Ye Olde Airfix Spitfyre MkIX 72nd Scale

Nigel, it's early morning here, and you have just taken me back several decades in the past. Not a good way to start the day!!!

I have so many fond memories of that kit. It's just great to see it again. To be honest, I had forgotten all about the size of the rivets and the see through underwing radiators, but it is all coming back in a rush!!!

Plus your build looks mighty nice and does justice to this antiquity.

Thanks for posting it.

JR

• Like 2

I think that may have been the first kit I ever built. Well, I say built...

It's nice to see it again, and interesting to see how different it is in reality from my memory of it :lol:

Notwithstanding the limitations of the kit you've made a very good job of it and it's a great 'old skool' build :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Cracking job Nigel,have to agree with Jean and Stew,s comments I first built this kit when it came in a poly bag and paper header!

• Like 1

I think that may have been the first kit I ever built. Well, I say built...

It's nice to see it again, and interesting to see how different it is in reality from my memory of it :lol:

Notwithstanding the limitations of the kit you've made a very good job of it and it's a great 'old skool' build :)

Cheers,

Stew

The coincidences are getting alarming Stew but I'm am sure hundreds of kids from our generation can call this one 'their first'

Mine was bought in 1970 from 'Bodgers' department store in Ilford. I think it must have been 5p (One Shilling!) because that was my pocket money. I vaguely remember building it and putting the 'stickers' onto the resplendent pale blue plastic in the afternoon and probably breaking the undercarriage off in the same day.

It really began my love affair with the Spitfire.

This looks great and it's fantastic to see one built up again. Although it's age is showing, I am definitely not one to talk!

Fine build and thanks for the memory!

• Like 2

Memories indeed lads, a great blast from the past. I love how this has turned out.

I still have mine from 20 odd years ago, badly painted and now covered in dust,

(I call it weathering). Dear God I feel old,

Sean

• Like 1

Now there's a trip down memory lane.

That's a really lovely build of a venerable old kit.

I wonder how many of us on BM built this as their first kit? I know I did.

My dad, being ex merchant navy would rather I had chosen a ship, but he encouraged me with my first builds non the less.

I've had an illicit love affair with the Spitfire ever since. My wife understands.

• Like 2

This is the Aircraft of the Aces boxing of the Airfix Spitfire MkIX. Built out of box and brush painted with Humbrol enamels

P6280293_zpscyuuz2ic.jpg

P6280286_zpsmzfmjsdb.jpg

P6280287_zps4hhaegsb.jpg

P6280288_zpsdav54cko.jpg

P6280289_zpsjgdflbnx.jpg

P6280291_zpshmwnbb3l.jpg

P6280292_zps1zithyns.jpg

P6280290_zpspvyouqea.jpg

I enjoyed building it, and I'm happy with how it's turned out. Thanks for looking.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

What a way to celebrate my 51st. Lovely pictures of the first kit I built- done professionally.

It's way over 40 years since my effort, but thank you for the nostalgia trip down memory lane.

Oh you done a cracking job of the spitfire by the way 👍👍👍👍😊😊😊🍻

• Like 1