1/72 - Percival Provost T.Mk.1 by S&M Models - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Richard Humm said:

AMP and Mikro-Mir (who I think were producing the kits for Mel) have issued variants of the S&M Canberra, so they might be able to use the Provost mould.

I think it depends on the contractor agreement terms between Micromir and S&M. Maybe Micromir was able to market certain variants of Canberra themselves but that might be not the case for Provost or Sycamore. 

Anyway molds are likely retained in Ukraine and I'm sure would eventually be reused by Micromir or by someone else who could acquire right to use the molds. 

13 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I think it depends on the contractor agreement terms between Micromir and S&M

Indeed it does, and (I would imagine) whatever Mel's estate is required to compensate either company for work already completed.  @Dennis_C: Do you have any contacts at either company?  I was trying to reach AMP about whatever might have happened to the 1/72 BAe 748 project.

I had two Provost's. One is bult and the other in my stash somewhere. It's the Civilian one with reg G-AWPH in red black scheme. 

Sorely miss Mel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Knowing Mel it was probably a gentleman's agreement, they produced 1000 bags kits and he released them. Likely the Provost will appear under MikroMir/AMP if they think there is a market for them. I undestood from Mel that the mould did not last and a new one would need to be produced.

Colin        

5 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Likely the Provost will appear under MikroMir/AMP if they think there is a market for them.

I hope so.

Being the only kit of the Provost in any numbers, the old Matchbox kit is still popular. And the 2012 CMR kit is quite pricey second hand.

Edited by Johnson
Not reading previous post carefully enough!

3 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Knowing Mel it was probably a gentleman's agreement, they produced 1000 bags kits and he released them. Likely the Provost will appear under MikroMir/AMP if they think there is a market for them. I undestood from Mel that the mould did not last and a new one would need to be produced.

Colin        

Agree that given these were short run kits, the molds are possibly not usable anymore. In that case 3D CAD drawings is what represents value. And here we have another question - who retains CADs?

47 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I'm thinking of value in terms of modelling heritage. Sorry if I used a wrong word. Work done (molds, cads, decal set researches, etc.) should not disappear and it's great if it stays with modelling community (producers, enthusiasts, modellers etc.).

Just hope that someone will be able to release S&M kits (issued and not issued too) again which would be in my view a great contribution to Mel's heritage. 

• Like 2

I understand the CAD belonged to MikroMir, Mel only had the first production run, so they can re-issue the kit if they want to. Mel told me the initial Canberra B.2/T.4 mould lasted for 1000 kits, he asked MikroMir for a quote to do another run as it had sold so well. there was a misunderstanding and they went ahead with and moulded kits which he didn't agree to buy. That is why the T.19 was released by AMP using the same CAD, the unwanted plastic parts he didn't want with a new nose added. Mel later ordered the B.6 which was redesigned.   

The Provost was a very nice kit, hope it does re-appear at some point.     

Colin  

• Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Percival Provost T.Mk.1 by S&M Models - released - new boxing by Sword ?
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Percival Provost T.Mk.1 by S&M Models - released