Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a - 66 Squadron September 1940: **PHOTO UPDATE**

great work, did you use any references to put the new code on?

Stu,

The reference I used was in the following link provided by Troy in post #10 Spitfire R6800 LZ-N if you scroll through the photos the last one shows a shot of the stbd side and I used this to determine the position of the N. I also had to assume that the R6800 positions and the LZ spacing were both correct, this being so the squadron code would lie over the reg no - not 100% I know, but the best available to me at the time. HTH

I got two coats of matt varnish on this yesterday and added the final details this morning so I am calling the aircraft part of this build done. I still need to do some work to organise displaying it, but because the 109 is now going to feature alongside it I need to crack on with that build. Hopefully going to make it.

IMG_4327_zps6elwgc0w.jpg

IMG_4326_zpspahrb9dz.jpg

IMG_4325_zpsfhptxmes.jpg

IMG_4324_zpsijz4ipz3.jpg

IMG_4304_zpsgnnwderl.jpg

IMG_4329_zps630v9r4h.jpg

I would just like to add my thanks to those of you who have stayed with this build and for all the help and support given. :thanks:

• Like 10

Hi John,

your Spit is looking really smart!

Great build and original scheme. Congrats through and through!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was outside earlier trying to get some sharper images and whilst they are a bit better, I am still not happy. I am having some issues with the depth of field - oh how I wish I had kept my OM2. Any advice would be welcome.

Anyway here they are.

IMG_4534_zpskfpxv7mg.jpg

IMG_4529_zps51lbzjxu.jpg

IMG_4531_zpsf1vl3cnw.jpg

IMG_4532_zpscov8ygb9.jpg

• Like 2

Another excellent build John. Were you ever a jeweler or watchmaker? Everything is so clean and precise.

I wish Cookie. I worked in the aircraft industry and during my first year as an apprentice I had to make my own toolbox and all of its contents eg scribing block, die holders, tap wrenches, vee-blocks etc. I came out of my time five years later as a Turner/Grinder and this required parts to be produced to very close tolerances, so I guess that is where the precision has come from. The cleanliness bit comes from having to keep parts and work areas clean to avoid FOD risk and I have no doubt that if I was ever analysed there would be a smattering of OCD in there. :lol:

• Like 2