1/16 Tamiya German Machine gunner

Hi Guys, there are some fantastic figure painters around, on these boards and in show competitions. After being inspired by some of your work and that of one of our club members, Mr Peter Watson, I have invested in some figures. But before I let myself loose on some of the resin in my stash, I choose an inexpensive but still one with great detail for the price plastic kit to break my duck in figure painting. I have to say I have really enjoyed myself with this subject and hope you think I have given it a reasonable bash - please be gentle:

IMG_2384_zpsj2ahxdzc.jpgIMG_2386_zpses5xzik4.jpgIMG_2388_zpsm1owfxdg.jpgIMG_2398_zpswegynzrg.jpgIMG_2399_zpsdsndk70l.jpgIMG_2393_zpsw7irl4ci.jpgIMG_2397_zpseo9nzp1e.jpgIMG_2392_zpsdbsvrats.jpgIMG_2385_zpsk5s2pqee.jpgIMG_2389_zpsdjyxqnpz.jpgIMG_2394_zpsm4n6xzhf.jpgIMG_2391_zpsi2o0aw87.jpgIMG_2396_zpsfsqbk3ln.jpg

• Like 14

Your German Machine Gunner has come out really well. Good shades and colours. The face looks particularly well done. Joe

Hey this looks fantastic, absolut real. I built this one years ago, but now when I see your's I ' ll put mine to the scrap box as soon as possible.

Great job.

Regards Andy

Brilliant ! You've really captured his war weary face very well and some incredible weathering - like the chipping on his helmet in particular :goodjob:

BillyD

A brilliant first figure BK :)

I was happy just to get some colour onto my first piece and stay within the lines but you've nailed this one with some nice shading and highlighting and the face is very well done, especially the 5 o'clock shadow. I love the chipping on the helmet but I suspect this is a skill you've carried over from AFV modelling maybe? Regardless, the effect is bang on the money :)

If I were to be really picky (and I mean really picky) I would say the coat looks a little glossy but that could be down to the photos.

A fantastic first piece my friend, something to be proud of :)

Thanks for all of your kind words guys. I used oils over acrylics and enamels, so a real multi media effort. For the chipping on the helmet, I used the old salt method, something I have never used before but would not be afraid to try it again; and the result was instantaneous as soon as the salt was washed off. You're not been picky Billy. I think if I'd photographed in natural light without a flash it may not have looked so glossy as it's not too bad in the "flesh". I have another "cheapo" for my next practice, the Tamiya 1/16 Japanese Navy Pilot, which is now primed and may make an appearance in the coming weeks.

Thanks again

Brian

• Like 2

Looking forward to it Brian :)

Me too! I'll second everybody else's comments :thumbsup:, and agree with Eludia about the glossy effect. As you said, pics taken in natural light should be much better.

I always struggle to get decent pics with artificial light, so here's my 2c worth of tip: I try to photograph the subject outside, but in a shadow area, so that the light is much more "even", and I use a grey or dark blue (according to the subject) piece of fabric as background (if you fancy seeing an example, here's the link)

Ciao

Very subtle indeed. You have bought out the detail in a very understated and effective way in my opinion. It's a shame that the greatcoat wasn't leather because the way the light has effected the finish it looks like a very expensive variety! :winkgrin:

Maybe a way forward for the Japanese pilot if he is wearing a flying jacket!

At any rate, I'm very impressed.

Thanks again guys, I now have some paint on my next figure and will continue to learn as I go and home my technique in both painting and weathering as well as the photography side.

Cheers

Brian

Great job on all aspects of this build mate that base with the natural edging has given the figure an added lift for this being your first figure it would not go amiss in any competition :goodjob::goodjob:

Beefy

For a first figure that's just a Perfect job all round.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the kind works gents, you've given me the courage to press on with my next victim.

Cheers

Brian

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...