Hurricane Mk I - Ian Gleed, 87 Sqdn. 1/72 Airfix ++ FINISHED ++

I'll be building Ian 'Widge' Gleed's No. 87 Squadron RAF Hawker Hurricane Mk I from the Airfix 1/72 kit, OOB as usual for me (apart from the markings of course and a bit of fiddling).

I wanted to build something that was near Bath and Wikipedia says "The first occupants of Charmy Down was No. 87 Squadron RAF, with night-fighting Hawker Hurricanes..." They were on detachment from Exeter and were covering Bristol from Colerne and / or Charmy Down. This is covered in Gleed's book "Arise to Conquer" (thanks to Airgunner for the reference).

LK-A sported the "Figaro" Cat Motif from Disney's Pinocchio clawing a Swastika with Blood soaked Paw. This is covered in XtraDecal sheet X72222 (scheme and more later when I get back to Blighty!).

Chocks away!

• Like 14

Good choice Ced, I am going to attempt a second build with the new Airfix 1/48 Hurricane ( if it ever arrives!) probably in the markings of Pete Brothers or possibly Tom Neil.

There will be so many builds to watch that I'll have to be careful not to just watch, but get on with mine also.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hey Ced

Was Gleed's Hurricane definitely a fabric wing as per the new AF kit or are you using the "vintage " raised panel line version? If so when I've done my metal wing 72 Hasegawa Hurricane as Nicholson's, I might do Gleed's as I have the decals and would like to keep as many of my precious Hasegawa metal wing Hurricanes for future builds.

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1

Hi John - I know what you mean! I've just had a chance to review the GB threads so far and there's so much there one could spend all their time reading!

Hi Anil - I've no idea I'm afraid and I'm not that serious about my subjects... I'll be building OOB so please don't follow me for historical accuracy! That said, serial is P2798 and I know you've posted in espantello's thread where there are some photos. Can you tell from those if it was fabric or metal? Either way I'll probably carry on regardless, although you've planted doubt in my head now! :)

Good choice Ced, I am going to attempt a second build with the new Airfix 1/48 Hurricane ( if it ever arrives!) probably in the markings of Pete Brothers or possibly Tom Neil.

There will be so many builds to watch that I'll have to be careful not to just watch, but get on with mine also.

Cheers

John

Tom Neil!! Oh sorry only if your taking votes John....

Ced pretty sure gleed was a metal wing TBH. But crack on if that's what you want to build... Or you could rescribe the old kit and as you alawys have the wheels up you need not worry about the UC bay... Or you could just build an old one, they come out OK...

Or just crack on no one should judge!

Rob

• Like 1

Hey Ced

Was Gleed's Hurricane definitely a fabric wing as per the new AF kit or are you using the "vintage " raised panel line version? If so when I've done my metal wing 72 Hasegawa Hurricane as Nicholson's, I might do Gleed's as I have the decals and would like to keep as many of my precious Hasegawa metal wing Hurricanes for future builds.

Cheers

Anil

Hi John - I know what you mean! I've just had a chance to review the GB threads so far and there's so much there one could spend all their time reading!

Hi Anil - I've no idea I'm afraid and I'm not that serious about my subjects... I'll be building OOB so please don't follow me for historical accuracy! That said, serial is P2798 and I know you've posted in espantello's thread where there are some photos. Can you tell from those if it was fabric or metal? Either way I'll probably carry on regardless, although you've planted doubt in my head now! :)

Metal.

To do Gleed's plane in 1/72nd use the old Airfix kit.

Not may fabric wing planes were built, usually quoted as 600, and while it's often said many were rewinged, remember an awful lot got lost in France.

At least two survivors retained fabric wings into training command, the Science museum L1952, and this one
and given that there wasn't a shortage of Hurricanes, the old planes would get passed on to 2nd line duties, and unless damaged, would they rewing them?
the pics and stuff quoted in the other thread.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984771-hawker-hurricane-mki-i-r-gleed-87-squadron-raf-hasegawa-148/

Hi

this should help

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945878-night-hurricane/

specifically, note has pictures of plane as nightfighter and before. It has the red flashes behind spinner in the daylight scheme.

