CMR 1/72nd Buccaneer X 2 - 18th October Intakes now fitted/blended/sanded

Having finally completed the Academy 1/32nd Hornet and the Trumpeter 1/48th F-106 Delta Dart I decided to start 2 of the CMR Buccaneers (to be exact a few weeks ago). As some of you know I am the very privileged owner of XX894 which was painted for retirement as 020 on Ark Royal. I have therefore decided to build one of the Buccaneers as the real 020 on the deck waiting to go on the cat and the second one on the cat of Ark Royal. Major aspirations indeed!

I originally bought the CMR RN Buccaneers when they first launched so these must have been gathering dust for around 6 years. I also had the Neomega wheel well and Cockpit set for the Airfix 1/72nd Buccaneer. These are better detailed and more accurate than what CMR provided IMO so I cut them up and used them with additional scratch details for the cockpits.

Please note this cockpits are not finished as there is still quite a lot more detailing to do. They are not absolutely accurate as I am basing them on pictures of XX894 a late mod RAF Buccaneer versus an aircraft that was in fact 20+ years younger in avionics fit. I do have photos of an early S2 Buccaneer cockpit and luckily the differences in 1/72nd scale are not overly massive.

1R9fXX.jpg

TvDS96.jpg

9CtPEA.jpg

The addition of a small panel with the "cheeses".\

lPnNzM.jpg

And the two together.

ehVKh0.jpg

Next update in a couple of weeks as I am off to Japan on business for 1.5 weeks but I am hoping to have half a day to visit the modelling mecca and get the new Tamiya Mossies and the Fine Molds 1/72nd Tomcat.

Anyone tell me how to move this topic to work in progress?

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 15

I shall be following this one as my CMR Bucc has been steadily making its way to the top of the to-do pile. I will no doubt be unashamedly stealing your ideas & tips - your cockpit details have already been noted!

How are the canopies in your kits? Mine have yellowed badly & look more appropriate for a Prowler or suchlike that use a nice gold tinted one! I need to think about getting a vacform mould done before I start....

Keith

I shall be following this one as my CMR Bucc has been steadily making its way to the top of the to-do pile. I will no doubt be unashamedly stealing your ideas & tips - your cockpit details have already been noted!

How are the canopies in your kits? Mine have yellowed badly & look more appropriate for a Prowler or suchlike that use a nice gold tinted one! I need to think about getting a vacform mould done before I start....

Keith

Mine are all fine - I may be able to help you. Let me check when I get back from my travels.

• Like 1

Popcorn ready, I've got one of these to do, so I'm confident your build will pack all the tips and inspiration one will need :)

I remember Bill, Navy Bird (I think?) did a gorgeous CMR Navy Bucc on here a few years ago too, so there should be some great inspiration there for you if you can find it.

Must be great to model an aircraft you own of this calibre :)

• Like 1

A very impressive start. Had to leave 72nd for 48 a few years back due to bad eyes and fat fingers so I have lots of admiration for those in the smaller scales! Looking forward to the next update

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My CMR Bucc is still waiting in my stash.

Those cockpits look fantastic, Colin! You are right, there is a lot more detail there than what CMR provided. One of the off-shoots of CMR (name escapes me at the moment) has a new tool resin early Buccaneer that looks very nice as well. Have you seen that?

When I built my Buccaneer, I didn't know that CMR made a small error on the tail - namely the fairing at the top of the tail is the later, larger version and should be smaller on the RN example I modelled. That might be something you can look out for. Also, the wings are mounted on the centerline of the intakes, and should be mounted somewhat above that. But every Buccaneer kit on the planet has that problem! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Popcorn ready, I've got one of these to do, so I'm confident your build will pack all the tips and inspiration one will need :)

I remember Bill, Navy Bird (I think?) did a gorgeous CMR Navy Bucc on here a few years ago too, so there should be some great inspiration there for you if you can find it.

Must be great to model an aircraft you own of this calibre :)

Thanks. Bill certainly did do a cracking job and I am sure I will be calling on some of his experience in this build. I certainly cannot complain for lack of reference :-)

Just spotted this Colin. Hurry up back from Korea.........

I am now back but I head out to LA tomorrow. I have some goodies that will be sent your way this week from my recent trip to Japan.

Those cockpits look fantastic, Colin! You are right, there is a lot more detail there than what CMR provided. One of the off-shoots of CMR (name escapes me at the moment) has a new tool resin early Buccaneer that looks very nice as well. Have you seen that?

