A Pair of 1/72 Kosciuszko Hurricanes

I've been busy trying to get the bench cleared up for this one, the modelling event of the year. I've become an admirer of the Polish 303 'Kosciuszko' Squadron over the past year or two, and I figure this GB is a great opportunity to honor them.

I'm planning on building the new tool Airfix kit as L2099, RF-O, one of two 303 fabric winged Hurricanes I've managed to find (the other is L1696). It was used by Walery Zak, Josef Frantisek, Athol Forbes, Marian Belc and Witold Lokuciewski (and that's just the pilots I could find in various sources) to claim victories throughout September and October of 1940.

The second Hurricane will be converted to a metal wing following Tony O'Toole's (tonyot) example. I'm still not sure which specific 303 aircraft it will be though.

IMG_2057_zpsspqr1rhj.jpg

• Like 7

Here is my little 303 Sqn collection so far:

IMG_2087_zps1vm4o9me.jpg

From front to back, AZ Spitfire IIB, AZ Spitfire IXC, Airfix Spitfire IIA, all 1/72.

I'm looking forward to adding a couple Hurricanes.

Thanks Procopius, Enzo, Paul and Mish for putting this one together.

• Like 5

Cookenbacher,

Nice looking set of hurricanes. Do you buy your models in New Mxeico? As when I've been I could never find a hobby shop.

Nice collection of spits.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

Thanks Hockeyboy, Hurricanes for both of us it is.

Hi Ozzy, the new tools were purchased online, but the old tool came from Hal's Hobby Warehouse in El Paso, TX, the nearest big city to me.

Wow looks like you could spend a lot in that shop. My time in NM was spent in albuquerque and socorro, if I had known about this shop I would have driven down and had a look.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Hi Cookenbacher

the old tool gets a panning, but the wings are good in outline compared to the Bentley plans once you sand off the battleship rivets!

I'm not sure that L2099 would be fabric winged. L2047 is metal winged

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/#entry1673827

dinner calls

HTH

T

• Like 1

Ozzy, Hal's seems to be one of the few remaining true hobby shops around here. RC cars and planes seem to be its main emphasis, but it's got an amazing model section with lots of kits, old and new.

Troy, the old tool is to mainly serve as a metal wing donator. Thanks for the link to L2047. Now I'm not so sure L2099 would be fabric winged. I've been going on the fact that the AZ kit of this aircraft is fabric winged, and a reference pic that shows the old 'pole' type antenna mast (the wing itself is not really visible in the pic). But, the pics of L2047 show the 'pole' type mast and metal wings. Worst comes to worst, I can do two types of conversion: one with metal wings donated from the old tool kit, and one with wings filled and rescribed along with moving the landing light to represent another metal winged bird.

Mitch, since you're doing Urbanowicz's Hurricane, perhaps I'll build Kent's. Between us, we could have our own 303 section.

Rob, we've been looking forward to this one for a while! I'll follow your 151 Sqn builds/modifications with great interest.

• Like 1

Indeed we have! I need to get cracking as the tiffie is not playing ball... Time to break out the trusty hurricane!

If you need a spare set of wings I can rip them off my hurricanes for you? Might take a while to reach? It's looking like they will need to be sacrificed for their prop anyway!

Now I know whey there are no decent hurricane kits in 1/72 too many variables 4 types of prop (i think) and that's not counting the whatts (?). Good job there are people on this forum that know more than me! (Hi troy)

Rob

• Like 1

Troy, the old tool is to mainly serve as a metal wing donator. Thanks for the link to L2047. Now I'm not so sure L2099 would be fabric winged. I've been going on the fact that the AZ kit of this aircraft is fabric winged, and a reference pic that shows the old 'pole' type antenna mast (the wing itself is not really visible in the pic). But, the pics of L2047 show the 'pole' type mast and metal wings. Worst comes to worst, I can do two types of conversion: one with metal wings donated from the old tool kit, and one with wings filled and rescribed along with moving the landing light to represent another metal winged bird.

the pole antenna is standard fit on the L**** and N**** serialed planes, which were the first two production batches, possibly even some very early P**** planes too.

As always, try to work from a photo.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Cookie, nice choices. I'll be keeping an eye on these as I'm building three Hurricanes myself, although

one is a Revell kit. Best of luck with the conversion,

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, thanks for the wing offer, but I have a few sets too!

Troy, thanks for your insight. I've decided to do both Hurricanes with metal wings as a result.

Thanks Sean, I'll need to pop over and see what you're up to with your Hurricanes.

Ced!

Charlie, it took me a while to get it!

Here's a couple pics of a Hurricane XII that I took during a trip to the Pima Air Museum in March with the esteemed Procopius himself.

IMG_1539_zpsscb1omkx.jpg

IMG_1540_zpsrcvpqh8b.jpg

As you can see, the wings are surprisingly rivety. Not 'battleship' rivety, as Troy would say, but you can see what the old Airfix designers were going for.

Well, I just plowed ahead as otherwise I'd sit around forever worrying about how to do the conversions. I sanded down the monster rivets on the old kit, but left them a little bit visible as a guide to future scribing and then hacked away. For the other set, I used generic wood putty and then some precious Perfect Plastic Putty to fill the fabric portions. The main problem with PPP is that it can't be wet sanded, so it left quite a mess.

IMG_2108_zpsq9z4f9lb.jpg

If you happen to be watching this thread for tips, I recommend Troy's conversion with the old kit, and Mitch's putty method as they are definitely more accomplished!l

I promise that the wings will eventually look better. They certainly can't look any worse. Time for some clean up and learning how to scribe properly. Nothing like jumping into the deep end!

• Like 7

Interesting, your donor wings look quite different to mine. Different eras of tooling I guess. Waiting for the transfers to turn up before I decide which 303 kite to add to the section scramble...