Project # 1: 1/72 Airfix Bf109 2/JG3 +++Finished+++

Evening all,

Well, it's finally here. I am really going to go for it this summer; every year I build a BoB model, but this time I have cleared the decks of all unfinished models (well, apart from my Phantom for the F-4 GB!) and will be entirely concentrating on the BoB this Summer. First up is the Airfix 1/72 BF109E4 in the markings 2/JG3, this from the Xtradecal 70th BoB anniversary sheet. I am going to do this wheels up, which is a increasing trend with my modelling, and will go on an Airfix stand along with the JG27 example built last year. I'll be using an Eduard canopy set as well.

DSCN2249.jpgDSCN2246.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 4

A quick update - cockpit all done. Am currently working on the pilot to go in it! Must also fous on model not thumb next time...

DSCN2278.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 3

No worries, your thumb is extremely photogenic, so all is good!!!

And the 109 happens to look like it is shaping up. Great paint scheme you have chosen. We should all have a Tatzelwurm on our shelves, if only to ward the evil eye off!

JR

Well, the spinner on this plane has taken awhile! The spinner is a quarter white, so this was sprayed and then masked off before the dark green went on. I used a spare circular strip(not the solid circle they often use to mask a hub, but the circular strip they sometimes use to mask the tyre) from an Eduard masking set in the spares box to mask off the tip so I could do the red tip. Am pretty pleased with how it's turned out, although the picture makes it look much less smooth than it looks in real life; onto the pilot (if I can find him...) and the wings!

DSCN2301.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Progress . . . of a sort. Decided I couldn't live with the overly thick pilot's armour, so replaced it with v.thin plastcard, with a small square laminated on for the headrest. Am pleased with how it turned out. Am just going to add a tiny piece of clear plastic for the gunsight, and paint the headrest a leather colour before I close the cockpit up and get masking. Also managed to lose one of the exhausts, so Quickboost to the rescue here - a big improvement!

DSCN2436.jpg

• Like 2

Quick update. I've tidied up the cockpit after replacing the armour, and added a reflector gunsight cut from a blister pack... not that you can see it in the pic! Have since added the canopy mask prior to starting the painting.

DSCN24411.jpg

• Like 3

Need to get a motor on to do this for the 75th anniversary of this plane coming down on August 29th 1940. Today was masking day! Given the multiple different colours, it's a case of doing it bit by bit. First off was to get the white on as a base for the yellow, followed by a quick rectangle of RLM65 on the nose for the Tatzelwurm symbol. This was then masked with a rectangle of Tamiya tape prior to giving nose, wingtips, rudder and tail plane tips a coat of matt Tamiya yellow. It's not as lurid as it looks in the pics! Next on; a coat of Tamiya RLM grey before masking the wings and fuselage for the splinter application of Xtracrylix RLM70. I'm going to leave this overnight before I mask off the top of the fuselage and wings, and do the final spray of RLM65 blue for the fuselage sides and undersides. After that. . . mottling...! In the meantime, am going to see if I can find out something about the pilot.

DSCN2460.jpgDSCN2461.jpgDSCN2462.jpgDSCN2463.jpgDSCN2464.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 2

Quick update! Blue and mottle on (had to faff around with my airbrush on this, but am pleased with the result) and then off with the masking. Am rather chuffed to note that no touch-ups required, so I've gloss coated this in readiness for the decals. Have thoroughly enjoyed this kit; there will be others, but maybe not for this GB!

DSCN2465.jpgDSCN2466.jpgDSCN2467.jpgDSCN2468.jpg

Good show, the mottling looks real good!

Even the one on your fingers will pass muster!

Congrats.

JR

PS: Are the tips of the horizontal stabilizers really yellow? I've never seen that before, but with the Luftwaffe nothing would surprise me!

Good show, the mottling looks real good!

Even the one on your fingers will pass muster!

Congrats.

JR

PS: Are the tips of the horizontal stabilizers really yellow? I've never seen that before, but with the Luftwaffe nothing would surprise me!

Well, I'll be honest about the yellow tips to the tail planes-I don't know! Xtradecal's sheet shows it in tbe plan views, and my SAM models monograph on Bf109Es from the BoB shows this as an option, so on it went! I'd appreciate any comments from those in the know!

Well, had a very satisfying session of applying the decals, and am now done. Quick coat of Xtracrylix matt varnish, some light oil weathering around the exhausts and off with the masking. Oh, also added the quickboost exhausts which are a subtle but distinct improvement over the kit parts. Thoroughly enjoyed this kit and subject; will be doing another (not in this GB though!) to model one the fighter bomber option off the Xtradecal sheet. Will post in the gallery section later on tonight.

DSCN2473.jpgDSCN2470.jpgDSCN2476.jpgDSCN2469.jpgDSCN2474.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 5

Damn! Forgot to mention that I finished this on the 29th, and meant to post on that date- as this would have 75years ago to the day that this machine was brought down at Pevensey! Can't believe I mucked up the date-got it stuck in my head it was today-doh! Anyway, thanks for kind comments!