Tom Neil - Hurricane V7313

Sean_M

Have you got any of his books? I recently read Onward to Malta and he mentions which aircraft he flew in that with codes and serials though this is after the BoB. The previous book which covers the battle might shed light.

Edited to add, sorry you wanted the latter part of 1940. I have the book in front of me and might be able to find a code.

Hmm the book starts in Jan 1941 where he starts off by flying these two MkI's

8 Jan: GN-V

9 Jan: GN-W

Then

8 Feb: GN-T

V7313 is GN-F It was flown by a french chap 'Perrin' when he baled out over Canterbury. Apparently thr ajrcraft was dug up after the war.

Recently finished re-reading "Gun button to fire" and he says that GN-F was his favourite and he was very upset when someone else lost it.

I was thinking of that one myself but I'll go for something else instead now.

Cheers. John

In Hurricane the last witnesses by Brian Milton, on page 98, Mr Neil mentions that he flew 7313 61 times between September 1st & 17 October.

I enjoyed this book, and have been looking locally for a copy of "A fighter in my sights" also by Mr. Neil.

Edited by Av8fan

If no photo is available,then this might help

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981450-flt-lt-nicholsons-hurricane/

But there is a photo of GN-C and GN-A taking off on "Hurricane - The Illustrated History" on bottom of page 90, but is low resolution. Date is given as September 1940, but the books captions are often wrong.

Here's a photo as no scanner on this. There is no other info on this photo. Does anyone know more?

Hurricanes_249_Sq_GN_C_GN_A_0187.png

The GN-A in that looks like GN-C below, but with slightly thicker fin stripes than GN /P3154 in the next photo. The red does not cover the front of the fin, or appears not too as a what looks like the camoflage can be seen.

I know of two other 249 Sq photos. I don't know if this is the same GN-C, the one above looks to have a blob beneath the cockpit, bit this could just be a glitch in the picture, or less likely, some personal motif.

6897503193_bef8a337d4_z.jpg

and

this, P3154, note the very narrow but full fin height fin stripes. This helpfully shows the Sq codes read GN-A on the starboard side, this varies a lot between squadrons, the placement is not fixed!

see - http://cs.finescale....21.aspx#1433121

p3154.jpg

from http://www.kirkbymoo...kirkbymoorside/

Hurricane P3154 on the back of the lorry about to leave Kirkbymoorside

History of the plane

Hurricane R3154 [sic - P3154 is more likley] was built to contract 96237/38 by Gloster Aircraft Ltd at Hucclecote and delivered to the RAF in February 1940 and after acceptance was flown to 607 Squadron at Vitry-en-Artois, France in March 1940. It moved with the unit to Abbeville on 12th April 1940, and returned to Vitry-en-Artois on 26th April 1940. It then moved to Norrent Fontes on 19th May 1940. 607 Squadron withdrew from France arriving Croydon on 22nd May 1940 but without any aircraft.

Hurricane P3154 made its way back to the UK and after servicing was issued to 249 Squadron at Leconfield in June 1940 and the unit then transferred to Church Fenton on 8th July 1940. It suffered Cat.R/FA damage in the incident at Kirkbymoorside, detailed above.

After repair the aircraft was issued to 56 Squadron at Boscombe Down in September 1940. The aircraft was to be written off later the same year whilst taking part in the Battle of Britain. Sgt D.H.Nicholls of 56 Squadron was injured in combat over Yeovil at 16.00hrs on the 7th of October 1940. The aircraft crashed at Alton Pancras, Somerset. Initially the damage was declared as Cat.R but after assessment was Re-Cat.W and struck off charge.

GN-C P3870 looks like a rare private photo, and the recovery probably is as well.

which at least gives an idea of likely style and placement of Squadron codes,which varied between Squadron a lot!

Mr. Neil was shown on TV yesterday as one of the surviving members of `The Few' invited to attend the BBMF flypast over Buck House and he still looks very well indeed,...good for him!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Mr. Neil was shown on TV yesterday as one of the surviving members of `The Few' invited to attend the BBMF flypast over Buck House and he still looks very well indeed,...good for him!

Cheers

Tony

And Prince Philip was in fine spirits too!