*** FINISHED *** Helmut Wick's Bf 109E4, October 1940 (Tamiya 1/72)

jrlx

Thanks a lot for your appreciation, Stix, it really means a lot :)

The PE parts are really small and it takes a lot of time to put them in place. I'm now using a head band mounted magnifying glass, which works very well ( thanks to Roy and Ced for the suggestion). Anyway, I think the level of detail provided by PE is worth the effort.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

This is an update of work done since two week-ends ago. My German lessons and tests don't leave me much time for modelling, so work is progressing slowly.

I started by applying the armoured glass to the wind shield. Here it is still resting on the front fuselage, before being glued in place:

IMAG3006_zpsvkizcda1.jpg

Here it is already glued in place:

IMAG3007_zpsako8b2il.jpg

Next, I glued the rear fixed canopy part in place:

IMAG3008_zps1zatjvj0.jpg

IMAG3009_zpsalqyax6c.jpg

Then, I masked the cockpit opening, to protect it from main painting:

IMAG3010_zpswxk07fhf.jpg

IMAG3011_zpszoko6pd2.jpg

Masking tape was also inserted near the main gear leg location holes, to protect the cockpit from overspray while painting the aircraft's underside:

IMAG3012_zpsogz3ouid.jpg

Then, I drilled holes on the cannons, using a 0,3 mm mini-drill:

IMAG3013_zpsaocqroax.jpgIMAG3014_zpsca4m3kg2.jpg

Next, I applied Alclad white primer to the engine area, which will have a yellow-painted exterior:

IMAG3017_zpsoxzgun7r.jpg

IMAG3018_zps99j6vjcl.jpg

White primer was also applied to the engine covers and rudder, which will be painted yellow. I also used the opportunity to rectify the colour of the propeller back plate, which was white (according to the profile on the top of this thread) instead of yellow as shown in the instructions:

IMAG3019_zps4npjyely.jpg

The engine area was masked, before applying Alclad grey primer to the rest of the aircraft:

IMAG3024_zps4w8q8ako.jpg

After applying grey primer, I applied Alclad White Aluminium to the areas which will be chipped:

IMAG3026_zpsl7ztoeeh.jpg

IMAG3027_zpsxqcta2ji.jpg

The next step was pre-shading the panel lines with mate black:

IMAG3031_zpsxrr5sjvb.jpg

IMAG3032_zpsiccbsi3j.jpg

The white-primed parts where also pre-shaded:

IMAG3033_zps62ydknl2.jpg

To finish with, I painted the main gear wheel hubs with gloss black:

IMAG3034_zpsqfmi3cyg.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Hi Jaime, that's looking all rather good. Keep up the good work and let us know how the exam goes. Joe :)

• Like 1

Thanks all for the kind words and interest :)

let us know how the exam goes. Joe :)

Thanks for the interest Joe! My first test was quite good, at 94%. The teacher thought it was very difficult (he was right...) and gave us all a bonus, so I ended up with 100% :blush:

Last Thursday we did a "calibration" test for this week Certification Test simulation. It was a 10 minute-long multiple choice affair, with more than 10 questions and very difficult. Let's see the result...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

We had a holiday in Portugal yesterday, so I managed to find some time to progress a bit on my builds.

Almost ready to start the main painting of the Bf 109, I just had to paint the wheel wells first. These were painted RLM 02:
IMAG3035_zpsvxc95njf.jpg

I also painted RLM 02 the edges of the cockpit walls, which I forgot when painting the cockpit interior:

IMAG3036_zpsxmhllhqb.jpg

I let the paint dry for about 4 hours and then masked the wells with blu-tack:

IMAG3037_zpsrqoh65cl.jpg

Then, I painted almost all the aircraft with RLM 65 Light Blue, letting the pre-shading be visible through the paint:

IMAG3038_zpsmn8biqum.jpg

IMAG3039_zps3pc9j7wb.jpg

IMAG3040_zpswgaxhggq.jpg

The wheel well masking was removed:

IMAG3041_zpsufc1nuwi.jpg

The top half of the rudder was also painted RLM 65. The bottom will be RLM 04 Yellow:

IMAG3042_zps9xqesduk.jpg

RLM 65 was also applied to the exterior of the wheel well doors:

IMAG3043_zpskfibujwx.jpg

and to the pitot tube and flap mass balances:

IMAG3044_zpss7llqguz.jpg

Finally, the rudder actuators in PE were also painted RLM 65:

IMAG3045_zpsadukmnci.jpg

That's all for now. The next step will be painted the lighter colour of the top camouflage, which was RLM 02.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

Hi again,

Here's an update of work done during the weekend.

The base light blue colour had dried for a few days, so I started masking the model to paint the top camouflage.

Here's the port side, with masking tape delimiting the top of the fuselage and wing root. The camouflage scheme is shown in the background:

IMAG3063_zpsmwskkxae.jpg

Here's a closer look:

IMAG3064_zpsg9zgtnzl.jpg

The port side completely masked:

IMAG3065_zpsms9qwlki.jpg

The starboard side, as well:

IMAG3066_zps0og4cctm.jpg

Bottom view. The wings don't need to be protected:

IMAG3068_zpsfxfygavr.jpg

With the masking done, I applied the lighter colour of the top camouflage: RLM02 Graugrün (Grey-green):

IMAG3069_zps951ouqlo.jpg

Next, I mixed a drop of flat white on the ink remaining in the airbrush, diluted it as for mottling, and randomly lighted the inside of panels to break the tonal monotony:

IMAG3070_zpso2p7i8mu.jpg

Next, I'll apply the dark-green colour.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 6

Hi again,

Last night I had some time for modelling, so I proceeded with painting the darker top camouflage colour.

I started by delimiting the lighter colour areas with masking tape:

IMAG3071_zpslerjdxvc.jpg

The larger areas were protected with kitchen cling film:

IMAG3072_zps3jfmadae.jpg

With the masking done, I painted the exposed areas with RLM71 Dunkelgrün (Dark green). The centres of the panels were post-shaded with a slightly lighter tone of RLM71, obtained by mixing two drops of matt white on the paint remaining in the airbrush. Here's the result, just before removing the masking:

IMAG3073_zpsi4p7yf2m.jpg

After a few minutes of drying time, just enough for the paint to look dry, I removed the masking. This is how the model looks now:

IMAG3074_zpsdhkjjvrh.jpg

IMAG3075_zpsgnos9z16.jpg

IMAG3076_zpsssbmyklf.jpg

The next step is mottling the sides of the fuselage, tail and top of the rudder.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3

Very nice Jaime (as usual)! :)

The film idea is a good one - do you prise up the masking and push it underneath or how do you fix it? I guess that would do less (potential) damage than my current 'cheap tape' method.

Good luck with the mottling - can't wait to see how you get on!

• Like 1