Bf109E-3, 3/JG52 Yellow 15 - Uffz. Karl Wolff **PHOTO UPDATE**

For my second entry I will be using the Airfix E-4 kit and decals from Hannants 70th Anniversary sheet. As per my Spitfire post I will be late starting but will post sprue shots before I do.

Box and decal shots, the option I plan to build is at the bottom of the sheet.

CIMG3345_zpscvpatklh.jpg

CIMG3344_zpslamlngq0.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

As per my Spitfire for this GB, here are the promised sprue shots for this build.

CIMG3397_zpsem3cx8nl.jpg

Along with the extra parts I plan to use.

CIMG3399_zpshy0zqsce.jpg

Using this for some reference material.

CIMG3400_zps8o5stf6d.jpg

I'm really looking forward to starting this now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have finally made a start on my second build and have been able to get some RLM02 on the cockpit parts and fuselage sides using my dwindling stock of Polly Scale paint, I still have to detail the side walls. I added the Yahu instrument panel after removing the raised detail on the kit part and agree with bbudde, these are a nice enhancement and come pre-painted and assembled. Whilst some would question the value for money, for those worried about working with pre-painted etch it offers a simple way of using this medium. I have also painted the Quickboost seat and this now needs a wash over it and then matt coat to finish it off.

CIMG3466_zps1awyxwer.jpg

CIMG3464_zpste6wszlz.jpg

CIMG3465_zps2zv6dmwd.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 7

The Quickboost seat looks real nice.

I struggled drilling the seat in order to thread some PE seat belts I had in stock. If I had known the QB seat existed....

And the Yahu IP really looks the part.

This is really going to look nice! Visiting UK friends just arrived, along with the same Xtradecal sheet you are using...

What replacement canopy are you using?

Good show so far

JR

• Like 1

The Quickboost seat looks real nice.

I struggled drilling the seat in order to thread some PE seat belts I had in stock. If I had known the QB seat existed....

And the Yahu IP really looks the part.

This is really going to look nice! Visiting UK friends just arrived, along with the same Xtradecal sheet you are using...

What replacement canopy are you using?

Good show so far

JR

Glad that you like it Jean. The Yahu panels are a nice bit of kit and ideal if you only want to improve the instrument panel. It doesn't show up too well in the photos but the dials are coated with a glossy surface so that it looks as though the glass is in there.

I am pleased with the way that the Quickboost seat has turned out and as I have said this just needs a wash over it now.

For the canopy I have decided to have a look at a Rob Taurus vacform for the E3 which is actually for the Tamiya kit. It's a shame that Airfix didn't do the E3 version because that in the kit is nice and clear. If the vacform proves unsuitable I will have to try and modify the kit item. As far as I can see, it will mean rounding over the top edges of the centre section and dropping the frame down a little.

I hope you enjoy your stay in the UK.

For the canopy I have decided to have a look at a Rob Taurus vacform for the E3 which is actually for the Tamiya kit. It's a shame that Airfix didn't do the E3 version because that in the kit is nice and clear. If the vacform proves unsuitable I will have to try and modify the kit item. As far as I can see, it will mean rounding over the top edges of the centre section and dropping the frame down a little.

I hope you enjoy your stay in the UK.

Hi Nimrod,

let me know how the RT canopy fits, as I want to do a E-1 and E-3 as well. More embarrassingly, I have slightly bent the top of the rear canopy section when removing it from the clear sprue.... and I cannot straighten it... damn! I have therefore cannibalised the canopy from my second box, but I need a E-3 canopy to save the day, or I shall keep chasing my tail!

Why is life so complicated?

Re the UK, I wish I were there right now (if only to buy another box of 109!). But I am unfortunately still here, and a couple of British friends are enjoying life in the middle of nowhere with us.

Keep having fun!

JR.

• Like 1

Re the UK, I wish I were there right now (if only to buy another box of 109!). But I am unfortunately still here, and a couple of British friends are enjoying life in the middle of nowhere with us.

Keep having fun!

JR.

