Mk I Spitfire - 'The Virgin' Fl/Lt Denys Gillam - (1:32 Revell)

Can't believe this has come around so quickly

I have had the pleasure of watching the glorious shape of a spitfire pulling manoeuvres over my roof over the last few days.

I live near Goodwood and not I'm sure whether it flies from there or Shoreham. Either way, it's a magnificent sight. I just hope I can do it some justice with my build.

My build is dedicated to all the brave individuals who took to the sky all those years ago for our liberty.

Long may they be remembered

gillam_zpsgkaze492.jpg

BIOGRAPHY:

Dennys Gillam obtained his flying licence in 1934 and joined the RAF the following year. In June 1938, Gillam received the AFC for flying food to Rathlin Island in very hazardous conditions in a Westland Wapiti.
During the Battle of Britain he served with No. 616 Sqn very successfully. On September 2nd, 1940 Gillam was shot down by a Bf110 but he was picked up though by Air Sea Rescue Launch off Dunkirk. March 1942 saw him forming the first Typhoon Wing at Duxford and subsequently taking command of 20 Sector 2nd TAF in April 1944. In October 1944 he led an attack on the German Staff Conference at Dordrecht which killed many of the senior staff of the 15th Army.

Gillam left the RAF late in 1945 but rejoined 616 Squadron as a Flight Lieutenant in the RAuxAF and became Director and Chairman of Homfray Carpets in Halifax and Deputy Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire. He then returned to his farm with his second wife, the sister of Air Vice-Marshal Bird-Wilson.

• Like 6

Good morning Nigel. Good to see you here. Hope you're keeping well.

Well that certainly looks like some serious kit to go with your kit! I will definitely be following your progress on this one. Somewhere in the dim (because it's me) and distant future I fancy having a go at one of these Revell 1/32 Spitfire's, so I've already got this thread book marked...............so no pressure...................... :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Curses! I hadn't spotted that someone else was doing exactly the same aeroplane or I would have chosen some other markings ( I still might ). I hope you remove those lozenge shaped plates onthe wings. One of the B of B Memorial Flight Spitfires which was rebuilt after an accident has re-enforcing plates on the wings, so perhaps this is was what Revell were looking at when they were planning this kit.

It would be interesting to see them side by side when completed. Are you planning a trip to France in about three months by any chance?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Good morning Nigel. Good to see you here. Hope you're keeping well.

Well that certainly looks like some serious kit to go with your kit! I will definitely be following your progress on this one. Somewhere in the dim (because it's me) and distant future I fancy having a go at one of these Revell 1/32 Spitfire's, so I've already got this thread book marked...............so no pressure...................... :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, Honoured to have you along for the ride :)

I too shall be following your build sir :Tasty:

• Like 1

Curses! I hadn't spotted that someone else was doing exactly the same aeroplane or I would have chosen some other markings ( I still might ). I hope you remove those lozenge shaped plates onthe wings. One of the B of B Memorial Flight Spitfires which was rebuilt after an accident has re-enforcing plates on the wings, so perhaps this is was what Revell were looking at when they were planning this kit.

It would be interesting to see them side by side when completed. Are you planning a trip to France in about three months by any chance?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks for dropping in. Please don't change your choice - will be nice to see the same model being built by another :)

Re. the plates, I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to know any better :dunce: I'm more an 'enjoy the build' than 'exact replica' individual. Having said that, I'm always eager to learn :smartass:

I'll follow your build with interest :popcorn:

Cheers

One cockpit coming up (hopefully). I've cleaned everything and an drilled holes in the frames. I'll need to remove the front of the instrument panel for the etch parts else all should be good for assembly and painting!!

Included are plastic, etch and resin parts so it's a nice mix from the off :)

IMG_1299_zpsvkhbxc1h.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

The aftermarket parts look (as expected) far superior than the standard parts. I'm hoping they add that 'little extra' to the overall build :)

Well, I've started with sub-assembles and basic coats of paint. I'll be adding the panel next and a couple of washes later on but here's where we are for starters

IMG_1351_zpskwyeind7.jpg

• Like 4

Found some time tonight to add some etch and put them together. Realised when looking at photos I have used the wrong piece for the compass so need to rectify this! :banghead:

IMG_1367_zpsct3wxb5k.jpg

IMG_1372_zpsza1kgvgq.jpg

IMG_1377_zpsjgaedds0.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good. I particularly like the seat belts, whose did you use? I havn't decided yet on mine, HGW do two sets for the early Spitfire and I just can't make up my mind on which ones to go for.

Looking forward to more soon.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

That really looks the business! I have to say I'm a little bit jealous........ I really like the cockpit stages of building Spitfires and yours, in this scale, looks like it would be great to make. I'm going to have to move up a scale at some point........maybe not just yet though - got my two 1/48s on the go and a couple of other projects in mind.

• Like 1

Looking good. I particularly like the seat belts, whose did you use? I havn't decided yet on mine, HGW do two sets for the early Spitfire and I just can't make up my mind on which ones to go for.

Looking forward to more soon.

Cheers

John

Thanks John - The belts are part of the BigEd (Eduard) pack.

I'm looking forward t seeing your build with the alternative aftermarket offerings :)

That really looks the business! I have to say I'm a little bit jealous........ I really like the cockpit stages of building Spitfires and yours, in this scale, looks like it would be great to make. I'm going to have to move up a scale at some point........maybe not just yet though - got my two 1/48s on the go and a couple of other projects in mind.

I'd love to follow a 1/32 Stix thread!!

Go on, you know can squeeze one more in ;)

I'm surprised about the belts, I thought they would by 'fabric', usually etched belts don't look too good in 1/32. Did you have any problems bending them?

Regards

John

Hopefully I will finish my wing surgery today and can get on with my ( and probably everyone else's ) favourite part, the cockpit.

Edited by Biggles87

The house emptied early this morning so I've cracked on. I added some additional formers from plastic strip along with the standard and etch parts.

We're on holiday as of Saturday for 10 days so I'm going to try and complete the cockpit before we go :banghead:

Now for some paint :)

IMG_1388_zpsdxpocmt2.jpg

• Like 2

I'm surprised about the belts, I thought they would by 'fabric', usually etched belts don't look too good in 1/32. Did you have any problems bending them?

Regards

John

Hopefully I will finish my wing surgery today and can get on with my ( and probably everyone else's ) favourite part, the cockpit.

No issues John. Although a tad fiddly they were surprisingly easy to work with :)

Wow that cockpit could stand alone as a model right now, wonderful,

Sean

Thank you Sean. It's proving a really enjoyable build. I've not built an aircraft at this scale before but I could get a taste for it :)

Very neat and tidy work on the etch there. Nicely done! :thumbsup:

Thanks Stix - Hoping to add a bit more tomorrow!!

• Like 2