Dornier Do 17z (Airfix 1/72 Dogfight Doubles)

You could always post them in their forum. With some nice comment like have already asked Airfix for replacement parts but was told out of stock so waiting to see what happens or something like that.

Especially if you show the pics of the details you have added and don't sound like a disgruntled consumer there is a good chance the extra attention from forum members might help sway them a bit faster.

Just an idea.

• Like 1

Thanks philp, that's a great idea. I'll register in the Airfix forum, show the work so far and let them know that I can't go past the cockpit detailing due to the lack of spares, which is true.

Thanks again

Jaime

• Like 1

Bit of a shock seeing those defective lower wings. Ironically the last time I received anything like that was an Airfix MiG-23 where the fuselage wasn't fully formed. This was many years ago and I complained to whoever owned Airfix at the time. They didn't have the spares and as a goodwill gesture sent me a new Douglas Skyray kit.

Yes I would complain to Airfix, definitely a major failure on their QC process.

• Like 1

As all above. I wouldn't have started that kit :angry: . This would return to the hobby shop for an exchange and a control in the shop for the next time to be sure it's ok. I do this whenever it's possible and most shop owners agree, if you buy there more than once. Old Airfix taught me that lesson with missing or wrong parts (e.g.: A mirage 2000 with two left fuselage halves, He177 with only a half nose blister, B-17 with a missing cockpit glaze....) I would also complain to Arfiix, especially if it was bought online. :badmood::nono:

But a great start on the cockpit. The eduard set seems to be worthy.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi bbudde,

Thanks for your appreciation.

I bought the kit on Amazon (at the time it was on backorder everywhere else) and started it about a month later. I didn´t notice the problem with the wing parts until last weekend. I had a problem with the transparent parts I noticed early on and requested a spare sprue from Airfix but I'm still waiting for them to send it.

I've already requested replacement wing parts from Airfix but will follow philp's suggestion and post my work on Airfix's Forum, as well as presenting a formal complaint in addition to the spare requests already made.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Stu,

I've just posted my work in progress on the Airfix Forum. Since the post has pictures, I got a message telling that it will have to be moderated before being published. So, it will be seen by some admin person. Hopefully that will speed up the spare availability :)

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Jaime,

I've just taken a look at the one I have, and it's perfect. Unfortunately for me, it's gone down the build pile as I've got a couple of commissions in front of it and a few others things I want to get done first, so if you want it you are more than welcome to it.

I have only stuck a few cockpit bit together, nothing is painted.

If you do want it, PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post.

Steve

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your very kind offer! It really means a lot!

Just let me give Airfix a couple of days to react to my request and to my post on their forum and if things don't turn out favourably, I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Jaime

I'm with Dan, I kicked off at them after building the VC boxing and all the kits bar the hurricane being complete pigs .... They sent me a complete new set... Turns out they kits are crap regardless. But I have see a few builds of this kit and none appear to have the massive issues yours does! Nice work on the PE though!

Rob

• Like 1

I Rob,

since I did my Grumman Duck (I published the RFI in BM), I try to avoid Airfix's older toolings and boxings made of old kits. Though I managed to achieve a reasonable result, the kit was very ill-fitting and rather coarse.

I have a lot of new tool Airfix kits in my stash and they seem to be ok, at least looking at the sprues in the box. This is the first one with serious flaws, which is disappointing, because I wanted to build it since it hit the shelves.

I bought the dogfight doubles box because I also wanted to build the Defiant and the decals for the Dornier are for an aircraft that actually flew during the BoB. The single boxing of the Dornier comes with decals for an aircraft that was shot down over Britain on the 3rd of July 1940, a few days before the official start of the BoB. However, the double boxing comes with paints and, in order to reduce the number of paints, Airfix adapted some of the colour call outs in the instructions. PhatomBigStu provided me a link to the instructions of the single boxings in order to find the proper colours. So, due to these adaptations, I'll think twice before buying further dogfight double boxings instead of the single boxings.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime,

Fully understand you want to give Airfix the chance to put things right. I you do get stuck though, just shout.

Steve

Steve, thanks again. I'll give feedback here regarding Airfix's reaction and let you know if I do need to resort to your kind offer.

Cheers

Jaime

I Rob,

since I did my Grumman Duck (I published the RFI in BM), I try to avoid Airfix's older toolings and boxings made of old kits. Though I managed to achieve a reasonable result, the kit was very ill-fitting and rather coarse.

I have a lot of new tool Airfix kits in my stash and they seem to be ok, at least looking at the sprues in the box. This is the first one with serious flaws, which is disappointing, because I wanted to build it since it hit the shelves.

I bought the dogfight doubles box because I also wanted to build the Defiant and the decals for the Dornier are for an aircraft that actually flew during the BoB. The single boxing of the Dornier comes with decals for an aircraft that was shot down over Britain on the 3rd of July 1940, a few days before the official start of the BoB. However, the double boxing comes with paints and, in order to reduce the number of paints, Airfix adapted some of the colour call outs in the instructions. PhatomBigStu provided me a link to the instructions of the single boxings in order to find the proper colours. So, due to these adaptations, I'll think twice before buying further dogfight double boxings instead of the single boxings.

Cheers

Jaime

Ask Mr p about his feelings on the gift set boxing's! I have to say I think he has a point.... but they are such a good price!

Rob

Do you have a link to the thread on the Airfix forum? I can't seem to find it there.

They do have a note to not post requests for spare parts but if you put it in as a build thread and just mentioned the issues it should still be there.

Hi philp,

The thread is not published yet because it has to be approved by the forum admin, since it has pictures attached. I hope it will be on the forum tomorrow. It is a WIP type thread and I mention the problems with the transparent sprue and the lower wing parts. I also say that I'm still waiting for Airfix to send me the spares I requested through customer service. I hope this will spark a reaction from Airfix.

I'll report back their reaction and provide a link as soon as the thread is published.

Thanks everyone for your support and interest. It means a lot to me.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hopefully Airfix will respond with a positive reply now that's on view in their forum. It's very good of you also to keep the tone of your comments neutral. Given the issues, it would be tempting to go off on a bit of a rant. Dogfight Double kits aren't exactly cheap and quite annoying to receive a defective one.

• Like 1

seen the post Jamie, hopefully it will help, also put one up about my lanc, maybe 2 expensive kits with big flaws might them think a bit more about quality control

Hi Stu, yes do post about your Lanc. By the way, I'll take a closer look at my Dambusters Lanc, just to make sure it is all right...

I agree, you have chosen your words wisely which I feel will ensure a positive response.

In light of your post and misfortune, I've just checked my Dornier a little closer and thankfully do not have similar issues.

To be honest, I was quite surprised at the amount of flash in a few places and the general pebbly finish which will need going over with a fair bit of micromesh.

I'd be very surprised if you did not end up with a complete new kit!

Cheers and good luck.. Dave.

• Like 1