Single Action Airbrush for Alclad II?

erewhon1872

Hi all,

I am hoping to do my first paint job with Alclad II soon, looking at the demo videos on their website they recommend you use a single action airbrush to spray their product.

Although they say that they don't really say why it's better than using a dual action.

Can anyone tell me if they have used a dual action airbrush and if they hit any problems using it spraying Alclad II?

Also if it really is necessary to get one can anyone recommend a good single action airbrush?

I'm in the UK by the way for anybody recommending a particular place/site :)

Thanks in advance,

Pete

p.s. I didn't look first to see if this subject has been covered before, apologies if it has.

I use a dual action with Alclad and never found any problems - apart from getting the Alclad to stay on the model. - but that's just with chrome - primer and other metals seem to work just fine

• Like 1

I think you will find that is probably because in the US Alclad retail a range of airbrushes, all appear to be single action and look like the Badger 200.

Neither I, nor my customers as far as I know have had any application problems with double action, gravity fed brushes in relation to Alclad.

There are plenty of good ones around, we stock Harder & Steenbeck as well as the Sparmax trigger operated GP-35 & GP-50 airbrushes.

All should cope with alclad, but if you are applying an normal area area coverage a highish flow area nozzle 0.35/0.4mm would be my choice.

Harder & Steenbeck Ultra or Evolution models or the Sparmax GP-35 spring to mind.

Paul

Paul

• Like 1

thanks to all, looks like the consensus is that there's no problem at all using a dual action, it just looks like care and practice are required!

By the way how to you clean your airbrush afterwards, if these are lacquer paints I'd assume it would be with some form of white spirits?

Again thanks for the input,

Pete

I think you will find that is probably because in the US Alclad retail a range of airbrushes, all appear to be single action and look like the Badger 200.

Neither I, nor my customers as far as I know have had any application problems with double action, gravity fed brushes in relation to Alclad.

There are plenty of good ones around, we stock Harder & Steenbeck as well as the Sparmax trigger operated GP-35 & GP-50 airbrushes.

All should cope with alclad, but if you are applying an normal area area coverage a highish flow area nozzle 0.35/0.4mm would be my choice.

Harder & Steenbeck Ultra or Evolution models or the Sparmax GP-35 spring to mind.

Paul

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for the information, I have a h&s Evolution which came with a 0,4 needle and nozzle set which not making large models I have never used, so looks like it may now come in very handy!

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

thanks to all, looks like the consensus is that there's no problem at all using a dual action, it just looks like care and practice are required!

By the way how to you clean your airbrush afterwards, if these are lacquer paints I'd assume it would be with some form of white spirits?

Pete

I use cellulose thinners. Cleans the Iwata very well.

I've also had no trouble using a dual action brush. Sounds like marketing to me :coolio:

Rick.

Pete

As Rick stated, I also use cellulose thinners to clean my H&S Ultra. Whatever you do, don't use white spirits.

Cheers,

Tom.

Find thee, thine local car body shop supplier and avail thyself of the Superior Thinner of Cellulose at ye knockdown price

primervoodoo.jpg

Yet heed thee mine warning: runneth thee thine extractor fan furiously and weareth thee, thine mask of countenance protection or prepareth for thine afterlife.

Anil Ye Reader Currently of Magna Carta

• Like 4

You guys are lucky, If we get caught with that in California ... well ... it's off to the concentration camp.

Mr Budzik, It is precisely because of you I am using this stuff. Having followed your site and YouTube Channel, I have the requisite LPH50 & 80 guns, dental resin powder and many of your recommendations and am happier for them!

Though imagine my surprise when my car restoration painter tested Alclad grey primer and declared it to be prethinned 3M (or similar ) primer with some toluene to further damage the user. His comments on paying nearly $15 for 250ml of Mr Hobby levelling thinner were not repeatable but he did hand me some gloss thinner and asked me to see if I could tell the difference, I could, they work the same but the gloss thinner cost $15 a gallon.

In case I don't case get the chance to tell you personally one day, Paul you are not only a gifted modeller and supremely accomplished, your generosity in giving your knowledge and time to others through your site is inspiring.

