F6F-3 Hellcat, just the painting/weathering stage

Hey guys, after ages i have finaly some time for modeling :) At this moment i just needed to build something quick, so i chosed the Eduard´s 1/72 F6F Hellcat. It is great kit, goes together like a charm! :) Building this OOB. Well.. mostly.. ;) so far i made new position lights and landing light on wings, cut off the exhausts and ll replace these (and gun barrels) by needle tubes later.

I did not take shots during the building phase, so here is where i m now :)

Here are the painting steps:

1. aluminium overall

2. chipping fluid

3. zinc chromate yellow

4. scratch down the yellow paint on most used areas

001.jpg

002.jpg

5. chipping fluid

6. some sort of preshading done by sponge and dilluted acrylic paint

7. airbrushed patches of dark shade of base paint

8. airbrushed patches of light shade of base paint

9. mascol applied by sponge

10. airbrushed patches of very light shade of base paint

11. applied salt in random pattern

12. airbrushed coat of medium shade of base paint

003.jpg

13. removed salt and mascol

004.jpg

005.jpg

14. airbushed very light (much much thinned) coat of the base paint

15. using water to dissolve the chipping fluid (applied at step 5) make some scratches around

007.jpg

Right now the Hellcat got coat of gloss varnish and is geting ready for decals :)

I had one big trouble though with white paint - some failure batch probably, it does not want to mix properly, it does not adhere well and keeps peeling off... had to remove the bottom side paint twice already up to bare plastic, still it is not perfect but i m not going to remove it for third time.. :fight:

• Like 15

Hi Wolwe. Nice to see you back again. Hope you are keeping well.

Lovely work as always and especially impressive in 1/72. :popcorn:

• Like 1

That is one hell* of a result! Fantastic. I won't lie when I first saw it with the salt etc on i thought you had gone nuts......evidently you have not

Rob

*didn't even intend the pun

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

That looks awesome Wolwe! I love your weathered builds and you've done it again. I think you've made a great choice in having the paint chip mostly to the primer rather than bare metal. It seems that pics of Hellcats and Corsairs often show the top coat weathered down to the primer.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys for your kind words :) The bottom side white keeps peeling off more and more, but i decided i m not going to strip down the paint at this stage - in the shelf the bottom side wont be seen anyway.. :ninja::winkgrin:

As for the techniques so far, i m trying to learn from mr. Bera Károly and his great tutorials (he is sharing these on his facebook page, one of the best work one can see around i believe) and this stacking up layers with various techniques seems to work very well :)

Anyway, some progress for today, not much time for making the post, i m sorry guys :/

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

More progress hopefuly tomorrow :)

• Like 11

Yo´ve done an amazing paintjob and the weathering looks superb!

Can you tell me what is the chipping fluid? And How do you remove the salt from the surface after painting?

Thanks and keep sharing your work!

Best regards from Uruguay!

Ignacio

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your kind words and i m so sorry for my late reaction.. :banghead:

Ignacio - chipping fluid is usualy something you can dissolve by water - it used to be hairspray earlier (can use it now as well as it might be cheaper option so it is good for practicing), but at these days i m using original chipping fluids made by ammo of mig jimmenez, i think they are offering some for heavy scratches and some for more gentle scratching.

Using the chipping fluids is quite easy - paint the base coat (usualy metal undersurface), let it dry, apply the chipping fluid either by spray, handbrush or airbrush, let it dry for some time, apply the top coat (must be acrylic paints, does not work with enamels or laquer based paints - for me, good acrylic paints for this are tamiya acrylics, vallejo, ammo, and such) and once the top coat is dry (can be just 10+ mins usualy if you use thin coats of paint), you can start to work on the chipping - simply dib some water on surface (gently, do not flood the surface!) and by using various tools (toothpick, needle, stiff brush, ...) and just a LITTLE pressure, you can start to scratch the paint :)

As for removing the salt - i let the top coat dry enough (in this case at least half hour or use hairdryer to speed the procces up) and then use soft old toothbrush to remove the salt. i do recommend to use different toothbrush from what you are using for your teeth.. ;):D

If i could help or give any tips, just let me know (or send me PM as it shows up in my mail as well so it is easier to recognize for me at these days:) )

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...