The scheme is based on Ian Gleed's plane, when was Sq ldr, in winter 40/41 and Hurricanes were being used as nightfighter's.

the plane was previously in standard TLS.

IN this earlier version it was a decal option done by Airfix on the 1/24th kit [red spinner, no flash] and Hasegawa 1/48 th [pale blue spinner, with flash]

found some pics on a hyperscale bunfight

LK-A.jpg

this is cropped, the orig you can see the wing of the Hurricane from which the photo was taken. Do a goggle image search for more ;)

the oversize fuselage roundel was result of adding a 7 inch yellow ring to an existing 35 A type roundel.

another thread

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?31810-Hawker-Hurricane-Mk-I-of-I-R-Gleed-87-Sqn

1.jpg

There is a photo in Hurricane at War 2 which clearly shows the red flash behind the spinner as well.

Gleed's 'Figaro' cat emblem painted on the escape panel

Gleed-portrait2-opt%5B1%5D.jpg

survives to this day in the RAF museum

Figaro800x458.jpgLooking at this again, the sharp eyed will notice the panel preserved in the RAF musuem is a different 'Figaro' to the one of Gleed in the cockpit.

I think there is mention of this in the RAF musuem...there may even be 2 panels there.

Been too long since I was there and I don't need to go off on a hunt for that info right now....

Note, the preserved panel, the paint is chipped on the metal parts, but the main part of the panel is plywood covered in fabric, if you look carefully in the lower left you can see some wear on the fabric.

this is the pic from Hurricane at War 2, note the nose flash

Hurricane_Ian_Gleed_87_sqd_nose_flash.jp

also

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61201-gloster-hurricane-cockpit-colour/

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/page-2

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page-3#entry1682406

I know....I keep repeating myself...

• Like 4

My two done early on below.

20150710_200046_RichtoneHDR_zpsyf2asw2n.

20150710_200027_RichtoneHDR_zpsdcvioufx.

One is from the VC cross set the other is from another vc cross set but done in fictional markings (I didn't have 4 at the time supposedly from a gunnery school)

Hope that helps.... I can delete if you wish.

Rob

• Like 3

Metal.

To do Gleed's plane in 1/72nd use the old Airfix kit.

Ced to quote a great long gone modeller, "Build what you want, the way you want to and above all, have fun" I'm going to be OCD and build Gleed's plane at some point after this GB as I have the metal wing Hasegawa boxing in the pile I bought in from Japan with the right decals. The old Airfix is fine but jeez I hate scribing, I end up creating a Jackson Pollock masterpiece in relief styrene...

Anil

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, Troy and Anil :)

Grrrnnnn naaahhhh gaaaaah! Just some of the expressions going through my indecisive head...

Can I get a metal wing Mk I?

Hannants - no (only new Airfix or fabric) Searched again for just 'Hurricane' and waded through eight pages. Still no.

Models r Go - nope

Scale Model Shop - uh uh

eModels - they have a 'Battle of Britain Experience Gift Set' - hmmm

Creative models' search keeps changing 1:72 or 1/72 to 172 and not finding anything. No time to fiddle, sorry guys :(

Model Hobbies - have an Airfix A01010. Now I'm confused. This is a new tool fabric wing Mk I. I have A02067 which is, er, a new tool fabric wing. I guess it has more parts?

Wonderland - nah

Amazon? Airfix A02082A available for £62.11 from 'Dream Country'. Yeah, dream on! :rofl:

(Are you getting bored yet?)

Kingkit - website not responding.

Relish Models (who?) - Airfix AF02082a "now includes markings for the following aircraft: Flt. Lt. Ian "Widge" Gleed, No.87 Squadron, RAF Exeter, August 1940". YES! Out of stock, rats!

Right, one final go, let's search for an Airfix 2082. Nope. But that is the kit in the BoB set. ORDERED!

