Old School Hurricane Mk 1 - UPDATE 18/10/15 FINISHED

Now that's looking the business. Looks like the plastic rod supports it okay. Great stuff!

Thanks Stix, the plastic rod is 5mm which supports the weight of the model well. I'm just wondering if the height is too much. The size of the base will be critical for balance on the finished model. I remember some of my old Airfix models toppling off their stands dependant on the size of the kit.

Great progress Greg,looking good.

Cheers Steve, i've commenced work on my 109 too, and once the camera battery is recharged i'll be posting on that one as well.

Thanks Stix, the plastic rod is 5mm which supports the weight of the model well. I'm just wondering if the height is too much. The size of the base will be critical for balance on the finished model. I remember some of my old Airfix models toppling off their stands dependant on the size of the kit.

Hi Greg. It might be worth you having a look at the base Kallisti made for his 1/48 Typhoon in the D-Day GB: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961867-gallery/?p=1669214

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Great looking old school Hurricane Greg. It's going to look good on the stand. Joe

• Like 1

Hi Greg. It might be worth you having a look at the base Kallisti made for his 1/48 Typhoon in the D-Day GB: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961867-gallery/?p=1669214

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix, thanks for that link. Great base for the Typhoon. Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Looking good Greg, I got 4 mm not sure if that will hold.

Thanks Ozzy. It will depend on how long you make the rod whether it will take the weight i guess. The 5mm is big enough for the Hurri.

Progress looking good, Gregor, you are on a good way, dihedral and the seams look good from here.

Thanks Bernd. Thats good to know as looking at it from different angels for too long makes me question it a t times. The paint will determine whether i've hidden the seams.

Great looking old school Hurricane Greg. It's going to look good on the stand. Joe

Cheers Joe!

• Like 1

I'm looking at starting painting the main airframe. Accordingly i have turned my mind to the decal options. My first thought from the AM sheet i'm using was the 306 Polish Sqdrn example. A bit of googleing however has shown that this is not going to meet the criteria for the GB. According to the info i found on the net 306 only became operational in November 1940 so the example on the sheet is incorrect. Instead i'm going with option 1 which is Albert Lewis's Hurricane when he was in 85 squadron. Lewis was a BoF veteran and added 9 more to his tally during the BoB before being shot down and badly wounded in September 1940. The only problem i have with this option is the underside colour, which appears to be a light Azur blue according to the decal sheet instructions. Anybody have knowledge of what this tone actually is? Its like a cross between duck egg blue and sky. Cheers Greg.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update, i've not been idle! Main colours have now been applied albeit there some touch ups needed in places. For the undersides i've went with Duck Egg Blue, Humbrol Matt 23, which is an enamel paint not my usual acrylic. It does not match the illustration in the decal sheet but i think that their Sky Blue looks too dark anyway. Let me know what you think. The canopy is the kit part sawed off so i can apply the squadron sliding section in an open position. The vac canopy didn't have the rear view mirror, hence the use of the kit part. I plan to apply Klear and decal next, and this is a critical part of any of my builds and the stage where i'm in danger of making a botch job!! Fingers crossed for the next update...here are the pics, comments very welcome!

IMG_2051_zpsndx53uz2.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsth1q9ppj.jpg

IMG_2053_zpsvpreshw8.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsjaehdszw.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Greg. Nice to see some progress on this and it's looking very good. I especially like the last photo with the pilot. Good luck with the next stages.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Greg. Nice to see some progress on this and it's looking very good. I especially like the last photo with the pilot. Good luck with the next stages.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, thanks for the kind comments. I took the last pic to illustrate how clear the kit canopy is. All i did after cutting it was give it a wash in clean water. I'm new to using Klear (floor polish) as a prep for decals so i'm hoping it will work out ok. The squadron letters and roundels are all in one transfer so if the surface isn't glossy enough theres potential for a lot of silvering. We'll see what happens....!

Look,s superb Greg,colours look spot on,love all the pilot's that are making their way into this GB's build's.

Thanks Steve. I agree re the pilot figures. After all it was the men not the machines that won the battle. :thumbsup2:

Nice paint job Greg, it all looks fantastic I like the duck egg blue.

Thanks Ozzy. I wasn't sure about the DEB paint as i thought it was a bit light, and maybe not blue enough, but i like the way it turned out. I may go back to using enamels more as these ones brushed on nicely with a spot of thinners.

• Like 2

Excellent Greg! Pilot and in-flight is the proper way to build a model aircraft :)

Cheers Dan! Its not often i do "wheels up" models these days, but i'm enjoying it with this one, and will definately do more in the future - with the pilots :D

The squadron letters and roundels are all in one transfer so if the surface isn't glossy enough theres potential for a lot of silvering. We'll see what happens....!

Hi Greg. I'm fairly new to using Klear (or Pledge as it says on my bottle) too but it does seem to help minimise silvering. The other thing is that I cut away as much of the carrier film as possible to leave only the letters and roundels. It takes a bit of patience and careful cutting with a craft knife and scissors but it does avoid silvering between the actual bits I want. I practiced on some old decals first.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Greg. I'm fairly new to using Klear (or Pledge as it says on my bottle) too but it does seem to help minimise silvering. The other thing is that I cut away as much of the carrier film as possible to leave only the letters and roundels. It takes a bit of patience and careful cutting with a craft knife and scissors but it does avoid silvering between the actual bits I want. I practiced on some old decals first.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, yes mine says Pledge on the bottle too, and i've tried it out on an old kit. It did help with applying the decals but i'm having a bit of bother making it flat again. My Humrol Matt acrylic varnish isn't doing what it should. I'm going to try another brand to see if this works better. My weathering approach does not work well with gloss finishes. I'll try cutting the carrier film as you've suggested as well. Regards Greg.

• Like 1