*** FINISHED *** Helmut Wick's Bf 109E4, October 1940 (Tamiya 1/72)

jrlx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

After New Year, I returned to the bench and managed to do some progress on the 109.

First, I installed the engine covers. Here are the parts, before assembling:

IMAG3118_zpsa0genash.jpg

The lower cover was assembled:

IMAG3119_zpsdqkafcul.jpg

Next, I installed the top cover:

IMAG3120_zpss9pc85tu.jpg

and, then, the lower cover:

IMAG3121_zpsk1etfovq.jpg

Here are the side views. It can be noticed that the bottom of the top part is slightly wider that the fuselage:

IMAG3122_zps8vudfpgm.jpg

IMAG3123_zpsalvyufwf.jpg

I also installed the rudder in place:

IMAG3124_zpsdutxofei.jpg

The rudder actuators are PE parts 26 and 27:

IMAG3125_zpscmo4e6er.jpg

These were glued in place with super-glue:

IMAG3126_zps4yespyn9.jpg

IMAG3127_zpsoz6yu9ov.jpg

IMAG3128_zpsz8xay5lp.jpg

A few touch ups followed.

The next step was assembling the propeller, which is made up of three parts:

IMAG3129_zps5dhzrnoz.jpg

Here it is, already assembled:

IMAG3130_zpswxcvrfka.jpg

and here together with the aircraft:

IMAG3131_zpslkklzpcq.jpg

Then, I chipped the wing roots and the edges of the machine guns access panels on the wings:

IMAG3132_zpssj1yls01.jpg

IMAG3133_zpswg5zwuar.jpg

I also chipped the edges of the top and lower covers, very slightly:

IMAG3134_zpsiwhzz4e1.jpg

IMAG3135_zpsxadcxikp.jpg

IMAG3136_zpsoesiwcwq.jpg

All this was done on the first week-end of this year. During last week I was stuck trying to get a proper matte finish to the Red Baron's Triplane I'm building. I only managed to achieve that yesterday. So, I could only return to the 109 yesterday, to start applying the decals. Here is the set-up (I know, I know, my bench is a mess...):

IMAG3137_zpspno0bm8z.jpg

Here are the top wing decals ready:

IMAG3138_zpscdpyihir.jpg

And here the lower wing decals:

IMAG3139_zpsxrokxoa2.jpg

The decals are a bit thick and Micro Set didn't spread over the Alclad Klear Kote Gloss I used prior to decalling. I had to apply the decals and cover them with Micro Set, while adjusting their position. Then, I let Micro Set be absorbed without touching the decals. The decals took a while to stick in place. Only after that was I able to remove any excess solvent and press the decals in place with a cotton bud. This was followed by several applications of Micro Sol, to make them conform to the surfaces and panel lines.

I managed to damage the top crosses, while trying to make them conform to one panel line. I repaired them with matte black and matte white applied with a nº 0 paintbrush. I don't think it can be noticed unless you know it is there. Weathering and final matte finish should blend the repair with the surrounding area. Here's a photo of the right cross after repairing the damages along the left panel line:

IMAG3141_zpseqvmdvim.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
  • Like 2

Hi,

Yesterday I finished applying the decals.

Here's the port side:

IMAG3148_zps0tm61jut.jpg

and here's the starboard side:

IMAG3149_zpsmuub2jmw.jpg

The decals were a bit thick and micro set didn't spread over the Alclad Klear Gloss coat. I'll revert to micro gloss next time, as the pre-decal gloss coat. It's a pitty, as Alclad is really easy to use, needing no thinning.

On the other hand, making the decals conform to the panel lines demanded huge amounts of micro sol and some helping with the tip of a toothpick.

Next, I'll apply a coat of Alclad Klear Gloss to seal the decals and then will start weathering with a sludge dark wash.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
  • Like 3

Thanks for the warning, Mish. Photobucket simple lost all the pictures I uploaded during the last few days. I've re-uploaded them and repaired the links in the affected posts.

Thanks again :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

With the decals on, the next step was applying a gloss coat in preparation for a dark wash.

First I had to mask the propeller's blades, which were already with the final semi-gloss finish:

IMAG3150_zpsswqqkkdj.jpg

Then, I applied a good coat of Alclad Klear Kote Gloss to the aircraft and all small parts. I let it dry overnight.

Here's the set-up for the wash. As always, I used Vallejo's acrylic "oiled earth" wash:

IMAG3151_zps0aujcrcg.jpg

Here's the wash on, applied with a wide flat brush, in the direction of the air flow:

IMAG3154_zps1hry3kjn.jpg

IMAG3152_zps9z2g2upl.jpg

The wash was left to dry for about 15 min and, then, cleaned away with damp cotton buds. I didn't want to overdo it but left more of it on the underside than on the top surfaces. The idea was to darken the panel lines and rivets and give the aircraft a slightly dirty look:

IMAG3155_zpsh8zsgwfw.jpg

IMAG3160_zpsdhjzgdeh.jpg

Some details:

IMAG3157_zpswi2oqfhf.jpg

IMAG3158_zpsz09rypkk.jpg

IMAG3159_zpsb1s0jhfc.jpg

IMAG3161_zpsvmhk7bqb.jpg

IMAG3162_zps0siohqga.jpg

IMAG3163_zpsyhhpoilq.jpg

IMAG3165_zpskbjby6cl.jpg

Landing gear legs and tail wheel:

IMAG3166_zpsq7bfbanw.jpg

Gear bay doors:

IMAG3167_zpsg4cwyetr.jpg

This will now dry for a few hours, before application of a matte coat.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

Ced, Mish, thanks! It's now nearing completion :) Just needs a flat coat, I still need to paint the tires and guns, assemble all the small parts and apply a few pigments.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Yesterday's night I applied the flat varnish to the aircraft and all the small parts.

