Nick's Ready for Battle set - Bedford finished! Albion starting...

That's excellent progress Nick - despite the problems with the paint, which I'm sure you'll be able to sort okay. And the cut out for the hatch looks great! :thumbsup:

I agree with your comment in the post above - I often work on beyond a time when I should - sometimes it's just too tempting to get one more bit done when it would be far better to leave it until another time. The problem is judging where the cutoff is! I haven't got that figured out yet! :weep:

• Like 1

Thanks Stix, i'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. I'm with you on knowing when to stop - When i do get a bit of free time to stick plastic together it's usually late at night. The joy of having young kids! (I love them really even if they do drive me nuts most day's...)

Nick

• Like 1

Nice progress Nick, I had a chuckle at the pilot on the instructions, I had a quick look on the sprue to make sure. As I didn't know how I was going to paint the glasses.

• Like 1

I have a new 1/48 hurricane to build and have found myself doing a Cookie & furiously taking notes over your shoulder. ( cheating I believe is also an apt term, as I told Cookie when he was doing it to me)

Anyway great progress dude.

• Like 1

Carry on mate, i'm guilty of it myself - The amount of knowledge i've gained from this place is unreal.

Regarding this kit, so far i can definitely advise that you use the bottom wing section as a jig when building up the cockpit, i can see that if that part of the build isnt 100% right then you might run in to problems. Due to the way the parts fit i think it would be difficult to judge it by eye.

But crack on with yours, so far i'm really enjoying it and it's a great kit!

Nick

• Like 1

Good progress Nick,have you tried a dry run of the upper wing,s yet I found a lot of scraping and trimming was needed for a good fit,probably me

rather than the kit!

Thanks Steve!

Right, i've had a hell of a week and not had chance to do any modelling until tonight. Oh how i missed it!

I've made some progress and even managed to take some pictures...

Luckily the wings went together nicely so i think i got lucky there.

Here's one on, and you can see the gun bay. Quite a few parts go into the gunbays, i think they are nicely detailed -

20150719_194001_zpsy4cogp7u.jpg

And then the other wing -

20150719_194741_zpsl59vzcqc.jpg

Then it was time for the fuselage to go on. Again this fitted very well, and she is starting to look like a Hurricane. I realised at this point that she was missing some seatbelts, i didn't want the build to be delayed by ordering some aftermarket so i just made some VERY basic ones from Tamiya tape. They aren't really accurate but will do the job i think.

20150719_202605_zpsquhvushe.jpg

Then it was on with the control surfaces and radiator housing. At this point i made a boo boo and flooded the radiator housing with Tamiya extra thin and left a giant thumb print.. I'll have to sand that out....

20150719_212201_zpscixwxyux.jpg

And this is where it's at now.

20150719_212235_zps6cv796ce.jpg

Thing's i've learnt/discovered tonight.

1. I know the GB doesn't finish till October, but if i'm to complete the whole set by then i need to pull my finger out.

2. This is a really nice kit.

3. The Hurricane is a big old bird. I love that modelling these planes and comparing them to each other gives me a greater understanding oh how they were built, how big or small they are and just what a great design it was.

I've just started reading 'They flew Hurricanes' by Adrian Stewart, and it's a great read. I'm really starting to develop a fondness for the Hurricane.

Anyway, till next time!

Nick

• Like 10

Look's great so far Nick,glad the wing assembly went without a hitch mine,s fully primed(an off camera build not my GB project) and glad to report

not a single issue came to light with the rest of the build,just a touch of filler needed where the back of the wing meet's the lower fuselage.

• Like 1

Your Hurricane is looking really good Nick. You've put a lot of work into it. Very well done. Joe

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, Joe and Rick.

This one is going together a lot easier than the new tool Spitfire MK1 i did a while back, doesn't seem as fiddly.

Now i need to start thinking about colours, i can never seem to get dark earth right..

Nick

• Like 1

......Now i need to start thinking about colours, i can never seem to get dark earth right..

Nick

I tend to use Vallejo's with a touch of white in it.

I can't remember which Vallejo number it is at the mo, but I'll have a look later when home.

Rick.

• Like 2

Look brilliant nick! I feel I need to do more 1/48 at this rate...

Shame about the thumb print but that fixable... Hazard of the job

Must say I find the spitfire beautiful but the hurricane so very loveable... Snog marry avoid for planes! I actually have more hurricanes built than spitfires and this GB is doing nothing to address the balance.

Keep up the great work nick it look spot on

Rob

Thanks Rob, i'm with you - This won't be the last Hurricane i build. It's a tank of a plane (by that i mean solid and sturdy) and if what i'm reading in 'They flew Hurricanes' is right then it was a much much better plane than i ever gave it credit for. Case in point is the sturdy undercarriage - These things could be landed anywhere, including an aircraft carrier with some ballast added in the tail to keep the back end down after touchdown.

Steve, i'm with you on the Vallejo, i love it. But i do find sometimes their colours are a bit off.

Nick

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, I used Vallejo MA:

71026 Dark Earth

71012 Dark Green

71009 Duck Egg Green

I'm pretty sure I added a little white to the brown and green.

2015-07-20%2022.44.06_zps2igzqzjt.jpg

Not a great shot, and the light was poor, but it'll give you some idea.

It looks a lot better in the flesh!

Rick.

• Like 5

How was your fit, fuse to wings?

I have tried a couple of dry fits & seam to have some gaps. Haven't glued the wings down yet & hope that will sort the problem.

The fit was very good, if a little tight. But it clipped together nicely and didn't really need any glue but i gave a little anyway.

I spent a bit of time last night tidying up some seams, hopefully tonight i can get a coat of primer on it just to check the seams are gone. I struggle with them sometimes and only notice them once paint is on. Hopefully this time i'll do a bit better!

Nick

• Like 1

Aaaaagh!! Everything was going well until i started laying paint down (usually the way with me). I ended up spilling pretty much a whole pot of Tamiya paint over it, so i'll have to wait for it to dry and then sort it out. Every build of mine is usually a hairs breadth away from disaster so i'm not really surprised. :banghead:

So, i put the Hurricane away because it was in danger of taking it's first (and last) maiden flight. So i made a start on the Bedford MWD.

It seems to be a lovely little kit, quite nicely detailed and well moulded.

20150725_151558_zps3gxiv0tl.jpg

I've made a little bit more progress but my camera battery died, so i'll take some more pics later.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

• Like 5