303 Squadron 1/72 Hurricane, Witold Urbanowicz

Good morning Mitch. Very nice progress. I like the harness idea - I'll be interested to see how it turns out. I've used thin strips of Tamiya masking tape before but it can be a bit of a faff at times - getting stuck to itself and things it shouldn't!

I use it on all my builds now - the Falkus Spitfire, 112 Sqn P40, Fulmar etc. I did jib on the Bf109E I'm doing in this GB - Airfix provide moulded ones.

• Like 1

Patrice, I think it will be interesting to compare notes! I am coming to the conclusion that there are many ways to do this, and whilst some of them might be considered "simple", none are actually easy...

Oh well!

Good morning Mitch

I agree with you it is not as easy as I thought in the beginning , I will work more seriously after I finish the 2 Airfix Spits I am currently building .... I still don't understand why Airfix didn't produced a metal wing Hurricane at the same time as their rag wing one ..

Patrice

• Like 2

Good morning Mitch

I agree with you it is not as easy as I thought in the beginning , I will work more seriously after I finish the 2 Airfix Spits I am currently building .... I still don't understand why Airfix didn't produced a metal wing Hurricane at the same time as their rag wing one ..

Patrice

A little bit of thought could have put the three wing components on one sprue: a set for rag wing, a set for metal wing, or do 12-gun and cannon wings. Likewise the fuselage and they could pop a MKII. The lower fuselage is already separate and could be engineered for various marks or for a hook-equipped Sea Hurricane. They could almost flood the market with every variant, but instead we get a rag wing and the story ends. It could almost be one of those stereotypical British industry "so near and yet so far" stories.

• Like 1

A little bit of thought could have put the three wing components on one sprue: a set for rag wing, a set for metal wing, or do 12-gun and cannon wings. Likewise the fuselage and they could pop a MKII. The lower fuselage is already separate and could be engineered for various marks or for a hook-equipped Sea Hurricane. They could almost flood the market with every variant, but instead we get a rag wing and the story ends. It could almost be one of those stereotypical British industry "so near and yet so far" stories.

but where's the fun in that!!?

Rob

• Like 1

OK, enough bellyaching, get building!

Interior (more or less) done. I sprayed the green, handpainted the silver and used an oil wash. Fabric is Vallejo acrylic khaki. I'll pick out some bits and pieces in brighter colours, paint on some buckles and fit the inevitable instrument decal, and we're good to go. Sutton harness looks OK to me.

303hurri_15_zpsbppqihgt.jpg

GET MOVING YOU HORRIBLE MEN! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE'S A WAR ON?!

With the main colours blocked in, I used an oil wash to shade these. Once that's dry I'll pick out some highlights by hand. I don't find drybrushing looks quite right most of the time. The it'll be faces and hands and we're done!

303hurri_16_zpsyvstsyua.jpg

• Like 3

OK, enough bellyaching, get building!

Interior (more or less) done. I sprayed the green, handpainted the silver and used an oil wash. Fabric is Vallejo acrylic khaki. I'll pick out some bits and pieces in brighter colours, paint on some buckles and fit the inevitable instrument decal, and we're good to go. Sutton harness looks OK to me.

To be in the topic or not to be...

Nice progress! But this teasing Hawk 75A drawing get me curious... Is it a promise for the future? If so it is a very interesting subject!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

To be in the topic or not to be...

Nice progress! But this teasing Hawk 75A drawing get me curious... Is it a promise for the future? If so it is a very interesting subject!

Cheers,

AaCee

AaCee, I bought a Smer Hawk 75 - repop of the old Heller kit. Dimensionally it isn't bad compared to plans in D&S and another book I picked up, except for the tailfin and rudder, which is in hand. The kicker is it's got a single row engine in a doublerow fuselage! I've done some scratching up of cockpit, rescribes of panel lines etc, and come up with some inventive ways of replacing the kit undercarriage with spares and leftovers from a P40. All of this skirts the issue of horrible warping of the wings!

AaCee, I bought a Smer Hawk 75 - repop of the old Heller kit. Dimensionally it isn't bad compared to plans in D&S and another book I picked up, except for the tailfin and rudder, which is in hand. The kicker is it's got a single row engine in a doublerow fuselage! I've done some scratching up of cockpit, rescribes of panel lines etc, and come up with some inventive ways of replacing the kit undercarriage with spares and leftovers from a P40. All of this skirts the issue of horrible warping of the wings!

Hi Mitch!

/*Off topic*/

Heller Hawk 75A, ouch! You are more gorgeous than I! I would say it is on par with the Heller Caudron. If I recall correct it was a very simple kit and tail surfaces are much too small. This was compensated with too big wheels. And the fuselage was some sort of mixture between the Cyclone and Twin Wasp variants. But this is one types sorely lacking of the best kit!