Sorry Jean, I misunderstood your previous post I thought you were visiting friends in the UK. I will keep you posted on the RT canopy and if it works out ok I could let you have the canopy parts from my kit if that would help you.

Hi John,

I'm thinking a similar solution with the Squadron* vac-form E3 canopy which (it is claimed) fits the old Airfix, the Heller and the Matchbox kits. I'm still puzzled as to why Airfix didn't just add it as a 'spare' to the clear parts for the new kit, it would have given us a huge variety of options for earlier 'E' model 109s...

Cheers,

Stew

* Currently out of stock, sorry

• Like 2

I'd looked at the Squadron set too Stew - but then, like you, noticed that it was out of stock so went with the RT one, just hoping that it works out OK.

I can't remember if Airfix supplied earlier canopy versions in their old boxing. I made an E4 and a Spitfire from older kits that I had a few years back, they were for my wife to use as writing prizes with one of her classes. I put the spares that I didn't use in a 'safe place' - I am sure that there was a canopy amongst the bits. Let's just say that the 'safe place' is so 'safe' that I haven't discovered again......YET. I'll probably get the darn thing finished and then stumble across them when I am looking for something else.

No, save your energy John, the old Airfix 109 had the later canopy (and it wasn't a very good fit for the original kit either!).

Hope the Rob Taurus canopy works okay - if it doesn't fit very well, perhaps you could use the vacform centre section with the Airfix front and rear parts and display it open...?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Sorry Jean, I misunderstood your previous post I thought you were visiting friends in the UK. I will keep you posted on the RT canopy and if it works out ok I could let you have the canopy parts from my kit if that would help you.

Hi Nimrod,

thank you for your kind offer!

You said higher up in that thread that if the RT canopy does not fit, you may try and work on the kit part to make it look like a E-3 canopy.

I have never seen an Airfix canopy as thin and delicate as the one in this kit. It is arguably the best Airfix canopy I have ever seen in term of realistic thickness.

But you did mention rounding off the edges, etc. to change it into an E-3 canopy, and I am not sure there is enough plastic for this...

Whatever, I am truly impressed that you even considered this corrective work!

I will keep my fingers crossed about the RT canopy fitting the model.

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

Good choise to use the Quickboost seat ,looks fantastic . I much prefere them to p/e aspecially those pre painter ones.

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, I got a wash on the seat last night, I may just give this and the cockpit parts a dry brush with some light grey enamel. Then I can matt everything down before closing the fuselage up.

I have now finished the cockpit build. Most of the work was already done, but I still had to add the gunsight and then this morning I gave everything a dry-brush with some Light Grey enamel. Late this afternoon I was able to get a coat of Winsor & Newton Matt Acrylic Varnish over everything, then I fitted the seat and that brought this stage of the build to an end. The next job will be the join up the fuselage halves, the wings are together and just need cleaning up before the two sub assemblies are brought together.

CIMG3483_zpszupsv3pf.jpg

CIMG3482_zpsgcuu5w3x.jpg

• Like 6

Hi peeps, as you can see the fuselage halves have been glued together and the wing fit checked, this just need a little tweak to get a better fit. The Rob Taurus replacement canopy arrived last Thursday and I was able to get it trimmed up over the weekend. Because this is made to fit the Tamiya kit it is a fraction too wide though I should be able to get it to fit with a gentle squeeze. There will be a little bit more trimming needed to get the centre section to fit but I will probably have this in the open position when I finally fit it, so as long as this is somewhere near then it will be close enough for me. I then need to come up with a solution for fixing it in place, I will probably glue one side flush with the fuselage first and then fix the opposite side when this has dried. Don't know whether to go with my usual Formula 560 canopy glue or try some odourless CA for this though.

16a95e57-8962-4322-93d9-af2cc600c4bc_zps

CIMG3485_zps6sewfhin.jpg

CIMG3486_zpsgbplqcwi.jpg

• Like 2

This is taking shape John.

It sure will end up a beauty.

Is the RT canopy vacform? And are the front and last section of said canopy you tacked to the fuselage the Airfix ones or the RT?

Have fun trimming!

JR

• Like 1