First, I masked the oleos of the landing gear legs and tail wheel to keep their shiny finish:

IMAG3168_zpswsnp2g6e.jpg

Then, I applied Alclad Klear Kote Flat to the aircraft and all small parts, after giving a very good shake to the bottle. It seems to be working now :)

Here are some pictures of the results.

First, the aircraft:

IMAG3169_zpsml8ijzpu.jpg

IMAG3170_zps2vnqrcws.jpg

IMAG3171_zpsofs1ukea.jpg

IMAG3172_zps8y4srhlg.jpg

Details of the wings:

IMAG3173_zps7gxeannl.jpg

IMAG3174_zpsciuiytts.jpg

The gear legs and tail wheel, after removing the masking:

IMAG3175_zpsjqzwepqi.jpg

The propeller, showing the flat hub, satin blades and semi-matte aluminium blade roots (is this the correct name?):

IMAG3176_zps5choehqb.jpg

Main gear doors:

IMAG3178_zpssausllsj.jpg

I still have to paint the tires and then I can assemble the small parts, apply the pigments and install the antenna wire.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3

Ced, Greg, thanks for your interest :)

I'm nearly finishing the bird. I'll post an update of the latest work and then I'll go back to the bench to finish it :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hi,

Here's an update on the latest work.

I had forgotten to also wash the break lines, which are PE parts. So, I started with that. Here's the set-up, with my usual Vallejo Wash:

IMAG3179_zpsngnjk2no.jpg

Here are the break lines with the wash on:

IMAG3180_zpsonpebcxj.jpg

As usual, the excess was removed with a damp cotton bud and, after drying for a day, a coat of Alclad Klear Flat was applied. I'm now getting really flat results with it, so I'll adopt it as my flat coat of choice :)

Next, I had to paint the tires. This implied masking the hubs of the main landing gear wheels, as the hubs were gloss black but the tires should be matte. I used masking tape applied over the wheels and a sharp x-acto blade to cut round the hub. This was done for both faces of the hubs, as shown in the following pictures:

IMAG3182_zpskrzygug9.jpg

IMAG3183_zpsi1aml95e.jpg

The wheels were mounted on toothpicks for easier painting with the airbrush:

IMAG3184_zpsq2sze0de.jpg

After drying for a day, Alclad Klear Flat was applied and the masking removed. I had to make a few touch-ups using a nº 0 paintbrush and gloss black, to repair some damage made to the hub paint finish with the x-acto. The head mounted loupe was extremely useful for this. In the end it turned out quite well, as can be seen here, with a clear distinction between the glossy hubs and the matte tires:

IMAG3185_zpsjthxgxjg.jpg

The tail wheel tire had its sides painted white. So, I used a nº 0 paintbrush to paint the black part. The dirty white is due to the previous application of the dark wash:

IMAG3186_zpsy1rxi8xa.jpg

The wing-mounted machine-guns were painted metallic black using the AB:

IMAG3187_zpsrhn3acks.jpg

The cannons mounted on top of the engine cover were also painted metallic black, but this time using a nº 0 paintbrush. The left cannon is longer than the right cannon:

IMAG3188_zpsgzffsmkj.jpgIMAG3189_zpsqrfmn8mg.jpg

Next, I started installing all the small parts on the aircraft, beginning with the main gear legs and tail wheel:

IMAG3190_zpsfghx9vme.jpg

IMAG3191_zpsu4vorhpo.jpg

Then, the aileron balance masses, the pitot tube, the gear doors and machine-guns were also glued in place. The glueing of the gear doors was reinforced with super-glue, as they were very wobbly:

IMAG3192_zps6ylmdqwj.jpg

After letting the glue cure for a while, the aircraft already stood on its "feet" :)

IMAG3193_zpss2fvcqfn.jpg

Next, the main wheels were glued in place:

IMAG3194_zpswskw5ku9.jpg

To finish with, the masking was removed from the transparent parts. I had to apply a new coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss on the clear areas, due to some loss of transparency resulting from the mask removal. This was done with a nº 0 paintbrush (at this scale I never use anything bigger).

Here's how the aircraft stands now:

IMAG3195_zpsebcchnyn.jpg

IMAG3196_zpsojg5mqvg.jpg

It's nearly there but I still have to:

• glue the brake lines on the gear legs
  • mount the armoured plate inside the moving part of the canopy
  • glue the moving part of the canopy in the open position
  • mount the antenna mast
  • mount the propeller
  • apply pigments to simulate exhaust and blast stains, as well as dirt and mud from the landing strips
  • install the antenna wires and the cable holding the canopy in the open position and paint them with RLM66 (dark grey)

Hopefully it will be finished this week-end.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 3