92 Sqn Spitfire - No Blight here

'Tis indeed Titch Havercroft's.

He bent it during a night landing at Pembury on 31 August.

After repair,it went to 602 Sqn in November 1940 where it lasted until lost with

602 on 14 February,1941.

Titch(he was only 5'2") however,fared somewhat better than his old steed.

He passed away in 1995 at 79 years old.

He retired from the RAF in 1963,having flown 171 types of aircraft and amassed nearly 3000 hours

in the process.

Good on yer Cookie for doing Titch's Spit.

• Like 5

Nice info miggers, love the stories behind these beautiful machine's.

Cookie, the belts look great!! Makes me want to prise open the hurricane and re do mine.... I won't but its the thought that counts.

Also great work with the paint work in the CP.

Looking forward to the result you get with chipping. Are you using salt or masking sol?

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

Nice work Cookie B)

I used the Eduard canopy masks as they are among the earlier ones that offer reasonable value for money, though that is probably not the case once they have been exported to the U.S. - are you planning to 'hand-mask' it?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Guess I will watch a Spitfire build, though they seem to be a dime a dozen in this GB :pilot:

She is looking good so far. Me and CA don't get along very well. Did you run the glue around the fuselage parts and then stick them together or had them mostly together and ran the glue in between?

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, your Hurricane coming along nicely. I'm realizing that it's a more difficult kit than the Airfix Spitfire, let alone trying to modify the wings!

Cheers Stew, I'm planning on masking it the old fashion way. I haven't used pre-cut canopy masks yet, and I know it will be difficult to go back when I do, so I keep putting it off.

Hi Phil, yes this is a very popular kit on this site and GB, and well it should be; it's a really enjoyable build.You must have thrown a stone in the air, and had it land here. Welcome to yet another Spitfire!

I glued the halves together with Tamiya Extra-thin, and then 'beaded' over the seam with CA using a toothpick.

Oh, and I hope you finish your Honduran P-38, it's nearly there and looking great.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Filed for future use.

The P-38 is on hold until I get back from Nationals. But I am close and will get it done. Got a review kit left over from the SciFi build I am trying to finish before I go and maybe something quick to take, possibly a figure.

Then have the new Airfix Dakota for a review after I get back and then the What If build starts (plus trying the non injection GB). Too many projects, got to prioritize but reviews first. They are already late.

I do have the Spit in my stash (as well as their Mk IX and Hasagawa's Mk IX) and it may go in the What If build as I want to do a Dutch version in the orange triangle markings (if they had held out a bit longer or Spit production had been a bit faster).

• Like 1

Hi Cookie,

I've been away for a few days from BM, due to my Phantom builds and couldn't properly follow your build. Sorry about that. It's looking great and I second your tip about using CA for gap filling.

My first kit after returning to modelling was the Airfix Spit Mk I and I agree with you it is a really nice little kit.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Phil, sounds like you have lots on your plate! Forgive my ignorance, but who do you do reviews for? I hope you enjoy Nationals.

PlaStix, it's easy to go fast when I add about 3% of the detail you do.

Jaime, I've been avidly following you Phantom builds. I love the intake work in the latest update!

I got the canopy masked and airbrushed some MM enamel Sky (cut with a little Light grey) as a primer coat - well final coat for the bottom (hopefully).

IMG_2112_zpswskcg8jf.jpg

It's sitting next to 92 Sqn successors, a Phantom up top and a whif tail from the Tornado GB that I really need to get back to as I had to actually dust it off.

• Like 5

Smooth Cookie, really smooth. I like the idea of using one of the colours as a base coat / primer - I think I'll take that as a top tip! :)

• Like 1

Jaime, I've been avidly following you Phantom builds. I love the intake work in the latest update!

I got the canopy masked and airbrushed some MM enamel Sky (cut with a little Light grey) as a primer coat - well final coat for the bottom (hopefully).

It's sitting next to 92 Sqn successors, a Phantom up top and a whif tail from the Tornado GB that I really need to get back to as I had to actually dust it off.

Thanks for your interest in my Phantoms, Cookie. I see that you also are having a go at this type :) Do you have a WIP for it? Sorry if I missed it, but it's been really difficult for me to keep up to date with all excellent WIPs going on...

I think your idea of using one of the colours as a primer is good. My only problem would be choosing a neutral enough colour in order not to give any tonal bias to the remaining ones. I usually use Tamiya'x XF-19 Sky Grey as a primer. For brighter colors I use matt white as a primer. I've only used Alclad primers when I need to use Alclad metallic paints.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

It's a nice shortcut if the scheme allows for it. I've used it on RAF TLS and DFS, as well as USAAF OD/NG as they have nice neutral colors that can act as a primer for the others. I usually use an enamel as the base as it sticks to the plastic well, and then acrylics over the top as they seem to like a nice matt base.

Jaime, here is the link to the Phantom build thread, and the Tornado if you're interested. The Phantom is the 1/72 Fujimi, the same as yours, but not built to the same standard as yours I'm unashamed to admit.

• Like 2

The Spit is coming on nicely Cookie, I like the idea for the "primer", I usually use one of the top coats for a primer myself,

and the bottom is usually a grey anyway on a lot of planes, so that takes care of itself.

I have found the book "First Light" to be one of the best flying bios I've read. There is a real sense of what he was going through,

and the effects of the battles upon himself. I'm sure you'll enjoy it,

Sean

• Like 1

It's a nice shortcut if the scheme allows for it. I've used it on RAF TLS and DFS, as well as USAAF OD/NG as they have nice neutral colors that can act as a primer for the others. I usually use an enamel as the base as it sticks to the plastic well, and then acrylics over the top as they seem to like a nice matt base.

Jaime, here is the link to the Phantom build thread, and the Tornado if you're interested. The Phantom is the 1/72 Fujimi, the same as yours, but not built to the same standard as yours I'm unashamed to admit.

Cookie, thanks for the links to your WIPs. Great work you have there. There's nothing to be shy about. You can be proud of your results with the Phantom (and Lightning) and the on-going work on the Tornado is quite impressive e shows great attention to detail.

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Jaime

• Like 1

Great work Cookie watching carefully as this one's to come later from me,I am at the paint stage of the new tool Hurricane so after priming I am

trying your silver finish then maskol and chipping.

• Like 1

This GB is just amazing, it's impossible to keep up with everything that I'd like to.

A small update on this one - I got the bottom masked and painted the Dark Earth, a mix of Model Master and Misterkit.

IMG_2119_zpsqudki9ks.jpg

Oh, and I received my copy of First Light and am well into it. Thanks for the recommendation, it is an amazing read.

• Like 14