Chengdu J-7 Egyptian Air Force

fw190ddora

Hi Guys

I wanted to build a F - 7 of the Egyptian Air Force from a Mig - 21, F - 13 's revell . They should have in-service training for the F - 7B What are the changes to make ?
I saw that we have to add the rear brake parachute and that there are two versions of the canopy , one early and one late , right?

Thanks for your help

Alvise

Yup, canopy and para-brake-housing are major differences.

Cannon/s, different aerials etc. the next few ones.

Although: that is all related to Egyptian F-7Bs. Egypt has also got a small batch of F-7As (with forward hinged canopy), and some of these are still in service...

Does it have to be 1/72? If you haven't already got the Revell kit, Trumpeter do a nice 1/48 F-7B that would avoid the conversion work. Aztec do a set of MiG-21F-13/F-7 decals (Sky Guardians part 2) that includes Egyptian markings that would give you a good start.

I've got one in (very slow) progress that will be finished as a Burmese aircraft. I can't vouch for the absolute accuracy, but so far it is a nice build.

Andy

Yup, canopy and para-brake-housing are major differences.

Cannon/s, different aerials etc. the next few ones.

Although: that is all related to Egyptian F-7Bs. Egypt has also got a small batch of F-7As (with forward hinged canopy), and some of these are still in service...

Hi Tom!

I suppose that you are the right man to comment what would be a good source for modelling purposes about the J-7E? I'm thinking converting the Revell 1/72 MiG-21F.

Cheers,

AaCee

I'm not even sure to understand your question correctly, AC, not to talk about being the right man. ;-)

Anyway, the J-7E is the first of two double-delta variants, also including a new ('big' and rear-hinged) canopy, pitot tube above intake (on the right side), para-brake housing, and plenty of various aerials on forward and lower fuselage, as well as the top of the fin.

Underwing pylons are different in comparison to originals (adapted for PL-5s): they have a 'step' along the leading edge.

If that was not your question, but you meant what kit would work fine for making a J-7E: no clue.

Sure is: a typical MiG-21F-13-kit is simply not going to be enough. While there should be no problem with adding various RWR-antennas, new anti-collision lights, and various new comm-antenas, J-7E's cockpit, main wing, pylons, para-brake-housing, and ejection seat that are entirely different in comparison to those of the F-13 - and I'm really not sure they can be scratch built that 'easily'.

• Like 1

I'm not even sure to understand your question correctly, AC, not to talk about being the right man. ;-)

Anyway, the J-7E is the first of two double-delta variants, also including a new ('big' and rear-hinged) canopy, pitot tube above intake (on the right side), para-brake housing, and plenty of various aerials on forward and lower fuselage, as well as the top of the fin.

Underwing pylons are different in comparison to originals (adapted for PL-5s): they have a 'step' along the leading edge.

If that was not your question, but you meant what kit would work fine for making a J-7E: no clue.

Sure is: a typical MiG-21F-13-kit is simply not going to be enough. While there should be no problem with adding various RWR-antennas, new anti-collision lights, and various new comm-antenas, J-7E's cockpit, main wing, pylons, para-brake-housing, and ejection seat that are entirely different in comparison to those of the F-13 - and I'm really not sure they can be scratch built that 'easily'.

Thank you Tom!

In fact my question was incomplete as my intention was to ask good references and reliable drawings over what I have found online.

As an old school modeller making comparable conversions in the 19701s I'm not so scared of carving mould for home-made canopy nor adding the brake shute and making new outer wings.

Cheers,

AaCee

Ah, I see. Ok, then I'll shock you now - shock you, indeed ;-) - by making some advertising for one of volumes co-authored by trully your's: Modern Chinese Air Power.

In that book you can find detailed description of every single J-7-variant, plus at least 4-5 photos and a similar number of artworks of J-7Es (in PLAAF and in PLANAF livery).

Edited by Tom Cooper

Ah, I see. Ok, then I'll shock you now - shock you, indeed ;-) - by making some advertising for one of volumes co-authored by trully your's: Modern Chinese Air Power.

In that book you can find detailed description of every single J-7-variant, plus at least 4-5 photos and a similar number of artworks of J-7Es (in PLAAF and in PLANAF livery).

Haha! You are a bit late! I have this nice, fine, great, excellent, stunning, wonderful, gorgeous, mouth watering etc. book already :winkgrin:

I was thinking to write "except your work"! But biggest problem I have is that I'm still missing either a reliable drawing or a first class picture showing the new wing. Some detail pics I have from the Beijing museum.

All the best,

AaCee

Ah, you need reliable drawings. OK. I'll check with Andy (Rupprecht) - aka 'Deino' - if he's got some.

And special thanks for buying that one. Much appreciated. More in this direction is to follow the next year. ;-)

Ah, you need reliable drawings. OK. I'll check with Andy (Rupprecht) - aka 'Deino' - if he's got some.

And special thanks for buying that one. Much appreciated. More in this direction is to follow the next year. ;-)

Plenty of thanks Tom (and also to Andy)! For the book, coming book and asking the drawings!

Cheers,

AaCee