1/72 Gloster Gladiator on skis

Hi there

Although I have been on BM for a while now, I thought it was about time that I actually posted a picture of one of my models. The photos below show my recent completion of the 1/72 Airfix Gloster J-8A which Airfix informs me was used by the Swedish Voluntary Air Force in Finland in 1940. I just liked the skull and crossbones!

The colour callouts in the Airfix kit are very handy as they are drawn to 1/72. Tracing the callouts and then transferring to Tamiya masking tape makes the camo scheme just that bit easier to apply - it still seems to take a long time compared to the actual paint spraying and unmasking...

Rigging was done with E-Z line and I used Deluxe Products' Snow Flakes for the base.

BI%20008xx.jpg

BI%20010xx.jpg

BI%20012xx.jpg

BI%20016xx.jpg

Regards

Richard C

• Like 37

What a corker,......I like the Gladiator and your model captures the lines of this gritty little fighter superbly, plus you`ve got the Swedish Volunteer Group colours off to a tee!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

That's a great rendition of a 'Winter War' Gladiator!

The camo looks spot on – the regular Swedish AF livery of dk green uppers and sky blu undersides was broken up with improvised silver paint as winter camouflage.

IIRC, the skull & crossbones markings were not actually used in combat but added just before the surviving J 8 fighters returned to Sweden.

Splendid modelling with perfect scale rigging!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Superb little Gladiator. Great finish with great rigging. Joe

Absolutely superb Richard!

You have done a fantastic job on the Gladiator, I think it's the best one I have seen. The rigging is extremely well done and I really like the colour scheme.

I look forward to seeing it at one of the club meetings soon.

Very well done.

Craig.