1/48 dioramas - preview pics

Not sure why I'm really posting here to be honest. If its unappropriated please delete.

I know technically some of these are Armour, but aircraft are in every scene, just haven't taken any pics from further back at this stage.

Anyways,... here are some of my efforts. I have posted them before, but having been inspired by some of your work, I decided to scrape and rebuild them to what I hope was a slightly better standard.

I have 6 in total, all built on plinths at 210 x 297mm

When I get a chance, I will post some better photos,.. so I guess you could call these teaser pictures unill them.

Diorama5_zpsk1b5brye.jpg

Updated pics:

DSC00043_zpsb7dvz3ui.jpg

DSC00044_zpsc9ne7gmd.jpg

DSC00046_zpsu9utnzf7.jpg

DSC00047_zpspl8pl5pw.jpg

DSC00048_zpsgo1wbut6.jpg

DSC00049_zps0mwhjdb6.jpg

DSC00051_zpseuz7tnad.jpg

DSC00054_zpsx8zkcm2w.jpg

DSC00057_zpsncq0enye.jpg

DSC00059_zpsqoeeeyv8.jpg

DSC00062_zpsnwjusfig.jpg

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 40

Just about to start a small 1/48 diorama myself for the Battle of Britain GB so especially good to see your shot up 109 . Some very nice work and good ideas on all of them.

Alistair

Hey Alistar,

With my username I should have your profil pic - I like it!

Cheers,

Michael

Your Jeep needs to be on OG or in a camouflage scheme. RAF vehicles were not blue in WW2.

Selwyn

Thanks for info. The scene is based around RAF Peterhead 19 Squardon - late war. Their P51s soon changed to blue white checkered nose. Technically they didn't carry the white identification stripes on the wing and fuselage with the camo scheme and black/yellow nose. The technical guys here will find plenty of other imperfections, Like a Russian GAZ lorry in Ondonga Airfield and a German airbase near Bastone, not to mention the sand coloured P-40 (although I did find a reference pic showing that colour / most people think it should be Olive) etc,... all part of the fun finding them.

Who cares if they're not 100% technically accurate, it seems like you already know that anyway (I wouldn't). These are some great models displayed with flair and lots to look at in each diorama, I particularly like the Fw190 with the camouflage netting thrown over and the Mosquito covered in snow. Lovely work and thanks for letting us see them.

Hello Suprastar,

I enjoyed your dioramas.

Lots of detail. My favorite, "The snow diorama"

Excellent job.

Regards,

Orion.

Very Nice set of diorama's.

Nice to see the RNZAF P40 Gloria Lyons :thumbsup:

Couple of comments: Is the setting for your diorama in New Zealand or in the forward Pacific theatre?

If in New Zealand, it would be after the P 40's returned home, so would be Olive Drab upper or later Foliage green/Sky Grey (Green/Blue colour).

Reason I ask, is the tree looks like its Autumn or early Winter and the flying suit appropriate

If in the Pacific, would be Green Olive Drab, and the pilot would be in Khaki's. :D

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Regards

Alan

Very Nice set of diorama's.

Nice to see the RNZAF P40 Gloria Lyons :thumbsup:

Couple of comments: Is the setting for your diorama in New Zealand or in the forward Pacific theatre?

If in New Zealand, it would be after the P 40's returned home, so would be Olive Drab upper or later Foliage green/Sky Grey (Green/Blue colour).

Reason I ask, is the tree looks like its Autumn or early Winter and the flying suit appropriate

If in the Pacific, would be Green Olive Drab, and the pilot would be in Khaki's. :D

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Regards

Alan

This information is fantastic.

To be honest, I can't say I have authentically represented either scenario 100% accurate.

What I can tell you is this, The RNZAF P40 Gloria Lyons in most reference pictures was shown in Olive Drab,.... however,... I did find a photo on the web of a sand coloured p-40 (like those flying in Africa). Also, on the decor sheet i ordered from the US, the info quite clearly depicted a P-40 is both Olive Drab and sand. Thinking the Sand coloured P-40 looked more unusual I decided to go for that.

The diorama is based at Ondonga Airfield (a former World War II airfield on New Georgia in the Solomon)

Having researched this i found some pics showings more rough and ready air stripes with sandy coloured dirt runways. Again your spot on here,.. Palm trees and long grass would probably look better than my Autumn trees.

Bang on with the Khaki's though :D. My only excuse is I borrowed the pilot and ground crew from another diorama.

Maybe he is on his way to a fancy dress party. Yep, thats my excuse ;)

Great post Alan. Thanks for contributing.

Edited by Suprastar3000