Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a - 66 Squadron September 1940: **PHOTO UPDATE**

As my first entry for the GB I plan to build R6800 which was the aircraft flown by Squadron Leader Rupert Leigh. No special reason for this other than the fact that Leigh is my family name - no immediate relation.

Anyway here is a shot of the kit box and decal sheet I will post sprue shots when I eventually make a start.

CIMG3343_zpsex1zvbuy.jpg

CIMG3342_zpsu0xkvred.jpg

I am going to be a couple of weeks late starting because I have to wrap some other builds up first, but I think there is enough time to complete it.

• Like 11

Look forwards to it, going to do this one myself again (having made a first crack once the xtradecal set came out), as I'm a gravesend lad, in fact I live a stonethrow from the grave of PO Hugh Reilley who was killed flying R6800 in October

• Like 1

Mark,

Thanks for posting the photos. I am quite keen to portray the role of ground crew during the battle and these have given me the inspiration for a mini diorama. It's also interesting to see the attitude of the tail-wheel in the middle photo.

I do like to venture into 1/72nd and 1/48th scale every now and then mate. The main reason for 1/144th is due to space limitations, that and the fact that Mrs Nimrod won't let me hang them from the bedroom ceiling. Women can be damned unreasonable at times. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Troy

Thanks for the links, it was good of you to post them here and they will be very useful. Like the other builder I plan to do a small diorama based on the second and third photos in post #2 above.

I am about ready to make a start on my two builds, so as promised here are the sprue shots for this one.

CIMG3403_zpsywa9dbqf.jpg

Along with some additional parts that I plan to use, I still need to source some figures that have heads wearing tin-hats.

CIMG3402_zpsnxbwxrgo.jpg

I will also use this for some reference material.

CIMG3401_zpssybgitrr.jpg

Who knows maybe these builds will give me the necessary KUTA to finish this too.

CIMG3404_zps6beodnrm.jpg

• Like 2

Got a little work done on this earlier today, but first here's a little bit of background.

As I mentioned in the original post the main reason for wanting to model this aircraft is because Leigh is my family name. Whilst not a direct relative of Squadron Leader Rupert Leigh who knows at some point, way back in the annals of time, our family trees could well converge. Nah not even Rupert 'Lucky' Leigh could be that unlucky. :D

From a little research on the internet I have discovered that Squadron Leader Rupert Leigh was shot down twice whilst serving with 66 Squadron during the Battle of Britain.

The first time was on the 11th July 1940 when the squadron was based at Coltishall. He was flying in N3182, a Spitfire Mk.1, which was hit in the oil tank by return fire from a Do.17 - 10miles SW of Great Yarmouth. Unhurt, he was able to return to base.

The second occasion was on the 13th October when flying in X4479. He was hit whilst in action against 109’s over Maidstone, force landing around Burham and escaping safely.

Spitfire Mk.1a 6800 (LZ-N) arrived with 66 Sqn on the 27th July 1940 and was shot down on the 17th October 1940 by a 109 piloted by Werner Molders over Westerham, Kent. The aircraft crashed at Crockham Hill and was burnt out. The Canadian pilot, P/O Hugh William Reilley, was buried with full RAF honours at Gravesend cemetery. http://hughwreilley.blogspot.co.uk/

Anyway back to the business in hand, I have cleaned up some of the cockpit parts and thinned the instrument panel a little to accommodate the Yahu etch instrument panel. I also did a little thinning around the radiator opening but this doesn't show up too well in the photo.

CIMG3415_zpsmg0kcjzi.jpg

CIMG3416_zpslwi6f9cv.jpg

I added the seat frame to one half of the fuselage and then had a test fit of the major parts. It is the first time I have put this kit together and it's a little gem, it doesn't look as though there are any nasties lurking so should be a fairly easy build.

CIMG3414_zpsjnnhjsgo.jpg

CIMG3419_zpszjg5cuhi.jpg

• Like 5

If you can't find any RAF ground crew wearing helmets, how about swapping heads with a British infantry set? Of course you'll need blokes wearing plain helmets (i.e. without netting).

Thanks Beard, that's the way I was thinking of going. I just have to decide whether to use a CMK set or stick with Airfix. Using the Airfix set would mean that the plastic would be the same and that should make them easier to glue together, hopefully.

Edit

Having just checked the price of CMK figures, it will be Airfix. I can't justify paying £8+ for three figures to then cut the heads off.

I think that I have just about finished the instrument panel. I removed the lump from the top of the gunsight and replaced this with a couple of scraps of etch and a small piece of plastic from a blister pack. It's not totally accurate because I have clipped the corners a little too much but it looks better than the kit offering.

CIMG3425_zps7suwlfwq.jpg

Next job is some work on the seat then I can see how things go together.

• Like 5

I like that John, a lot! :)

Thanks Ced. I had to do a bit of trimming to get the Yahu etch to fit and it isn't quite there, but that is because it is not made to fit this kit so a compromise was the order of the day. I'm sure once everything is closed up and the canopy goes on it will look fine.

• Like 1