Project#3: Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 603 squadron Richard Hilary -++finished in time for 75th Anniversary 3rd Sept++

I have been very interested in the BoB since I was about 6, and have been irrationally proud of the fact my birthday is also the official start date. Over the years I have amassed a decent amount of BoB literature. One of these (and something I am about to re-read) is Richard Hillary's famous book the Last Enemy, In it, it describes his training and entry into the BoB, and amongst other things his close friendship with Peter Pease also on 603 squadron. Peter Pease was shot down and killed in September. I have already built Pease's plane a couple of years using the still very good old tool Spitfire mk1, so I thought I'd do Hilary's plane to go with it - brothers in arms. I'll use Xtradecal generic codes to make this up according to the profile in the Osprey book.

DSCN2261.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 6

Right - an update! Have been messing around with wings and prop, but thought I'd better get going with the cockpit. Basically OOB, but I added seat armour from plasticard, seatbelts with strips of Tamiya tape, and put in a piece of clear plastic for the gunsight. Oh, and I replaced the reinforcement beam (?) at the back of the cockpit with something slightly more in scale.

So not really OOB at all. Am pleased with result; will marry all the major components together in the next couple of days once I start on my hols... oh, I include the profile of Hilary's machine I working from. Have got up to his posting to his first spitfire squadron in his book 'The Last Enemy' - compulsive reading if you haven't already!

DSCN2277.jpgDSCN2255.jpg

• Like 3

Right - quick update! Props done, and the main airframe altogether, and canopy futured ready for masking. People often say this is a dodgy fit, but if you apply a couple of gentle swipes with a sanding stick on the rear of the canopy, put the windscreen in first and then push the rear in last you should be rewarded with a perfect fit, I just applied a tiny smear of PVA to the edges for belt and braces. Anyway, final sanding, masking and priming next.

DSCN2305.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. I sprayed on my favoured brand of 'Sky', namely Tamiya Sky, and finished off the wheels last night. Tonight's task: mask off the undersides and spray the brown. I also finished the Last Enemy last week on hol; it makes for a very interesting perspective. Hilary initially took the line that fighting was a chance for him to 'fully realize' himself in combat, but gradually his experiences led to him to believe he was fighting for something much bigger than his own experience. After being terribly burned, in the final chapter of the book, he describes an incident in which he is called upon to help dig out a mother and child from the rubble of a bombed building. Although the incident may, apparently, be slightly apocryphal in nature, its emotional impact is nonetheless huge. Essentially, he is looking at the dying mother, who then looks at Hilary and sees his burnt face, and says 'It looks like they got you too.' Hilary goes on to describe in detail his emotional realisation of what he is actually fighting for; not for himself but to protect ordinary people from the evil that Nazism represented.

A damned good read if you get the chance.

DSCN2430.jpg

• Like 1

Making rapid progress now. I am planning to have this model ready for the 3rd September, which will 75 years to the day that Richard Hilary went down in this particular plane. In fact all of my projects bar one (my Eduard 110) are intended to be published on the day they either were shot down/crashlanded/did the shooting down. Anyway... having sprayed in Tamiya sky, masked it all up and sprayed the Humbrol acrylic earth brown. I didn't mix this properly, so it didn't spray very well; I got the dread rough grainy finish from the particles drying in mid air. Took a deep breath and sanded it back - all saved! I generally freehand the green camo, but decided to do the silly putty technique instead - well pleased with the result, aside from having to slightly alter the green on the port wing to more closely match the actual scheme. I have also glossed it with Xtracrylix Gloss varnish ready for a light dose of weathering and decals. Oh, and I also masked off and sprayed the red tape over the gun ports, but forgot to take a photo!

DSCN24371.jpgDSCN24381.jpgDSCN24391.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 3

Evening all, well, am putting on the decals, but in the meantime was somewhat chuffed to find an actual picture (I think) of the aircraft I am modelling. This is handy to confirm code styles, which seem to vary an awful lot in practice. The picture is from Alfred Price's BoB book, and just happened upon it. It is dated early September, which makes it the right time frame for Hilary's Spitfire before it went down in flames on the 3rd. It is also pictured next to 222sqn Spitfires, which is handy as I have one of these in my collection - possible diorama! Will post the finished article on the 3rd to mark the 75th anniversary of Richard Hilary's fateful encounter with Helmut Bode of JG2 above Margate.

DSCN2492.jpg

• Like 1

As a quick historical aside, Hilary used this aircraft to knock down an Me109 off Dungeness exactly 75 years ago today (i.e. the 31st August). He would claim for several more over the next three days before being shot down in it off Margate on the 3rd if September.

• Like 2

Well - finished! And published in time for the 75th anniversary of Hilary's fateful sortie when he was brought down by Helmut Bode on the 3rd September 1940. Hilary claimed several more kills between the 31st and the 3rd, when his luck ran out. There is a vivid description of his desperate fight to get out of his burning cockpit in his book the Last Enemy, and his recuperation afterward that puts in context some of the sacrifices made by many of the Few. I've used Xtradecal codes and serials to produce the model, and all things considered was a great kit. This'll go in the cabinet along side his friend and comrade Peter Pease's Spitfire XT*B, who was to be killed on the 15th September.

DSCN2489.jpgDSCN2480.jpgDSCN2481.jpgDSCN2479.jpgDSCN2483.jpgDSCN2482.jpg

• Like 3