When I built my Buccaneer, I didn't know that CMR made a small error on the tail - namely the fairing at the top of the tail is the later, larger version and should be smaller on the RN example I modelled. That might be something you can look out for. Also, the wings are mounted on the centerline of the intakes, and should be mounted somewhat above that. But every Buccaneer kit on the planet has that problem! :)

Cheers,

Bill

It is Scale Resin and they are expecting to ship the NA39 and S1 in September I believe. I will be ordering both. http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/scaleresina7201previewbg_1.htm

That is interesting about the Buccaneer tail - do you have any more details? I know about the wing centre line issue - the only kit that you could fudge it on is the Vac 1/32nd kit - if you dared that is!

Small update from this weekend in between work travels.

I bought the Neomega wheel wells as well that are meant for the Airfix kit but are much more detailed than what CMR provide. They do require a little work to fit and a few extra details but I think it is worth it.

First the "naked" parts.

Starting work on fitting them.

Py6MQT.jpg

muL9GX.jpg

iLvwPi.jpg

MRkgLS.jpg

ZwBumL.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 8

That is interesting about the Buccaneer tail - do you have any more details? I know about the wing centre line issue - the only kit that you could fudge it on is the Vac 1/32nd kit - if you dared that is!

Hi Colin,

I cringe when trimming a vacuform canopy, I can't imagine a 1:32 vac Buccaneer! Yikes!

About the tail - CMR provide two tailplanes, pre-Mod.1514 and post-Mod. 1514. The difference seems to be the addition of Radar Warning Receivers on the post-Mod tailplane. The size of the bullet fairings seem the same on both tailplanes in the kit.

What I noticed was that the bullet fairings on the front and back of the tailplane look larger on the model than on the actual aircraft. I built XV864, seen here in real life post-Mod. 1514:

XV864_021.jpg

And here is my CMR model in a similar pose:

100_2203.jpg

Don't the bullet fairings on my model's tailplane look larger than those on the actual aircraft? Maybe this is a photographic illusion, but others have pointed out the same concern. The scale drawings in the instructions have bullet fairings that look more like the photo of the actual aircraft, and not on the model.

My thinking (I know - dangerous) was that maybe there was a mod subsequent to 1514 where the bullet fairings got larger, and that's what is in the kit. Pure speculation on my part, of course. What do you think? Photographic illusion, or did the fairings get bigger at some point?

Your build is coming along really well! Good choice on using the Neomega wheel wells, they look so much nicer, especially with the extra details you're adding. Carry on!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Danger. Resin master at work. Be inspired at your peril.......... :)

You've been slacking recently Steve, where you up to with those Hawks? Hope work isn't getting in the way, the nemesis of modelling!

not that I can say much at the moment :blush:

• Like 1

I'm another with a CMR Bucc lurking in the stash so will be watching. Another reason for watching is the quality of the build and the way your WIP is composed, all very professional looking.

Duncan B

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

I cringe when trimming a vacuform canopy, I can't imagine a 1:32 vac Buccaneer! Yikes!

About the tail - CMR provide two tailplanes, pre-Mod.1514 and post-Mod. 1514. The difference seems to be the addition of Radar Warning Receivers on the post-Mod tailplane. The size of the bullet fairings seem the same on both tailplanes in the kit.

What I noticed was that the bullet fairings on the front and back of the tailplane look larger on the model than on the actual aircraft. I built XV864, seen here in real life post-Mod. 1514:

XV864_021.jpg

And here is my CMR model in a similar pose:

100_2203.jpg

Don't the bullet fairings on my model's tailplane look larger than those on the actual aircraft? Maybe this is a photographic illusion, but others have pointed out the same concern. The scale drawings in the instructions have bullet fairings that look more like the photo of the actual aircraft, and not on the model.

My thinking (I know - dangerous) was that maybe there was a mod subsequent to 1514 where the bullet fairings got larger, and that's what is in the kit. Pure speculation on my part, of course. What do you think? Photographic illusion, or did the fairings get bigger at some point?

Your build is coming along really well! Good choice on using the Neomega wheel wells, they look so much nicer, especially with the extra details you're adding. Carry on!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the information Bill - that is something I never realised.

A little painting progress. First start was a base coast of dark gray to make sure there where no humdinger mistakes.

Then 3-4 shades of highlight in certain areas. Lots more detailed painting needed here as large parts of the main U/C bays are metal

zcjwNY.jpg

jYQGDv.jpg

uswJrb.jpg

CLCK5B.jpg

68tIO4.jpg

TMVdxI.jpg

QL0b1V.jpg

WqMpfy.jpg

ei6sfw.jpg

vobDPi.jpg

More work later this week when I am back in the UK

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 7

They are coming along really well,........I`m scared of starting mine but seeing you plodding on with yours is inspiring me to have a go too, good luck with the rest of the build,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1