+++ FINISHED 06-09-2018! +++ Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I (Airfix 1/72 Dogfight Doubles)

Hi Jaime, great work with the etch parts. Your foot straps on the pedals look a lot better than mine. Very well done. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

I'm afraid I won't be able to finish this one in time for this GB. So I'm asking Mish to move the thread to the KUTA GB, so that I can finish it in a GB with some more time.

I hope I can still get your comments and attention there, which are always much appreciated :)

I hope I can manage to post the latest progress soon (I've been working on the cockpit, applying the remaining PE bits and weathering the lot).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Jaime, dont worry. I just about managed to build one model in time. I know you have a busy life. I'll keep an eye out for it in the KUTA GB. Cheers, Joe.

• Like 1

Hi Jaime, dont worry. I just about managed to build one model in time. I know you have a busy life. I'll keep an eye out for it in the KUTA GB. Cheers, Joe.

Thanks, Joe! It's always a pleasure to get your comments and suggestions! :)

Will be watching this one Jamie, got one in the stash to build

Thanks, Mish! Hope you can find it helpful for your build :)

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Here's an update on the progress done over the last two weeks. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I didn't manage to finish this one in time for the BoB GB. Anyway, I'll continue the work here, in the KUTA GB.

As explained in my Wick's Bf 109 thread, I did weathering work on my builds, including the Defiant.

Here's the starboard inner cockpit wall after weathering and flat-coating. Additionally, the side console was finished with Alclad's Light Sheen coating, as the kit's instructions say it was semi-gloss black:

y4mQoFbDRV64Yey42IDToKeUFoJQjwXsKzbEV0uX

IMAG2920

The port side got a similar treatment, including the Light Sheen coating of the console and quadrant:

y4mbqyUGW6575ZCb7TvugqS4xDshdYwpXSk4kUbg

IMAG2921

The cockpit base and seat after weathering and flat-coating. The seatbelts still have to be applied:

y4mPgTzIfMAxIC8XaeF9SQLDpYZ0z2r_E-HtD0o3

IMAG2922

The gun turret base and cockpit's front bulkhead:

y4ms2GAtOLRXk6Nnt666EY95wq1wBIj9zQgOTTlN

IMAG2923

I applied drops of Aqua Gloss on the dials of the instrument panel to simulate the covering glasses:

y4mNC4I6s5Zn-AKjtlMWdbitocpVKnDM56hYjtW5

IMAG2924

The gun turret is ready to have its masking removed:

y4mbSeP_mlW-D_ZqJoWTvbbeJMa83nzWlJgYRZa_

IMAG2925

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

After a long stay in the shelf of doom, this build is being resurrected for the RAF Centenary GB.

Work was resumed by installing the PE seat belts on the pilot's seat. Here are the vertical harnesses:

y4mlbARn0Y2JtVMBkGfL-oBZq4zqIVgcWJ9NauFj

IMAG5557

The buckles on the larger harness were bent with a pair of tweezers:

y4mq9x07MvOaUW-wkNPV2hVeLWdkdukHZ7J-amjQ

IMAG5558

Straps were glued on the larger harness, right below the buckles:

y4mxvSuGKW_4f5H3Upj4E0uZwvjdgnGgNh-LjI6N

IMAG5559

The horizontal harnesses were taken off the fret:

y4mQCcJS64dhJb0A_xvsxGyc_m6k6rTc3FCBP0YX

IMAG5560

The vertical harnesses were glued in place:

y4mNxPS-RWXtZ-lzSdBuvDzp8Y6SQB4sStcHPNbl

IMAG5564

Finally, the horizontal harnesses were also glued in place:

y4mP2UzJCmxHi96SJduPSPyZB39YbTk1WZERXlwj

IMAG5565

Next, the cockpit and associated parts were glued to the inner port-fuselage wall:

y4mzmIGXEqzzva5vzX6kkG2yAyTDbBRR1vR9rBLq

IMAG5566

I found that the instrument panel's back would be visible through the wind-shield, so I painted its back and sides matte black by brush:

