as ZERO.

Then, I have had no interest as haven't seen the kit anymore here at the Hobby Shop until I watched one two years ago owned by an Ebay lady, who BTW became also my friend after many buys. She have had many interesting kits I was missing as the time goes by, and asked after the kit and was impressed to watch it as a Blister packed kit........and bought her.

Then, when the kit arrived, I found that the little blister contained the parts BUT NOT the kit canopy, just another plane's transparent pàrt and asked her for the missing item and after she checked the box in which the past owner left the kits she was selling, she resolved that the part was factory missing and gave me the kit as a gift and a discount in my next buy,

I also discovered that Airfix made TWO editions: One very simple one Series I in blister as I have and another Series 2 in the normal bigger box. Anyway, always I am looking for the appearence of the Series 2 kit to buy and copy the canopy to complete the one I have been treasuring since I bought it.

I am sorry at some time about the stories i share here, but for an extrange reason, your wonderful museum pieces make a "click" in my memory bank anytime you post an interesting and special kit of my past modelbuilder story here......I was wondering how many people here have feeling the same as me thanks to you....

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Nice model, and it's brave of you to go for such a big weathering effect over your perfectly nice camouflage finish. My only question is: what were they doing to the real one to scrape so much paint off??

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Always liked the old Airfix Whirlwind. I remember gloss painting mine Brunswick green and some sort of off yellow. My brother did his in blue and green. Thinking he'd finished his before mine I then pointed out the wings were on upside down. Luckily for him the glue hadn't fully set.

• Like 1

Thank you Gents for so much positive feedback :)

Luis - I am very sorry about you bad luck to Whirlwind and the collaps of you collection in the past. Terrible story.

Adrian - indeed it was a difficult decission to do this weathering. I also wondered, why the quality of paint appeared here so poor in original.

Many thank again - this is a really old model - from 1993. And this is Series II Whirlwind.

BTW - I've counted and I am approaching to 250 model posted on RFI during last year, when I am here...

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1