Mk I Spitfire - 'The Virgin' Fl/Lt Denys Gillam - (1:32 Revell)

... and my space looks like a bomb has hit it 10 minutes after starting - I have to clear stuff out the way usually to take any photos!!

See, here's one thing we have in common, only that my workbench looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb ... and I actually have quite a big L-shaped desk to work on (OK, there'a also a multi-function printer in the corner), but I end up working (and taking photos) in an area that is actually a little smaller than an A4 sheet ... :banghead::banghead:

Sorry for the hijack, Nigel.

Ciao

• Like 2

I've tried to go for the 'flown but not battered' look. Both upper and lower halves received the same treatment but the treatment is obviously more prominent on the lower halve due to the lighter colour. There is also some 'aluminium' on the walkway on the port side but the flash from the camera has hidden it.

I'm hoping the next pictures will be of the completed model :)

IMG_1693_zpsj8ajooyk.jpg

IMG_1698_zpsklqdvbim.jpg

• Like 2

That's all looking rather splendid Nigel. As Giemme and John have said; the weathering with the oil wash looks spot on! Very nice! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the nice words folks. I have to admit that it was just a case of mixing up some oil and turps and splashing it on. I can't really take any credit for it being anything else.

I used MIG 502 Abteilung - Black. I had read about this last year and purchased some for pin washes and thought I'd expand upon this.

Glad you like the outcome so far :)

• Like 2

I used MIG 502 Abteilung - Black. I had read about this last year and purchased some for pin washes and thought I'd expand upon this.

Pure black? Wow, I'd have said it was some sort of Burnt Siena or something like.. The final effect, as I said, is very nice

Ciao

• Like 1

Well, here she is folks. I took the pictures outside as the light was better than using the flash indoors. Grass not exactly to scale however :whistle:

Thanks to those who have kept me company during this build and for offering such great advice. This has probably been my most ambitious build to date and the support was really appreciated :thanks:

Not a clue what's next! Probably the 'Custom Pickup' my youngest wants me to build for him :hmmm:

Cheers

Nigel

IMG_2795_zpsfhm80s1r.jpg

IMG_2796_zpskva2hfbc.jpg

IMG_2799_zpsyvaxnr1o.jpg

IMG_2803_zpspcbhhaok.jpg

IMG_2812_zps4ufo2x7g.jpg

• Like 6

Looking great, Nigel! :clap: :clap: Lovely flat finish, what have you ended up using for that?

I also tend to take pictures for the RFI outside; how about trying some not in direct sunlight? You should be able to appreciate a bit more the camo job on the top side.

PS: all that PE job really payed off! :thumbsup2:

Ciao

Thanks Giemme :)

I used the Vallejo Satin finish. After some tests with Satin and Matt I couldn't see the difference! I also read that the satin behaved better and did not 'fog'.

Will try for some more photo's at the weekend - weather permitting!

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. Just been checking out your photos in the gallery - fantastic result - it looks superb! You must be very pleased. When I saw you had made a post in the gallery I must admit I was a bit nervous in case you'd had problems with the varnish. I was so pleased when I saw how it looked. The finish certainly doesn't look like a satin varnish. It looks brilliant in the sun. Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix - You're very kind.

It was a testing but thoroughly enjoyable build. I too was so nervous about the final coats but I shall be using the 'Satin' for future builds without any reservations now :)

I may try to improve the photo's but I don't hold out a lot of hope. I tried taking some earlier (indoors this time) to pick out the detail such as the aerials from the fuselage to the tail but they didn't work out. I might have another go with my little 'point and shoot' so who knows, I could end up with a lucky shot.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing follow modellers add to what is a wonderful gallery. So many combined hours of work in there - pretty amazing really!! :coolio:

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...