Good luck with your Curtiss! Btw - which livery?

/*Off topic*/

Cheers

AaCee

• Like 1

Hi Mitch!

/*Off topic*/

Heller Hawk 75A, ouch! You are more gorgeous than I! I would say it is on par with the Heller Caudron. If I recall correct it was a very simple kit and tail surfaces are much too small. This was compensated with too big wheels. And the fuselage was some sort of mixture between the Cyclone and Twin Wasp variants. But this is one types sorely lacking of the best kit!

Good luck with your Curtiss! Btw - which livery?

/*Off topic*/

Cheers

AaCee

Oh it has its problems! I can fix the tailplane and rudder issues - tedious but not too difficult, and the Airfix P40 will provide undercarriage bits!

The plan is for it to end up in the markings of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, like my Dewoitine D510!

Cockpit details completed, I closed up the fuselage, which went off quite well.

303hurri_17_zpsvpwloupo.jpg

And I've started scribing the panel lines.... So far, so good, I think! I only bodged one of them and will have to re-fill it... The photo-etched razor saw blades are a great tool for this.

303hurri_18_zpssas4cmgr.jpg

• Like 6

I've moved the figures on a bit. The flesh areas have been given a base coat of Vallejo Beige Red, shaded with burnt umber as a wash.

303hurri_19_zpsec5dyqqf.jpg

The next stage is Vallejo Base Flesh, leaving deep shading from the brown and intermediate shadow from the Beige Red.

303hurri_20_zps3mqmbpgb.jpg

The top highlight is a mix of Base Flesh and Light Flesh:

303hurri_21_zpsupp9cuu4.jpg

Finally, a touch of reddish mix for cheeks and lips. I added some light highlights to uniform and equipment,which gives enough contrast on straps, collars and so on. At normal viewing range, the lack of specifically painted eyes, fingernails, buttons and buckles isn't a problem. If I was doing these as a "six inch view" project, I might, but as a "two foot view" they're OK.

303hurri_22_zpsftbklwg9.jpg

Re-scribing the underside of the wing has gone OK, and I've got the landing lights cut in.

GEDC2374_zpsm6wd5euj.jpg

The upper wing is a much more difficult job: far more, more closely spaced lines. If you try this, an issue to watch is that if you botch a line and fill it, the filler, which is softer than the plastic, can "grab" the tool so you re-scribe it wrong again! Ask me how I know...

GEDC2375_zpszjz5nqra.jpg

• Like 4

Your doing sterling work here. I think my fear of filling and sanding vs chopping with a bit (hopefully) of sanding is what will make my decision for me.

The fellas look the business great use of washes! Let us not forget they are 1/72 size humans! (I am aware they are not alive.... i'm not weird I know they only come alive at night!)

Rob

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Crikey, it's been a long time since I've done a post on this build!

I've had several goes at scribing the weapon access panels, and haven't had any real success. So having filled the mistakes again, I took a different approach. I reprinted the drawings I had been using onto some pieces of clear decal film, to give me accurate templates fixed into place.

303hurri_23_zps8mhty1bi.jpg

With the decals in place, I was able to use them as the guide for scribing the panel lines accurately.

303hurri_24_zpsajamwz4s.jpg

And here's the results. The success of the process won't be completely clear until after painting and weathering is done, but I'm hopeful it will look OK.

303hurri_25_zpsfps8az0c.jpg

So, having done this, I fitted the wings. I don't know what I've managed to do to her, but an hour's fiddling and fettling and this was the best I could achive on the wing to fuselage join. I feel milliput coming on...

303hurri_26_zpsm2xqniiv.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work on the gunbays Mitch, the decal paper worked rather well.

I'm sure you'll sort out that ill fit easy enough,

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I added a gunsight, scratched up from sprue and sheet:

303hurri_28_zpsoo6nfkaz.jpg

In the radiator, I added the struts at the back that strengthen the rear section, and the single vertical bar at the front (obviously not visible here!). Ready for the canopy and a primer coat!

303hurri_27_zpslh5phdyn.jpg

• Like 3

Just caught up with this and it's looking very good so far!

You just know that Airfix will now bring out a tin-wing mk.I..........

Trevor

If this is what it takes I'm happy to do it! I need enough extra tin-wing Hurris to make it worth my while!

• Like 1

I brushpainted the bit of the doghouse that sits under the canopy and fitted the glazing. I then masked up and primed her, then shot a coat of Sky after first doing the undercarriage wells with silver. At this point I found the wing roots needed a LOT more work!

303hurri_29_zpsy9vsz1b9.jpg

• Like 4