This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Forum Downtime - Updating of Forum Software

Sounds good to me Dear Heart.My apologies for the incomplete post that you read first off,my laptop is a tad decrepit and if I lean lightly on certain parts of it things happen that there are no keyboard shortcuts for.

This time it put up a post that wasn't fully written up and I'm still not sure how it did it or which bit I leant on.

:lol: That's ok Alex, I got the jist :) While I was there, I also logged in on my Ubuntu 14.0.4 desktop with Firefox, and that worked too ^_^

I've run out of VMs now, as the only other one I have is a Win7 install, which is the same OS as I'm typing on now, so there's no difference :shrug:

Where can I find a Win 3.1 VM from? Was there even a web browser on that? :hmmm:

Pass.I had a bit of a gap between 98 and XP.

I live in rural Lincolnshire,the mass produced printed newspaper is still a source of wonder and accusations of witchcraft around here :jump_fire: .

:lol: I know what you mean... it does sound like Santa needs to bring you a new laptop though. Either him of Satan. It is Lincolnshire, afterall! :lol:

We've been putting off the update of the forum software for a while now, and as the version numbers have been increasing quite quickly during this period of prevarication, it's probably good that we did. We'll be putting the match to the touch-paper fairly soon though, so be prepared to "cope" with the new software, and try ensure your panties are properly arranged round your nether regions so they don't get bunched up ;) We have to keep our software up to date to continue to receive support, which is paramount when you have over 1.8 million posts and over 17.5k members that get a bit shuffly if it breaks. :frantic:

Once we've finalised a timeline for the update we'll let you know, and be prepared for a bit of downtime, plus some fine-tuning while we get the software set up the way we want it. We'll try to minimise this, but we're only human, so we're bound to make a mistake or two :)

Good luck to Mike and the rest of the team who have the [sarcasm] good fortune [/sarcasm] to implement this upgrade.

Seriously, I hope it doesn't cause you to lose too much hair. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the new software in action.

Brian

How dare you..... If it isn't broke - don't fix it! :work:

But seriously, good luck with the switchover - everything needs updating from time to time - including software that seems to be working fine on the surface, but in actual fact (like a swan) is paddling furiously underneath just to keep afloat!

And when the downtime occurs - just means more time to build!!!!! :evil_laugh:

Treker

That's a good attitude! :lol: Get a book ready just in case ;)

I've got the test forums back online now, and updated to the latest version. Sure it's different than we're used to, but I've been noticing some serious speed improvements as everything whizzes along to your cursor's tune :) The only thing I'm not keen on is that there's no obvious way to post an image (I know!), but if you just paste or type a URL in the posting window, it'll automatically convert that to a pic, then give you the option to convert it back to a link in case you didn't mean to do that. It happens very quickly too, so it's all good! :thumbsup:

They've also re-jigged the PM function so that it behaves like Outlook with a pane down the left with the messages, then when you select one the message text pops up in the main window. There's also a set of handy tickboxes for deleting PM threads too, which is good. I'm getting to like this thing :)

All I want is the ability to make the darn thing stop flagging what it considers as incorrect spelling. Colour has a 'u' in it, dammit! Is it too much to ask that a British forum speaks proper English? :bobby:

I'm sure we'll all learn to cope with the new software Mike, even those of us who have barely managed to work out the current system... :banghead:

Errr... Rob, that's a function of your Browser, not the forum software :shrug: Just switch your language to British English, and you'll be good to go :smartass:

Great! We have just come out of the Stone Age, post Thursday's tropical cyclone, got the internet/internot back and Britmodeller is going offline :locked: There is no justice I tells you! :boom:

On a more serious note: I hope it all goes as swimmingly as planned Mike and thank you for looking after us. Without Britmodeller life here would be :shit::wall: ...

Chrstian exiled to the dark side

:lol: It's not going to happen just yet. I want to have a more comprehensive mooch about on the test forum before I'm happy to press go :) Couple of weeks hence, maybe?

