Airfix 1/48 Battle Of Britain Ready For Battle Gift Set

Looking good jimbo, very effective weathering too. You may find that your paint was a little thick or may have reacted with something in your thinner/water or something on the brush. If you aren't totally happy with that finish try giving it a quick coat of humbrol enamel matt spray. That should leave you with a nice flat matt surface ;)

you may notice that the paint is quite rough. even though i brush painted it the paint surface is rough and grainy. and ideas what may have caused this? is the paint too thick?

i will hopefully have another update up next week. in the meantime i will be building a eduard 1/48 hellcat Mk II (FAA).

Will

Hi Will

this thread has information and links (see my posts) to ways to get the best out of brush painting acrylics.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982693-calling-all-brushhairystick-painters/

in particular Plastix and Rob Vulcan's methods.

in short, thin them carefully, expect to put on multiple thin coats, use flat brushes and flow improver, and practice on something that doesn't matter.

An airbrush can produce great results, but also needs to be learned, and creates problems of it's own.

You may well find a new pot of paint won't exactly match the existing colour either, but use of a thinned coat over the existing paint may well allow it to blend in.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi

after a sudden spurt of progress this after noon the refueller is almost finished! unfortunately i forgot to take photos until the end of the painting session. next i will do some weathering and then put the decals on. i noticed that the two different green colours were very similar, as the mat drab colour was actually a light green.

next to the hurricane:

t8EjTMv.jpg

a close up:

8IyRgfC.jpg

and another:

PwM1VKp.jpg

under a different light:

bLL2iE3.jpg

i tried to do some oil staining. it didn't really work:

3mzpPoH.jpg

thats all for now folks!

Will

• Like 1

thanks. hopefully the new paint will be thinner. hopefully i will post more soon. i have been distracted by other interests (flying/crashing my rc plane).

Will

To get the best out of Humbrol acrylic you need to thin it so it flows properly.

Out the pot will be too thick. That's what the links I posted discuss, in very clear detail. Even a bit of water and then 2-3 thin coats will help a lot.

• 5 weeks later...

so after a short break from this project, i have made quite a bit of progress in the last few days. i have made a base for he diorama, added some tubing to the oil bowser and made some stop blocks. the base was supposed to look like it was made of concrete or tarmac panels, with weeds growing in the gaps between the panels, but the paint colour was wrong and i added too many weeds. i still have to put the decals on the refueller, and potentially add some more figures.

BpMFKaf.jpg

2a2Jv2W.jpg

JS3spZ3.jpg

D9B7Oe4.jpg

8lJFthH.jpg

J4G062A.jpg

• Like 2