Modelex of Argentina - ex-Heller moulds still going strong

Just stumbled across these, I knew Heller sold a sold of moulds way back, some of which were released under the Encore brand in the late 80s I think? Seems they are alive and well in Argentina complete with period Heller box art, pretty much all have been improved upon since, or are the odd scale 'cadet' range, but I have happy memories of making the 1/72 Heller Gladiator, Draken and TF-104G back in the old days!

http://www.modelex.com.ar/#!aeromodelos/ccin

Thanks,

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hello all of you.

Well this is a good opportunity to join this forum

In fact, I bought quite a lot of the Modelex kits in october 2010 from Pampa Hobbies in Buenos Aires.Almost 1 of each kit

The prices were very cheap at that time ( about 7 euro, which should do roughly £ 6 ) for a 1/72 kit.

The freight costs were almost the same as the price of the the kits, so it doubles the price.

The shop keeper, then, is a very kind person, a former pilot, I understood.

I received the parcel in France 5 days after payment. The only problem was that they didn't take Paypal so I had to make a Western Union transfer.

https://www.facebook.com/pampahobbies

The email adress I had is the following : [email protected] ; contact : Anibal Elias

Concerning the quality of the kits, they were not too bad, but it seems that no cleaning had been made on the moulds and that the injection process was not totally controled ( big sink marks on the wing of the Draken for example)

Also for the Draken, the clear parts mould has been (badly) re tooled. ( The original one still at Heller ???)

I am building the Draken now, and if you are interrested, I can post some pictures.

I had bought this kits after a research made with my Club mate JC Carbonel who wrote a book about Heller a few yeras ago, and we have retraced these moulds since they left Normandy in the late 80s.

If you're interrested it will be my pleasure to give you the information.

Best regards

And maybe I'll see some of you at Telford in November.

Ben

Concerning the quality of the kits, they were not too bad, but it seems that no cleaning had been made on the moulds and that the injection process was not totally controled ( big sink marks on the wing of the Draken for example)

Hi Ben!

Thanks for the link!

The Draken wing has always been like that. It is too thick part. Most likely design feature. Better can't be made with that mould.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi Ben!

Thanks for the link!

The Draken wing has always been like that. It is too thick part. Most likely design feature. Better can't be made with that mould.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi AaCee

The original shots were perfect.

I've built recently a two seater Heller Yellow Box : no sink marks. Little ones, I agree, on the Yellow and Black boxes I have in my collection.( but I won't build them. Oh why ? ) The quality of the Plastic must also have something to do. Anyway, nothing to be compared with the Modelex.

But I agree : the wing is thick. And I haven't seen yet a late Humbrol Orange box edition.

Same comment for the Jaguar : Long time ago, I had buit a clean Black Box one. Now , there's a guy from Argentina who posted a slideshow on youtube with a Modelex ; Sink marks on the wings.

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers

Ben

In fact, late Heller releases also had these sink marks. However, early releases are better. Is it possible to get a close up picture of the clear parts?