XB-70 Valkyrie - 1-72 Italeri

As a child, I was fascinated by photo's of the XB-70. Such a futuristic looking aircraft then, and to some extent, it still looks futuristic now. In my previous model making life, I never had the room for such a large kit. Now, though, it's a different matter.

I already had the Italeri kit, when news emerged last week of HpH Models upcoming 1/48 version. The 1/72 version is 30" long, which is big enough (laughable really, seeing as I have a Revell 1/48 B-1B in my stash!!). The 1/48 version is going to be about 4ft long, and presumably with a big price tag too.

Despite it's history, I've always wondered what would have happened if the XB-70 had it seen service, and what role it would serve now. With that in mind, I decided that this XB-70 will be built as a "What If?".

So expect something different :)

19304191155_0ef2638b68_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

19304192015_09cd1c9966_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

18683624283_fbe07cba10_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 10

Great choice, really looking forward to seeing what you make of it. I chickened out of my effort on it, hoping this can inspire me to try again!

• Like 1

good choice in subject matter - it's nice to see something a little different from the usual subjects. Extra plus from me is your going to make it a WHIF - my favourite type of build :D

I'll tune in for sure

MH

• Like 1

You've probably got a scheme in mind already, but HERE are some ideas, from the clever to the downright wacky!

Al

Cheers for that link Al. As you say, I do have a scheme in mind, plus some slight updating of the airframe. Had a smile at the Air Force One scheme though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Love the Thunderbirds ! ! !

That's the scheme I thought about using on mine.

As I've only just started the cockpit, I might use it in the upcoming what if group build.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally got started.

The cockpit, I've done straight OOB. Not really that much to see in there, and as the view into through the cockpit windows is limited, I'll admit I didn't spend a huge amount of time on it. Just painted the required grey, then applied the instrument decals.

Anyway moving on. As you can see, pretty much everything is together. There's not that many parts to the kit. The fit is most parts is questionable, as can be seen on the wing section. All I'll say is if you're attempting this kit, have plenty of filler to hand!! :banghead:

Also, a lot of panel lines are being lost, when sanding down the filler. So I shall have to re-scribe them.

I will be displaying the Valkyrie in flight mode, with main wing tips angled down, giving a more graceful look, and shape.

As mentioned in the opening post, this is going to be a What-If. Given the issues (costs) that surrounded the effort of getting the XB-70 to Mach 3, and the increasingly cost-effective ICBM's, I've thought that it could well have ended up carrying out long range, lower speed, very high altitude, missions. Advances in technology would've overcome the Mach 3 issue, putting back into it's original mission brief, but maybe now as a very fast cruise missile delivery platform (Anyone know where I can get 1/72 cruise missiles from?). I intend the finish to be the current USAF Gunship grey, and low-vis markings.

19811537463_0b721d4746_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20432490765_0977818a1a_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 4

Look forward to see how this goes as it is known as a filler queen, Like your choice as a "what if".

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on the "What-If?" Valkyrie.

Fill, sand, scribe. Fill, sand, scribe. Fill, sand, scribe. Fill, sand, scribe. Fill, sand, scribe.

You get the idea :hmmm: Actually, I don't mind, as I'm very pleased with how the kit is progressing.

The next job is to cement the canards, tail fins, and main wing tips (all seen dry fitted in the photo below).

After that, I'll be attaching various "lumps 'n' bumps", and sorting out the ordnance. I'm thinking a mixture of cruise missiles, plus some glide bombs.

20432490765_0a4314014b_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

19860178094_b5c3af4e9e_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20670258361_0ff5817338_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

19898756474_634b588408_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20670260181_62646bccee_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20654341582_616d194e6f_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20693745661_9a6ac8c408_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20705581092_48f8726f0d_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 9

The lumps and bumps have been added.
There are sensors either side of the nose, plus a pair under the fuselage (just before the intakes). Also ECM pods of the tops of the tail fins. Not visible in the photos are a pair of chaff dispensers situated on the rear most fuselage, between the tail fins. There is also a slightly raised part of upper fuselage, just after the canards. This where the in-flight refuelling opening is.
I'll be sorting out the weapons in due course, then I'm ready for the primer.

20627133179_89cb6e4fa1_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

20627136809_d096ff4f3e_n.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 9

Nice work, you're progressing yours faster than mine.

Could you tell me, can you stand it on the gear with the wing tips folded down?

Just Googled "XB-70" on the images tab and there is a shot of it on the ground with tips lowered (possibly on roll-out from the NAA hangars). The angle isn't fully down into the "wave surfing" mode though.

• Like 2