Project #4: Eduard 1/48 Me110C 2/JG76

This is going to be an iconic kit for me. One of my treasured BoB books is the Dennis Knight activity book I had as a boy.

DSCN2247.jpg

In the first page, it had a re-touched image of a crashlanded Me 110. There's something about it that grabbed my attention, and I recently found the original image online, showing the codes. As it happened, I also found out that this precise airframe is an option in the Eduard kit, so job done! Am aware that the Eduard kit is apparently tricky in places, but am looking forward to it nonetheless.

DSCN2248.jpg

Here's the kit.

DSCN2244.jpgDSCN2243.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, as this is by far the most complex model I will be doing out of five models in process for this GB, I had better get going. While the Eduard 110 is , I think, considered to be a very good model, it isn't the easiest kit by all accounts. So far, I have concentrated on the major assemblies where people have reported issues, namely the nose cone and the engine nacelle/wing connection.

With the nose, I decided to glue them both to one fuselage half, figuring a good fit here would at least reduce some of the sanding! Got a good result, although some filler/sanding will be required; then again, I do on every kit, even Tamiya!

DSCN2452.jpg

Next up were the engines and wings. By holding the pieces both top and bottom, I got a pretty good result from both atop the wing and the bottom connection, both of which have got dodgy comments from other builders. Once again, not the best fit of parts, but nothing disastrous and nothing a smidgen of filler and a quick sand won't sort out in short order.

DSCN2448.jpgDSCN2449.jpg

Lastly, I have made a start on the cockpit. I have elected not to use the supplied PE (well, maybe the seatbelts) because I have never had any success with PE, and somehow prepainted PE seems a little too close to 'modelling cheating' somehow! Besides which, while some people go for cockpits, I'm more of a camo and markings kinda guy; 'artistic verisimilitude' will do here, especially as the canopy will be firmly closed! That said, the plastic parts that Eduard supply are more than ample; they even have three instrument panels for different versions with the tiniest differences!

DSCN2453.jpg#

Since then; props done, and time to start painting the cockpit. All my other projects will be 'published' on the significant date to do with those machines, but this was shot down on the 4th September; won't get this done by then!

• Like 3