+++ FINISHED 06-09-2018! +++ Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I (Airfix 1/72 Dogfight Doubles)

Thanks Ced! The IP wasn't difficult to assemble. The parts are self-adhesive, which simplifies gluing them together but also complicates a bit the positioning and alignment of the parts.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rob :)

Working with PE is really a test to one's patience, but I think I have plenty of that :D

I'll have to prime and paint the base colour of the cockpit parts before applying the next layer of PE. I'm working on my Tiger Moth to bring it to the point where I can prime and paint all my four current GB entries simultaneously (3 entries to the BoB GB and one to the Tiger Moth GB).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Yes, I'm doing the 4 builds in parallel and, at least for the cockpit phase, I can optimise the priming and painting by doing that simultaneously for them all. After that, it is not so clear if I can optimise the use of the airbrush.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I've been working slowly on my four current builds (3 BoB GB and a Tiger Moth GB) since last week but the day job hasn't allowed me much time for substantial posts here.

So, finally here is an update on the Defiant.

Alclad Grey Primer was applied to all parts already prepared:

y4mWwrcUdn58ZIn_ScJFmewDH8h1Xu11Xwp48Cb2

IMAG2685

The next step was masking the transparent parts (canopy and gun turret). I used Eduard's pre-cut masks, which I thought would be a good option, given the complexity of the glazing. It really was a good option because, even with pre-cut masks it took me two hours to mask the four parts... I can only guess how long it would take if I had to do it "by hand", cutting little pieces of masking tape...

Anyway, here are the transparent parts and the pre-cut masks, right before starting the masking job:

y4mjBYyp-X4B2OKKTCqScWpy3cjjNFpLwuWcimhQ

IMAG2693

This is the moving part of the canopy, after masking:

y4mRWLGU2LxAHztteZzNlf7kOlUrFt6KyPhL0WP5

IMAG2694

The wind shield, already masked:

y4mWYP8zKZ8WSb9VE5HMB1Q8qBf4Wbvc89xa9O-M

IMAG2695

The part of the canopy aft of the cockpit, also masked:

y4miH2Fj_323ViZ8rcHWdb4T9jpRC1GGBvimWAFM

IMAG2696

And here are the three parts together:

y4mzfYRG_vSRFSEXm8vERjTcFJ48IvQ6yQ0AYCtF

IMAG2697

Masking the gun turret was rather more complicated and required several steps, illustrated in the instructions that come with the masks.

Here's the turret after completing the first step. I mistakenly applied one of the pieces in the front but that was rectified in the next step:

y4mVDR1kSqSLbWrYRPcTaU2Oj2vQzDb2j2CBVs1G

IMAG2698

This is an intermediate step:

y4mrVd6iwp224pEFoTeGJlVaHdNVdpydhoEdgdP2

IMAG2700

And here it is fully masked (rotated 180 degrees in relation to the diagram, sorry):

y4mtexbc7tMUhvijlCidtexD0OvNI_YMR2f7285P

IMAG2701

Next, the transparent parts were stuck to blobs of blu-tack on toothpicks in order to be painted.

Here are the canopy parts, which will be painted interior green first and then with the camouflage colours:

y4mQrUBrKIbtmJrTLGoNDeu08vTCR4BU4TZ9v4__

IMAG2702

The turret will be painted black, so it was put together with other parts that will be painted black:

y4mzyeVxcKDBpr0Jn3AQixRvmI7pXU-iRra_d1me

IMAG2703

Finally, I painted the base colour: interior green

y4m5_e7ntJ04_r9gw0HxYLqcK3_Qpt-DMAeiHBXP

IMAG2707

The next step is painting the black parts.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 3

Hi Rob,

Thanks, but this one was easy due to the pre-cut masks. Even so, it took me a lot of time.

Yesterday I started masking the canopy of Wick's Bf 109 (one of my BoB GB entries), which has to be done by hand. That will be a hard one...

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Stix,

Thanks a lot for you appreciation. By the way, I've published an update on my Wick's 109 build, showing the masking of the canopy by hand, which took me 3h30 to do... From now on, I'll buy every pre-cut mask set I can...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

This is an update with last night's work. Most of the work I did was painting the canopies of my other builds for this GB (the Do 17z and the Bf 109 E4). However, I decided to remove some masking I had applied to the cockpit parts.

I started by removing the masking from the following part, which goes behind the instrument panel and has an area that should be natural metal instead of cockpit green. I used Alclad White Aluminium for the metal area:

y4mww-_8GlCOU8XQUrOEMW1t9k-ejd-lyIYsCo6F

IMAG2770

Then, I removed the masking from the circular black spot on the top of the bulkhead and from the pre-coloured PE areas of the part on the left side of the pilot's seat:

y4mU5CilB_IxapG7YC3RGIzVsNIaj_0T4xZOdCLe

IMAG2773

This part had been masked on the front tip and on the back where it joins the bulkhead. Unfortunately, when I removed the tape on the back, the pre-painted black was partially removed. I'll have to paint this area myself.

To finish with, I removed the masking from the small quadrant on the inner port cockpit wall. This time I didn't cause any damage:

y4mAR-VXooO_5To66O9cNqjcWpOUxx61WotJ4bHP

IMAG2774

I still have to paint some black parts before finishing building the cockpit.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Busy work week, no time for updates. Today, I finally managed to get some spare time to post the work since the last weekend.

I basically prepared all my four current builds to paint all parts that are matt black on the same airbrush session.

In the case of the Defiant this included some lateral consoles, to be applied on the cockpit walls, and the machine guns turret:

y4mqoWoIYwnjcSxojm9lmcWAe6y4PKwyLgkJ2aYn

IMAG2809

I had to paint brush the back of the the PE part on the side of the seat, which had its pre-painted black area taken away by masking tape:

y4mgC0p8czG5lsR8a2EoxFVPDP0LxsvXp0IQceea

IMAG2810

The handle of the control column was also painted black, and the gun trigger was painted silver with a paint brush:

y4mpzRgxgpTwinUhlJHhSvslmmKyROqzHZLL4Z8_

IMAG2820

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi,

Last night I managed to finish the application of the cockpit PE bits, apart from the seat belts, which will be applied after weathering.

I started by applying the two black planks to the cockpit's floor:

y4mpNHbTozvv_gzAEAiVlE8QDyhejzFLF1HiAN1i

IMAG2843

This was followed by glueing together the floor, bulkhead with seat and control column:

y4mTtGkYdI7Jjd2xzEigmh1RnQoNXOdAxgK1_tKP

IMAG2844

Next, I glued the side consoles to the cockpit walls:

y4mi41ctdMq5Tg61M2CtzX93Dy_LffQefFIKCnlp

IMAG2845

y4mdE4h_iLXS3W8EQcDW3z7UnhrB_6j3-FX0SXCn

IMAG2846

The PE bits were then applied. The port console only has one on the top and the big quadrant with several levers. This quadrant was obtained after multiple bends of the flat PE part that makes it up:

y4mdTQqxU2iai3TxmuyZtQIUivBnxbr-pEUIEV66

IMAG2847

The starboard console has several PE bits. This is the end result but only the lower right one had to be bent:

y4mOSIKsDmIo3D3CrTpb4cohd_p-B6Oj2lW-H9uk

IMAG2849

The cockpit is now ready for weathering. The seat belts will also be weathered while in the PE fret and then applied to the seat.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5