Hurricanes

Looking good Sean, your filler sounds a nice concoction.

That concoction might look nice, but it smells lethal. :zombie: Leave the lid off for more than a minute, and you'd be high as a kite.

I like it... :wicked:

Bit mad scientist with the filler, will be good to see how you do it.

I have always been interested in this kit, but put off by its age.

Rob

Rob, if you like old kits, it's a nice simple kit, but I'd try and get one from the BoB Experience set, it's far nicer.

Good to see another underway even if it's going to take most of that jar of filler concoction to make it look okay! ;-)

Lucky enough it only took a bit :

6dca9d05-d7cf-47ed-a04f-f5d57fca90ec_zps

It comes off fairly easy with a decent file and smooths out very nice with Tamiya sand paper. Well it did on the Meteor, so I

would expect the same on this... :pray:

Before this though, it took the heavy duty clamps to get wings and fuselage together:

DSCF4633_zpsoqzqtpqp.jpg

I use these as a last resort, they're very strong, but they were needed for this.

Tomorrow there shall be lots of sanding on this kit. I wonder if I should have shifted the stash for the V.C. boxing....hmmmm...

Sean

• Like 9

Glad it didn't take too much filler! And you can tell something about the fit of a kit when it takes heavy duty clamps to get parts together! Looking good though! Well done Sean.

• Like 1

A small update. Well my filler worked better than expected on the gaps, and after a bit of sanding

with a heavy duty nail file and some Tamiya paper for the smoothing, I was happy enough to

apply a basic undercoat:

Pre paint

DSCF4648_zpsetdo3ryx.jpg?t=1440536685

After paint:

DSCF4657_zps2yz94uls.jpg?t=1440536619

You can just see where the line of the gap was, it's a bit darker than the rest of the wing.

There's a slight bit of work to do on the leading edge near the fuselage, but the Vallejo will suffice there.

Also, you may notice I've separated the elevators from the tail planes. I figured I'd try a couple of different things

on this build, just for a bit of variety.

I'm also calling the other two finished. I used the W&N matt varnish on these for the first time. Wasn't too sure at first,

but after a couple of days in the drying box, I'm quite happy at the result, although they might get an extra go as I think I've

missed a couple of small bits:

DSCF4674_zps9qbmypes.jpg?t=1440536733

Hurricane Mk 1 L1764 US-P No 56 Sq, flown by P/O M.H.C.Maxwell, On the 30th of September 1940 he crash landed his Hurricane I (L1764) on Chesil Beach after being bounced by Bf 109's at 17:00hrs.

(Having done some research on this , I believe this to be correct, and this aircraft was not serial N2522)

Thanks to Troy for his input on this.

DSCF4664_zpsptdwt9ru.jpg?t=1440536779

Hurricane Mk I, L1592 KW-Z, No 615 Sq, flown by P/O D.J.Looker. He was wounded on the 18th of August 1940 at 14:00hrs in a Hurricane I (L1592). He was in combat with a Bf 109 near Sevenoaks in Kent and he was also shot at by the airfield defences at Croydon.

I shall add photos to the gallery tomorrow,

Sean

• Like 10

Cheers fellas, one slight problem. I have 'lost' the serial on KW-Z, as can be seen in the above photo. :rant:

How or where I do not know. :shrug:

So if you know anyone with a spare serial..........

Am I allowed to sat bugger!! :rant:

Only one made it to the gallery... :confused:

Sean, slightly miffed..... :rant:

........but the one in the gallery is mighty fine!! :thumbsup:

As to the serial number........carpet monster?

Cheers Stix. Carpet monster? No I don't think so, more likely my big fat thumb while lifting off the bench before it had set.

There's always something......... :confused:

Hi Sean,

you're welcome to my serial number, PM me your details and I'll bung it in the post.

John.

John, you're a star, details on route... :worthy:

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to johnd, I've been able to finally call this one finished. The new Airfix Hurricane

using the kit, (and one of john's :thumbsup: ) decals. I like this kit a lot, the difference between this

and the older one I'm still working on is quite staggering really, especially in the level of detail.

There's a cockpit for a start!

hur13_zpsx7ucc7p2.jpg

I've also managed to get a bit more done on the final Hurricane, mainly paint, and as it sits now it has two coats topside.

DSCF4732_zpsgimkci9c.jpg

The colours look pretty solid in the pic, but I can see where another coat should make things more even.

Hopefully, more shall be done during the coming week,

Once again, thanks johnd :worthy:

Sean

• Like 9

That looks excellent Sean and I like the base on this one too. A great way to show it off! I'm looking forward to having a go at one of these new Hurricanes but it won't be until the Hurricane GB early next year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That looks excellent Sean and I like the base on this one too. A great way to show it off! I'm looking forward to having a go at one of these new Hurricanes but it won't be until the Hurricane GB early next year.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, I must admit, I've nicked the base from the Spitfire build from a couple of years ago during my Spitfire Summer,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941622-my-spitfire-summer-pt-2/?view=findpost&p=1362889&hl=%2Bspitfire+%2Bsummer

but I quite like the Hurricane on it.

Very very nice work sean!

Rob

Thanks Rob, :thumbsup:

Just a wee bit done, another coat of brown applied while the Spitfires were getting paint,

DSCF4740_zpsshqpsgrv.jpg

Getting there, slowly but surely,

Sean

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

And last but not least, the final installment to my Battle of Britain GB. Airfix's venerable Hurricane of a certain vintage. Not as detailed as

the newer rag wing, but I like it all the same. Other than the issue with the upper wing roundels not settling, everything was pretty

straight forward, although the decals have since settled a bit more since application, perhaps some Micro-sol for these as well.

DSCF4809_zpsl6mcyktt.jpg?t=1446235697

DSCF4811_zpswqzyavlm.jpg?t=1446235697

I'd like to say thanks to those that took an interest in my builds, it's well to say there's nothing on the telly to watch,

to Troy and johnd for their assistance when needed, and to our hosts, (and Mish).

Sorry for not being more involved this past month, but when the work is there it has to be done. More work means more money means more kits!

I've kept an eye in using the phone, but it's not really the same.

And .....whens the next one??

Cheers,

Sean

I'd gone through the gallery before adding my stuff, it's been some GB, fantastic builds all round.( and I've run out of likes.)

• Like 3

Brush paint RAF camo schemes is probably much more easier than spray it on. Like your Spitfires and 109s, your Hurricane builds are very nice and the collection of BoB aircrafts are an impressive sight.

Brush paint RAF camo schemes is probably much more easier than spray it on. Like your Spitfires and 109s, your Hurricane builds are very nice and the collection of BoB aircrafts are an impressive sight.

Hi Bernd, as someone stuck in his ways brush is pretty much all I know. I know the whole lot take up quite a bit of room.

Very nice Sean, great finish and right up to the line! :)

Cheers Ced, there's nothing like a tight finish, :coolio:

You built far to many aircraft you nutter....

Cheers Rob, I think the next GB I take part in will only have one entry...........maybe

Absolutely brilliant Sean. Well done for getting so many completed! :thumbsup:

Tanks Stix, it helped most we're the same colours!

Sean