Airfix 1/48 Battle Of Britain Ready For Battle Gift Set

Hi,

i will be entering my build of the Airfix 1/48 Ready For Battle gift set. i have had my eye on getting this kit for some time, and when i found out about this group build i thought it enough justification to build this kit/set (i was going to build the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IXc, which will just have to wait). annoyingly i will have to hand paint it as my airbrush is broken at the moment, but will try my best.

a50172-_ready-for-battle_-gift-set_1.jpg

(image courtesy of airfix)

• Like 11

Jimbobtheflimbob,

Welcome to britmodeller

Looks an interesting kit! Will be following you progress.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy

Hi Jim

posted this in Nick 32 post....and before, it's as easy to paste in though...

info on the set

Just checking to see if this set was still due in June.
I did mention before about the box art, having a post Battle of Britain propeller, with prop blade markings more usually seen on warbirds, and what looks like 20 mm ammunition being fed into a machine gun wing....Minor points I know.
But, the starboard side of 32 sq Hurricane the codes read GZ-V, not V-GZ as shown on the test build and box art.
This not shown in most of the famous 32 Sq photos, but is visible here
p1881trjj6dlh1k1sbr51e9t1u711.jpg
I appreciate this may well not be the final artwork,or it's too late, but hope of use if not.

Unfortunately too late, I'm not fussed about the box art, but the decals show codes reading V-GZ on starboard side, and as the codes are printed over the roundels, not just a case of swapping round the letters.

Small point, and Hasegawa made the same mistake!

vehicle colours

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:49 AM

Mike Starmer, on 08 May 2015 - 8:55 PM, said:snapback.png

Humbrol 112 Tarmac is fine but for the kit scheme the basic colour should be Khaki Green 3 NOT H86. For Khaki Green 3: mix 5 x H155 + 1 x H10. this will need matt varnish over it when dry. Humbrol 30 is nothing like Dark Green No.4, use H75 if pushed but this is a bit too grey, OK as faded though.

Just looked up the Tamiya mixes I have for these colours, which are more of Mike Starmer's mixes

Tamiya mix Nobels Khaki Green No.3/ G3 & Dark Green

Just what the new Bronco kit owners need. Khaki Green 3 was the new basic colour from mid-1939 till phased out in 1941. But also may be used as an alternative colour in lieu of Slate 34 in the Caunter scheme.

Mix: - 3 pts XF62 olive drab + 2 pts XF59 desert yellow.
The resulting colour is slightly less rich than a sample matched to an original motorcycle part and slightly less brown than on a steel helmet in original colour, so a good average.

Dark Green G4: - mix 3 x XF61 + 2 pts XF58. No original colour found; yet.
This was the colour specified in MTP 20 for use in scheme 1 for 'average European conditions'. This colour is matched to the colour that I use over Khaki Green 3 and which is based on the use of complimenary hues and low contrast values seen on numerous contemporary photographs and what few colour photographs exist for 1940 period vehicles.

Posted this in the WWII aircraft, but though might be appropriate here as well....

well know shot, but some points, and is that an Albion refueller?

Photo is 85 Squadron, Peter Townsend in P3166 VY-Q, Castle Camps, July 1940, due to be featured on a new Xtradecal sheet.

More on 85 Sq here http://www.britmodel...round-apr-1940/

Funny, now I look at the above pic again, I actually pay attention to the refueller... to my untrained eye this looks like an Albion refueller?

Graham Boak confirms it is.

http://www.britmodel...ook-in-the-box/

also just kitted by Airfix, note correct paint colours in link, and here note how easy it would be to do this

New numbeplate, and the '100' I presume for 100 octane fuel?

large.jpg

Note first aid kit strapped on back of panel, the mixed exhaust stain, lighter round edges, from running a lean mixture, and the distinctive oil stains on the UC doors.

EDIT

while searching away....I start paying more attention!

RAF_Fighter_Command_1940_HU104489.jpg

Not paid attention to this one before, but the the neatly painted fabric over gun ports, plus some neat refueller details

RAF_Fighter_Command_1940_HU104490.jpg

Graham Boak points out the unusual fitting on the rear hub.

The fitting on the rear axle looks odd - it appears like the later standardised parts for lifting onto ships but they'd be required on the front axle too.

HTH

• Like 1

thanks for the info. ill try to follow that info , particularly about the paint shades. i might just mix the colours for the vehicles myself or try to find a suitable colour. after a bit of a shipping delay the kit arriver yesterday. i was really pleased with the kit and how well detailed it is.

Obligatory Box Shots:

DktzoYO.jpg

gYFpd4v.jpg

Starting the cockpit:

lfA7EOO.jpg

i got a little overexcited with the wash:

gbNLwC2.jpg

h4aPQ33.jpg

'unfortunately' i had to leave at that point in in order to go to the Battle Of Britain Airshow at Headcorn Aerodrome!

VjutZuj.jpg

fBegs9X.jpg

pHoIUjb.jpg

i will hopefully make some more progress over the next few days and i will keep you posted.

for more of the airshow go to my youtube channel:

Will

Edited by Jimbobtheflimbob
  • Like 4

thanks. the cockpit was brush painted. i will upload more photos later today.

