Spitfire_zpsyovaeucw.jpg?t=1436212396

the Bad

Messerschmitt_zpsc8j3nosn.jpg?t=14362124

and the Ugly

Stuka_zpszhlrlkt8.jpg?t=1436212401

Not in this scheme of course.

This one:

StukaScheme_zpsp3lm1dwr.jpg

I'm in the final phase of a rather protracted but enjoyable build, and I’m away on holiday next week, so just putting my marker down for now as I will be fashionably late for the GB start. I will of course open a separate thread for each build.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Ugly in what respect? For the airplane itself, I've seen much more uglier planes. For the part of bringing fear to the civil citizens in the early years of war, I would call it very ugly with that horrible siren before the sound of the dropped bombs.

• Like 1

I am glad you chose the Stuka as the ugly one, not the Hurricane.

Heaven forbid...I would never do such a thing!

Well they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

Anyroad apologies for my lateness. Finally made a start on making a start and a brief update to get things moving.

THE GOOD

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MkIa

The kit and aircraft need no introduction. It will be an OOB. I will probably add the odd bit and bob of scratch here and there but nothing fancy.

Obligatory sprue shot and minimalist decal sheet. There does seem to be a fair amount of mould detritus mind:

SpitfireSprue_zps5iwbekwi.jpg

SpitfireSprue2_zpskablv9j9.jpg

Spitfirepit1_zpsqebmkgv7.jpg

The cockpit is infested with em. I don’t think an awful lot will be seen, but I’ll remove a few if only out of a matter of principle.

As you can see though there are some nice details moulded into the side walls.

Spitfirepit_zpsveysrxwf.jpg

There is potential to add plenty of detail, but I shall resist. I removed the cockpit bits and cleaned them up as they were a bit flashy. Drilled out the lighting holes. And checked the fit which is good.

Spitfirepit3_zpsoabfoclk.jpg

Next up complete the pit and add some belts, then on to proper modelling - fitting and gluing wings and stuff :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks on holiday and some domestics, I’ve managed to get something done. I made a harness from thin slivers of take-away foil, and the buckles from copper wire. Not much in the way of competition for Eduard, but with a lick of paint, and seen through the canopy, they’ll be okay. I also added a plate behind the seat.

SpitfireSeat_zpsialpdowu.jpg

To relieve the fiddly tedium, I indulged in…more fiddly tedium and drilled out the exhausts.

SpitfireExhaust_zpskktvwgtc.jpg

Applied HU78 to the pit - it seems there is even more debate on tinternet about the correct shade of cockpit green than there is about the correct FS grey shades. I did not think that was possible, glad to be humbled – as by all accounts it is the best compromise. Then painted a few details and applied a wash from Paynes Grey oil and turps.

Spitfirepit4_zpsremcszbe.jpg

Did the same for the wheel wells, but in retrospect there is no need.

SpitfireWing_zpsu60kp5vy.jpg

Finished the cockpit cradle and got that in place. The tanks were finished with Alclad Aluminium, seat back in 30yr old HU9 and the harness in HU94. I must admit the kit cockpit detail is very nice.

Okay I know there is some quality aftermarket stuff out there, but even straight OOB (notwithstanding my efforts) it comes up well. It presents the opportunity to add further scratch if you wish. I was tempted to cut out the hatch, and open up the canopy, but the latter is a little thick and would probably benefit from a vac-form job so the canopy will be closed.

Spitfirepit5_zpsoviqakql.jpg

Spitfirepit6_zpshfxrbvsu.jpg

Zipped up the fuselage. Went together well. Only a miniscule gap that was filled with a bead of gloop and sanded.

Spitfire1_zpsqvisn17r.jpg

Just glued the wings on. More pics later.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you folks.

With the wings on I finished off the airframe ready for primer. It barely needed any filler, but for a small amount to even out a slight step at the front, which was probably down to user error if anything, and a tad in front of the canopy. A little reinstatement of the odd panel line, and that was it.

SpitfireCanopy_zpso9yvlzqd.jpg

With that done I added a little gunsight from a piece of acetate to replace the kit offering (which was to be a crude piece of plastic painted silver). Can’t be putting the Spit into the air without a working gunsight can I…

SpitfireSight_zpspqctbec0.jpg

Canopy masked and in place.

Spitfire2_zpsqrfgcj5b.jpg

Finally a coat of Alclad primer. A couple of imperfections that required a minor touch of wet and dry here and there, but nothing more.

Spitfire3_zpssylcyvdt.jpg

At last a coat of proper paint – HU90 Beige Green, which despite being maligned for its blandness, I actually quite like.

Spitfire4_zpsetaj9g2m.jpg

Now for proper WWII camouflage: first a coat of HU green, and then blue worms and masking tape masking. On went the HU dark earth. At this point I’d discovered that I have a dodgy set of decals. Well I should say an incomplete set that had none of the stencils. I’ve contacted Airfix, but they are out of stock. So I bought another for the complete set. As many have remarked before, “one can’t have too many Spitfires”. I fancy doing that one in a night fighter scheme.

Spitfire5_zpsflfxp2u7.jpg

I know that a number of posters on here have had trouble with the decals for the gun muzzles. Not surprising, trying to get them to lie flat would be a pain so I thought I would mask them up, and give them a coat of red. Probably more of a faff but wanted to see how it would look.