:lol: It's not going to happen just yet. I want to have a more comprehensive mooch about on the test forum before I'm happy to press go :) Couple of weeks hence, maybe?

Just right when I'll be in the middle of my nice long holiday on the East coast of the US! No modelling for 8 weeks solid!!!!!!!! :weep:

The wife has been working for her company (a charity) for 10 years, so they get given a 6 week sabbatical. We have added 2 weeks of her annual leave - 8 weeks of vacation! As a "gift" I get to go to Dayton, OH, for a few days, and the National Museum of the USAF. Lets just say that 3x32Gb SD memory cards, and 1x16GB may not be enough. Then after 4 weeks in the US it's back to Blighty for a few days and off to France.

So, what's going to keep me sane for the BM downtime? :tumble:

Good luck with the upgrade/changeover Mike when it goes ahead.

Just think, with all this 'downtime' we should be able to do lots of uninterrupted modelling as we won't have BM to check into!

Ultimate win/win.

All the best,

Ray

The ideal situation will involve a couple of hours. If things get bogged down with issues however, it will be as long as necessary. Of course we'd rather it was the former, rather than the latter :pray:

Indeed it is Mike. And I would do that, but we use dollars not quid, and changing the language changes that, as well as other subtle things (especially on my phone, where it makes major changes). Technology shouldn't be this difficult to deal with, should it? Never mind, I'll keep ignoring the red underlines, just like I've been doing for the last 20+ years. :)

Just bumping this to the top for visibility. We're testing the forum software elsewhere, just so we can get it set up how we want it ASAP once the upgrade has finished. I would guess it'll be in a couple of weeks, possibly sooner depending on Invision Support's availability and a few other factors :)

Mike; at the last up-grade some old threads were lost, eg the one by John [Aero] about how to build vac form models. [You recovered it]

Can you possibly ensure the likes of that and the Spitfire & Hurricane questions threads are preserved?

I'm still not sure what happened there, and it may in fact NOT have been the upgrade that lost those. We were moving from a VERY wobbly server to the new one, so anything could have happened. This time we're getting Invision to do it for us due to the size of the database - 1.8m posts and 17,600 members :frantic: Some of the move has to be done manually in MySQL, which I don't fancy these days, so we're entrusting it to the professionals. We'll try to get it done during our night time to minimise the disruption, so you might only notice when you log in and it looks a bit different and blingy :bling:

Incidentally I've had a concerted dash round the test forum this evening, and am going to be doing some further testing on my tablet and phone to see how the new scalable system works with them. They are becoming more of a standard device for forum access judging by comments made by various members, so it should be much better and more functional than the old (current) version.

Sorry - I digressed. The new forum software is really growing on me. I'm getting quite excited to share the new functionality and some of the new shortcuts and abilities they've engineered into the new system. For example, they've removed the "Insert Image" Polaroid from the tool bar, but now you can just type/paste the raw URL into the post and it automatically converts it to an image. No tags, no mucking about, and you even get a pop-up that gives you the option to leave it as a link. Very useful and quite a lot of fun to be had once we get over the initial "layout shock" of the new!!! Once my head stopped spinning, and I began to find things new and old, I got into it quickly.

As an aside the team have been spending some time getting to know the new system too, so it won't just be me that knows the answers to the questions you might have after the change. I hesitate to call them BM Geniuses under the Trades Description Act, but you get my drift :wicked:

last thing - if we have any coders in our membership that would like to help with some of the more technical aspects of the new software, especially a new feature called Pages, drop me a PM as there are a few things I want to do to make the new home page look better. Similarly, any of you that are a dab hand with PhotoShop, Illustrator and the like, we'd like to update a few graphics to go with the new system and I doubt my talents in that department with good reason :lol:

What happens to bookmarked threads ? I've got several saved for reference, and others for future reading.

Regards,

Gerard

What happens to bookmarked threads ? I've got several saved for reference, and others for future reading.

Regards,

Gerard

Yes, and threads that we're following?