Thanks you for waiting... your call is important to us... a suitable Hurricane will be with you shortly.

• Like 5

Hi John :) I'm saving larger scales until I can't see the little bits!

Yes, got home after getting the early flight, thanks for asking. Paddington reminded me of the Wildebeest migration, without, thankfully, the crocodiles.

https://youtu.be/JMJXvsCLu6s

Should have said it's this set I've ordered so I'll be building the Spitfire Mk II as well, scheme to be chosen (from the transfer sets I bought). And maybe the Bf109E-4, but that would possibly need mottling (shudder).

• Like 1

That looks like a useful set. My Hurricane finally arrived today and I have decided on the 32 sqdn aircraft of Pete Brothers as I had the great pleasure and privalage of talking to him for several minutes at Duxford many years ago.

Waiting eagerly for an update.

John

• Like 1

Hi C, I have that very same set and using the Hurricane from it. It looks alright, no flash or anything missing.

Which decal sheet have you got?

Sean

Glad the Hurri's arrived John - looking forward to seeing it... are you doing a WiP? Meeting Pete Brothers was a treat - very envious :)

Welcome HOUSTON, glad to have you along!

Hi Sean, glad to hear the kit looks alright! I'm using XtraDecal sheet X72222 from Hannants, details here.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I didn't know you had to use up the whole sheet!

I also have the BoB X72117 and may build the Defiant, Hurricane and/or Blenheim from that. Maybe not all of them, but I do have those three kits kits. And the Hurricane new tool I can't use for Gleed's. Oh, and the Spitfire coming in the new set I've ordered.

Oh dear, looks like I might be busy... :)

Hi Ced, I'm very pleased with the Hurricane, it really is as good as everyone says. I plan to concentrate on the Spitfire for a few weeks and if it's going OK I will then start the Hurricane on the GB as a 'from the box' build and I will post a WIP.

I hope that you're kit doesn't take as long to arrive as mine did!

John

• Like 1

Hmmm. I didn't know you had to use up the whole sheet!

I also have the BoB X72117 and may build the Defiant, Hurricane and/or Blenheim from that. Maybe not all of them, but I do have those three kits kits. And the Hurricane new tool I can't use for Gleed's. Oh, and the Spitfire coming in the new set I've ordered.

Oh dear, looks like I might be busy... :)

Well, you don't have to, but it would be a shame not to. I'm thinking should I do the whole sheet, really it's a couple

of extra as I'm doing the Spitfires anyway....mmmm....we shall see

Sean

Sounds great to me Ced! Build the lot! It is three months after all

Rob

Oh, OK then... let's see how it goes :)

Hi Ced, I'm very pleased with the Hurricane, it really is as good as everyone says. I plan to concentrate on the Spitfire for a few weeks and if it's going OK I will then start the Hurricane on the GB as a 'from the box' build and I will post a WIP.

I hope that you're kit doesn't take as long to arrive as mine did!

John

Thanks John - I'm expecting mine this week, fingers crossed.

Hey Ced, looking forward to this one. So the Hurricane in the Airfix BoB set is metal winged?

Uh, yes, I'm almost sure, I checked more than once... we'll see when it arrives!

Well, you don't have to, but it would be a shame not to. I'm thinking should I do the whole sheet, really it's a couple

of extra as I'm doing the Spitfires anyway....mmmm....we shall see

Sean

But then there's a Gladiator... all that string... shudder. :)

• Like 5

Thanks Charlie, only at the weekends! :D

This arrived this morning and I opened the packaging off like a seven year old on Christmas morning, only carefully, of course:

C09FD281-E2A5-43DF-849B-A4596FCE5E95_zps

The question is, does it or doesn't it? I'd done my research but some had doubts... :hmmm: Sprue shots:

021953B2-FEBE-4AA5-96FF-01AAA9801A90_zps

That looks like a metal wing to me - hooray! Can I build it now, can I, can I Dad?

Actually I can't as I need to progress 'T Tommy' - s/he deserves it. Plan is to paint them together so I'll be to and fro, back and forth.

• Like 6