SpitfireGun_zpstbbtphis.jpg

Here it is unmasked.

Spitfire6_zpsm9pben3d.jpg

The muzzles are not perfect but they are passable. They are small, but quite prominent, especially in contrast with the beige…but there again what doesn’t contrast with beige?

Spitfire9_zpsnupgbdlm.jpg

The blue worms have done their job. Not perfect, but nothing a few coats of Klear and matt varnish can’t hide put right.

Spitfire7_zpsrxveansg.jpg

Spitfire8_zpsz7wwnxnw.jpg

Now it actually looks like a Spitfire. I’ve been getting the other bits and bobs painted, and next up is a coat of Klear. Bye for now.

• Like 7

Quick update. Gave it a coat of Klear, applied the decals, then another coat of Klear. The decals went on really well. Needed a couple of applications of Micro Sol on the lumpy bits on the roundels, and the fuselage decals. Those panel lines are deep!

Spitfire10_zpsrv1knfst.jpg

Have used some grey pastel chalk for some gun smoke and exhaust.

Spitfire14_zpsqtoxzmwx.jpg

It is very shiny at the moment, but that will change. I will give it a panel line wash and use some pastels to weather it a little, then a coat of matt varnish.

Spitfire15_zps1yx65zy1.jpg

• Like 6

I gave the underside a greyish brownish wash using acrylic oils and turps.

Spitfire17_zps6uxv3poa.jpg

Topside got the same treatment but with a darker grey.

Spitfire16_zpsh1swbq3q.jpg

Then I used pastel chalks in an attempt to give it some tonal variation and fading, and a few streaks here and there.

Spitfire21_zpsvct3so8o.jpg

Probably got a bit carried away with the underside, but they did tend to get a bit ropey underneath, plus it’s hard work trying to make bland beige look interesting.

Spitfire22_zpsta1pwgxk.jpg

I added a few (well attempted) stone chips and worn paint effect on the wing. Finished off with a few light coats of Alclad Klear Kote Matte.

Spitfire18_zpsy9ykgh1r.jpg

It tends to desaturate the colours a little, but it is good stuff. I suppose the panel lines are a little dark, and I would prefer more contrast between the green and brown. But hey, you can’t have everything and I’m pleased with the result. It has a little character I feel.

Spitfire19_zpsk0hjuhwe.jpg

Remaining components sorted. The silver is Alclad aluminium, matt black prop with a little silver drybrush, and tyres Nato Black. Exhausts Humbrol Metal Cote gunmetal.

SpitfireBits_zpstq6peaan.jpg

Final assembly begins…

• Like 7

Thanks for the compliment Nigel. The only problem bringing anything to Telford would be carrying it around without getting anything busted. I’m not affiliated with any club – although I am an IPMS member – so I don’t think anyone would take too kindly if I just turned up at their stall and started putting models on display :winkgrin: But it would be nice to display a few builds some time.

Anyroad cracked on with the final assembly. Removed the masking from the canopy….and oh joy not! Grr now I know why folk use the Eduard masks! There’s always a blinkin’ sting in the tail with this modelling lark.

SpitfireCanopy1_zpsf9m6joak.jpg

Trusty old cocktail stick dipped in turps tidied it up enough.

SpitfireCanopy2_zpszzlxknig.jpg

I finished off the exhausts by dry brushing with a cotton bud as opposed with a brush. First with some enamel brass, then with enamel metallic blue. Then buffed them up. It gives it a little discoloured / tempered look which I feel is a bit more exhaust like than leaving them monotone gunmetal.

SpitfireExhaust1_zpswst1rbzx.jpg

I glued on all the remaining bits and bobs. Finished off by adding lights to the tail and fuselage using a pin gentleman's parts of silver then a dab of Klear (can hardly be seen). Then navigation lights – pin gentleman's parts of silver, then dab of clear red and clear green (can hardly be seen). A bit of silver and Klear for the mirror. And finally invisible smoke coloured thread for the aerial (yeh I know “invisible smoke coloured” is a contradiction in terms but that’s what it says on the label!)

Spitfire25_zpsrd6agp7n.jpg

Spitfire24_zpsgek0eiti.jpg

Spitfire28_zpsrn29opsb.jpg

Spitfire27_zpsbbawmln6.jpg

Spitfire26_zps2cqxobfx.jpg

Spitfire23_zpsljgtvdbp.jpg

Well that’s it. Must say – and it’s been said before - that this is a superb little kit. I’ll get some better piccies done and get this up in the gallery in a few days.

Apologies for not getting the Messerschmitt and Stuka done, but there is always another GB another day. My thanks to the hosts and organisers of the GB, and all its participants. Well done all round folk.

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 11

Those exhausts look great - bookmarked!

Thanks also for the tip on cleaning the canopy - wish I'd seen that earlier. Tamiya tape self-masked?

She's looking really nice - good job! :)

• Like 2

I agree with Ced, those exhausts look amazing.

I’m not affiliated with any club – although I am an IPMS member – so I don’t think anyone would take too kindly if I just turned up at their stall and started putting models on display :winkgrin:

I'm sure we could find some space on the Aberdeen club table if you want to bring some models to the show.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Those exhausts look great - bookmarked!

Thanks also for the tip on cleaning the canopy - wish I'd seen that earlier. Tamiya tape self-masked?

She's looking really nice - good job! :)

Tamiya tape self-masker :thumbsup2:

• Like 1