y4mf2Ki_izaHhcq9_iEPgpdQ0rM5TE1APqlBMfvu

IMAG5567

After allowing the paint to dry, I glued the instrument panel in place, as well as the control column, which had been knocked out of place:

y4my5-t6AfASvi2Jo3dF7_F2K5VQzsqC_u2_e6ZU

IMAG5568

The fuselage halves were, then, glued together and clamped while the glue cured. I used TET applied over small stretches at a time. The fit was very good. Hopefully, there won't be any serious missaligments:

y4m159sZXstF8ZADATjFzJSoz2Zj6rAgTCyJvSDZ

IMAG5569

I could now take care of the wings, which will have PE flaps applied. This implies cutting off the moulded in flaps and filing some inner surfaces, as per the instructions of the PE set shown below:

y4mMd_7Q3sIeSEDBjSkH1fvQ3r8n8BF0E6Kvxunk

IMAG5570

Since I've already finished a few models with extensive use of interior and surface PE parts, installing the PE flaps will be the novelty and noteworthy aspect of this build.

To cut the moulded in flaps off the underside of the wing, I used the micro-saw shown here:

y4m18NFj6JUgZ9yJbETGIC202ot1CodXQog7Wrx8

IMAG5571

Here's the result: flaps cut off and inner surfaces of the top wing parts near the flaps filed:

y4mKOq0FHUUSPDp78ry8paOtbnOuXQyO5teO_xRh

IMAG5572

To finish with this modelling session, I glued the wheel well part to the underside of the wing and left the glue to cure:

y4mlq-8Kj613X6Bt1WOaIHyDwGRWGLC65T-9cMzK

IMAG5573

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fatboydim said:

Great cockpit detail Jaime. 

Thanks, Joe! It's great having you around!

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Hi again,

I've been working on the highlight point of this build: the PE flaps. Here is the PE flaps fret:

y4moe4IqMe36tTHqkF_uh9PHDZKI9fGxaN3oZIKG

IMAG5574

I started with the fixed part of one of the outboard flaps. Here it is just cut off the fret:

y4mRpqpyRIpyo7e_BVAfaLAChb-BIc_MqJG3D64s

IMAG5575

Contrary to the instructions, I first bent the longest edge:

y4m7fBtj3XgstaRtu3_DudT3STjDqqOi98I-OO3a

IMAG5576

Next, I bent the lateral edges:

y4mzRP57Vmr1Am1C_MCeJtyKLEfhtHVx9u9LQAiJ

IMAG5577

Then, I reoriented the inner ribs vertically:

y4mcE-Jmwss_LlD852IjqFm5eTQtI-sC_C_yUF_G

IMAG5578

Finally, the ribs were moved 180 degrees to fit in the corresponding slots. They were glued in place with slow CA:

y4mtfLGBc_TjVfPBki-UmSx5aKxWJvzBtr110jOg

IMAG5579

This same procedure was used to prepare the other fixed flaps. However, the ribs of the larger inboard fixed flaps are made differently, as the ribs come in a separate part:

y4mY_nL5eKP37cIyd2mlkDI28NONtWHYqN16cyyv

IMAG5581

The ribs were reoriented vertically:

y4mFxzr1Y8jlLhjSILAsG8t5bClNzNztMQWAuC6L

IMAG5582

... and, then, glued in place. Here are the two inboard fixed flaps done:

y4mhymQ-6Ymd7aFcx9rrs47fXPt7bvWYXfxC4Zjm

IMAG5583

The moving part of the flaps are made up of two PE parts. Here are the parts for one of the larger, inboard flaps:

y4mLamIJTy21AEfj-JdPJbK18O2pFGKs3mHh8Sog

IMAG5584

Using the procedures shown above, I built up the moving parts of the flaps:

y4mWNbo5K46n9_w29v0DZW9LD0I6-maFe8kO77yz

IMAG5585

y4mCn3_zkS51JR4Bcs7R7_AWoEygnM5Nl9KYiiwj

IMAG5586

The moving parts require a 0,4 mm rod to be inserted through the holes in the ribbings. As I didn't have an appropriate evergreen rod, I decided to use 0,5 mm transparent sewing line:

y4mEbvvRcX0kcrTI5mAiR8Nq6dkYqmawTUMIGz9m

IMAG5589

After some time, including breaking and re-glueing some of the the ribs, I got this:

y4m2yAwq3zqYhaYYyWmX3FBrXAbDXm2hYqLpmeDD

IMAG5590

Unfortunately, I glued some of the ribs in the wrong orientation and didn't get straight lines in two of the flaps. The other two are more or less acceptable:

y4mfYLZ4vjggB5URq7gq8rCYDK9tM0YhWut9OuaC

IMAG5591

So, I removed the lines and reoriented the ribs in the two worst parts. Here's the final result.  It's not perfect but I'll leave it like that

y4mQkBprfP-_MYp-qsUbwKpOFYnWRqdv4yIStU1Z

IMAG5592

y4maA8sxRoqQ_9gOTRhTkLim_SME9Jz3ew2QbVU4

IMAG5593

Next, I spent several ours iteratively filing the inner surface of the top wing parts, on the area where the fixed flaps parts will be glued, and fry fitting the wing parts and fixed flap parts, to ensure that the top edges of the flaps would be flush with the under surface of the wing. In the end, it seemed I managed to achieve this objective.

So, I glued the wing parts together and left them to cure. The fit was very good:

y4mOuzvlc00MWbuTH0gGTtC1qTRPtAdaNTeuC3fl

IMAG5594

I also glued in place the fairing on the top fuselage behind the gun turret. I had to fill a gap on the port side with CA:

y4mKoCm1JYpgR-3NTu43Gp2eqgDj7CVEkHHJdC-n

IMAG5595

Jaime

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Very neat work Jaime. 

Thank you for your interest and kind words, Joe :)

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Nice to see this one resurrected Jaime - following! :) 

Amazing work on those flaps at this scale - very fiddly!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice to see this one resurrected Jaime - following! :) 

Amazing work on those flaps at this scale - very fiddly!

Thank you, Ced! Very kind, as always :)

The flaps are indeed very fiddly and I spent a lot of time filing the interior of the top wing parts, to try and make the flaps fit properly. The end result is not perfect, as the fixed parts of the flaps ended up slightly proud of the undersurface of the wing.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

It's time to bring this thread up to date, since I've been slowly progressing since the last post.

With the wing parts glued together it was time to glue the fixed part of the flaps. Here is the wing just before gluing the flaps, while I was carving away plastic from the flap actuator markings on the undersurface. PE flap actuators will be installed later:

y4mAIWlk8yQLwKI61RdIi3h1eWR8Mgfe97v3yisZ

IMAG5600

I spent some time thinking about the best way to glue the flaps. CA glue would harden too fast, allowing too little time for corrections. So, I decided to use 5 minute-Araldite:

y4m_lULT-HZWHiXtFHdReg0u-aw2o5Duk3qAtGn6

IMAG5608

Here are the instructions: it allows 5 minute working time, hardens in 20 minutes and reaches maximum strength after 2 hours of curing time:

y4mwC6gQjqjJ-JaTXXfYHxd_ThbhhL178tpoRzIA

IMAG5616

Here are the fixed flap parts ready for glueing.

y4m8IaTshePqtGain0A2oOsrF7C_KvkWdk36IAIm

IMAG5609

Before glueing the flap parts, I had to do some additional filing of the inner surface of the top wing parts, since after glueing the wing parts the flaps became again slightly proud of the wing undersurface.

After glueing, this was the result:

y4m7qO3OSIN72FsR8Uh9UZTxAVtCS0u3hlAj9LPv

IMAG5611

y4m9UnUw-M33NqxkH2hA2xYtg9PXiQgH9hmp8HFe

IMAG5612

There are still a few gaps to fill in and the damaged ribs were later repaired.

To be continued. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5