I have to go now as the Solvent Police are hammering at my door and yelling something about a free trip to Poland...

Anil

• Like 2

Anil

Where did you manage to get your dental resin powder from

Thanks

My dentist who like Paul, hates the stuff and had two 500g bottles given to him as samples which he gave me for nothing (well he charged me the national debt of Ecuador for the root canal work). Then he promptly told me that the same resin used by "nail technicians" and I tried this which surprise, surprise works the same way with zap a gap (go to Pauls site for the details). Apparently the dental supply companies repackage this as "dental resin", the pink stuff is used for what called a French manicure and is re-purposed (so their rep says) into denture repair powder as its the same colour.

Paul's comment about "repackaged existing material" could hardly be truer. Incidentally if you haven't visited http://www.paulbudzik.com/, go right now: Its not just inspiring but I learnt more in 1 hour here than 4 years of going to clubs and meetings.

Anil

Hey Erewhon

Another option for primers & Alclad is something like this:

vedatr.jpg

This is a clone of the Iwata TR and it behaves more like a spray gun: Pulling back the trigger starts air and paint which means its technically a single action. Like a spray gun you use the screw adjustor on the back to preset the maximum paint flow or just learn to pull back the trigger to the right paint flow. A lot of folks find this easier to use than a regular double action/trigger airbrush . I use this for all primers and varnishes when I cant be bothered to set up my Iwata LPH50 spray gun.

Paul @ Littlecars sells the real deal but this is a £30 Chinese clone which seems to work as well and cost a lot less than £325 I dropped on the LPH50

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2

Find thee, thine local car body shop supplier and avail thyself of the Superior Thinner of Cellulose at ye knockdown price

primervoodoo.jpg

Yet heed thee mine warning: runneth thee thine extractor fan furiously and weareth thee, thine mask of countenance protection or prepareth for thine afterlife.

Anil Ye Reader Currently of Magna Carta

thanks, looks as if I may need to get myself down to Ye Olde Robin of Sherwood Car Respray Shoppee then? :)

I assume a member of the public can buy these items, you don't have to be 'in the trade'?

Pete

Hey Erewhon

Another option for primers & Alclad is something like this:

This is a clone of the Iwata TR and it behaves more like a spray gun: Pulling back the trigger starts air and paint which means its technically a single action. Like a spray gun you use the screw adjustor on the back to preset the maximum paint flow or just learn to pull back the trigger to the right paint flow. A lot of folks find this easier to use than a regular double action/trigger airbrush . I use this for all primers and varnishes when I cant be bothered to set up my Iwata LPH50 spray gun.

Paul @ Littlecars sells the real deal but this is a £30 Chinese clone which seems to work as well and cost a lot less than £325 I dropped on the LPH50

Cheers

Anil

Hi Anil,

any chance you could pass on the model number of the airbrush in the picture? I have looked up the Veda brand and all I can find are dual action brushes that seem to be H&S/Iwata clones, but I cannot see this one?

Cheers,

Pete

thanks, looks as if I may need to get myself down to Ye Olde Robin of Sherwood Car Respray Shoppee then? :)

I assume a member of the public can buy these items, you don't have to be 'in the trade'?

Pete

Hi Pete

Most bodyshop suppliers sell to the public, minimum quantity tends to be a litre. Note with the 1K primer you dilute 50/50 with thinners.

Cheers

Anil

Hehe this thread brought a smile to my dial!

Anil thanks for the tips, I have no idea if I can get anything remotely close to this in Australia but my struggle with AK Interactive grey primer is doing my head in so I'll do some PI work.

Paul, I am also a new follower of yours and I agree whole heartedly with Anils gracious comments.

As to the airbrush for priming I stupidly primed my Super Hornet with a 0.2mm Veda 180 airbrush 2 nights ago and it was painful! Yes I did know better having watched Paul's youtube vids however I don't have anything better currently and the only other model I've primed to date has been a 1:72 Zero. The FA-18E is so much bigger!

Anil if you could divulge the model and source of your cheap airbrush I'm sure many would be very appreciative.

Cheers guys

Homer

Edited by Homerlovesbeer