Ok, i think the green paint is a bit too thick.

thanks for the feedback. it is not the paint being too thick, but the wash being too thick. it is not as bad in person. i have made a lot of progress today. i have finished one of the trolleys (the Oil bowser), started painting the pilot and gotten to the painting stage with the hurricane. i had a few fit issues with the hurricane, some of which i have been able to sort out, others i haven't been able to. i am going abroad for a few weeks in 2 days time, so i may not be able to post another update until early august. the progress so far:

cockpit attached to the wing:

5EvTOiq.jpgholes for the gun bay cut out of the left wing:

qGV5hmW.jpg

the navigational lights fitted:

6ljDnP1.jpg

i put the guns on some blu-tack to make it easier to paint them:

DZ26nWg.jpg

the finished guns bays with some chipping on the guns:

dKLE8el.jpg

the dashboard: (this time the green paint in the background was too thickly applied)

tBq2e2u.jpg

the fuselage halves required some tape to get them to fit correctly whilst the glue dried:

irZsmuG.jpg

eventually after some poly cement, super blu, tape and force the wing went on. however, it left some gaps. i have tried to reduce the size of this lip, but it is quite a challenge to sand it away without damaging the surrounding plastic:

RltGcvu.jpg

the wing attached on:

h8Oi2vf.jpg

the gun bays from the outside:

ZSVbCx2.jpg

the tail: (the elevators could move but i found the kept on falling down so i glued the eventually)

QwIEzM7.jpg

the oil bowser (it still needs a bit of work)

RYGSVBT.jpg

HEooek9.jpg

the pilot: ( he is far from finished. he needs some touching up, details highlighting, highlighting of the folds in his clothes and weathering)

DvkCXdo.jpg

• Like 4

hi,

Thanks for the feedback! somehow i have already finished the Hurricane! (don't leave just yet, I've still got to build the refuelled and the bedford MWD!) the kit went together really well (apart from the wing not going onto the fuselage correctly) and was great value. unfortunately the camera disappeared shortly before i started painting so i only have photos of the finished model and the model before decalling.here it is:

Pre decals:

OHgJFzK.jpg

YNYmfH0.jpgoQLII6h.jpg

FPqrpir.jpg

JfjpnIq.jpg

av3zOXV.jpg

r2caPS8.jpg

7qtpptm.jpg

ptJXkcL.jpg

ldFgj8I.jpg

Edited by Jimbobtheflimbob
  • Like 5

That's a speed build :D ! The model is ok for my (i see a two mistakes the gun bay cover is not painted in one place and paint isn't equally located in the front of wing.) You can do a weathering if you want, the model will be looks more realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i have gotten a lot of work done on the albion refuelled today. i hav painted and attached the wheels, painted the chassis, make, painted and weathered the cab, finished the engine, make the fuel tank and masked some of the windows. i haven't taken any photos of the fuel tank yet, but more photos will be up tomorrow (hopefully):

the chassis:

yvzXYzD.jpg

the engine:

xO6wcwK.jpg

more of the chassis:

fVthxda.jpg

the wheels:

TYptrY7.jpg

the cab:

SBrTk40.jpg

and with some weathering:

ozvERrN.jpg

the finished (almost) cab:

3aGkX2g.jpg

the hose:

9sYBX4b.jpg

the cab in on the chassis:

4GwXcUE.jpg

another view:

6p7Zp2I.jpg

more photos to come tomorrow.

Will

• Like 3

Hi, your figure painting is fantastic, I can see why you chose the whole set, rather than just the Hurricane.

I have one little bit of ( constructive I hope ) criticism, about the guns. They would almost certainly been "blued", which is a process to prevent chipping amongst other things, this does wear off but it takes a long time, so your chipping is probably not necessary.

The weathering on the seat cushions on the other hand is just amazing.

John

thanks. i added the chipping because i felt that the gun bay looked to clean without it, but if it is not prototypical i may change it. annoyingly i managed to finish the assembly of the albion refueller when i ran out the main paint colour. i have ordered some more but it will not come until monday at the earliest. also, i bought a revolution airbrush which should be coming tomorrow hopefully.

the fuel pumps:

c2Tmr0w.jpg

i weather the wood using a technique i learnt from tamiya's modelling magazine (the 1/32 mosquito issue) where you paint a base coat of brown, and varnish it and then paint the top coat over that. you then chip away the top coat giving a flaked paint effect:

7BPoH3G.jpg

the bonnet (with some minor fit issues):

t5HMUfT.jpg

the fuel tank and hoses:

bnXAl1e.jpg

the base lorry (without fuel tank):

2gjH0sV.jpg

and with the tank:

hbE7jgR.jpg

another view:

awQxPGH.jpg

and another:

K1uBBbG.jpg

next to the hurricane:

ZfSeYLt.jpg

you may notice that the paint is quite rough. even though i brush painted it the paint surface is rough and grainy. and ideas what may have caused this? is the paint too thick?

i will hopefully have another update up next week. in the meantime i will be building a eduard 1/48 hellcat Mk II (FAA).

Will

• Like 6