Old School Hurricane Mk 1 - UPDATE 18/10/15 FINISHED

After the job is done, i am home and enjoying a good drink as well.

Have decided to be in, with the very same kit and my Techmod decal sheet.

• Like 2

Hi folks, back to the model bench, and a quick update. Have joined the fuselage sides, and installed the pilot. I had to remove the control stick/yoke to allow the fuselage to join to the wing section. This was because the yoke would not fit between the pilots legs with him secured in the seat. The stick is now in the pilots hands but alsa no longer attached to the cockpit floor (you may be able to see this in the pics). I am now allowing the fuselage section to cure over night as i have applied enough glue for it to squeeze through the seam, and hopefully fill the join once sanded. I have also attached clear sprue to the navigation lights on the wingtips to be sanded to shape later. Next (after the seams are sanded) i will be making the hole for the clear rod to be inserted from the underside of the fuselage so i can pose the plane in a take off position. I have still to fashion a base for this and find a solution to prop blur, but i've a few ideas....TTFN Greg

IMG_1647_zpskjbo2cnk.jpg

IMG_1646_zpsmvtrzvjh.jpg

IMG_1648_zpsrcrs7xfd.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Greg, the pilot looks good sitting in the cockpit. That's a good seam line you've done there to act as filler. Joe

• Like 1

I have one of these to do and your model is definitely making "go on, do it!" noises. Your pilot looks splendid; I just wish I could get somewhere near your standard. If you want prop blurs try giving Valiant Wings a try: they have, IIRC, quite a range of sizes and styles so you should be able to find something to suit

• Like 1

Good job, Gregor, the solution with the stick and the new guy in the cockpit won t be visible, after all and the figure is much better than the old one.

• Like 1

Hi Greg, the pilot looks good sitting in the cockpit. That's a good seam line you've done there to act as filler. Joe

Thanks Joe. There was no way it would all fit per the instructions without repositioning the control column so i'm happy its all went together so far. Sanded down the top seam earlier and its looking quite good. Cheers Greg.

very very nice work on it.

Thank you Carius, much appreciated.

I have one of these to do and your model is definitely making "go on, do it!" noises. Your pilot looks splendid; I just wish I could get somewhere near your standard. If you want prop blurs try giving Valiant Wings a try: they have, IIRC, quite a range of sizes and styles so you should be able to find something to suit

Thanks Stever219. If you are going to start you Hurricane look at the previous advice given in this thread re fitting wings to fuselage to save you some hard sanding work later in the build. Its a sound kit and still worth building. I've seen the props you mentioned, and am giving them some consideration. Cheers Greg

Nice work updating an old kit! Much improved

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the comment, and support, very much appreciated. G

Good job, Gregor, the solution with the stick and the new guy in the cockpit won t be visible, after all and the figure is much better than the old one.

Cheers Bernd :thumbsup2: the older figure probably wouldn't have required refitting like the replacement, but i agree he looks better. Good luck with your Hurricane mate.

Its a good example of the improvements, Airfix has done. Pilots in kits are quite rare today.

Thanks, my efforts on my one, war to make some templates for the camo scheme and to mess up the canopy with ( too old ) future :(

But i hope i can finish this one until the end of this GB :hmmm:

• Like 1

Excellent progress Greg. The pilot looks right at home in his cockpit - really nicely done. With regards prop blurs; I did an experiment with printing some on acetate for a 1/72 Typhoon build, the details of which can be found here if you are interested. I ended up using photo-etch ones in the end though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Excellent progress Greg. The pilot looks right at home in his cockpit - really nicely done. With regards prop blurs; I did an experiment with printing some on acetate for a 1/72 Typhoon build, the details of which can be found here if you are interested. I ended up using photo-etch ones in the end though.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I had a go at making my own prop blurs from clear food packaging on an old B-25, and was unhappy with the results. The commercial ones look good but i prefer a full disc if you know what i mean. There are examples on Valiant Wings website called Tom's props, and i'm thinking about those. In the meantime thanks for the info re Nest Plastics - i got one of their "poles" via Amazon, and i'm working on what type of base to attach it to next. I've made a hole in the underside of the model to receive the plastic pole but will need to see the weight of the aircraft before choosing the size of the base. The Airfix Hurri in 1/48 is quite big. Cheers and regards, Greg

• Like 1

I'V used the photo etched ones and with some carefull blurry paint job (I found this difficult) they look good but i think they are a bit like Marmite , you love them or hate them. They do work out quite expensive.

Due to technical difficulties at my end - laptop not wanting to read/upload pics from the camera - i have a couple of pics i took yesterday after i fitted the wings to the fuselage. Despite rigorous sanding and dry fitting theres still gaps to fill. You can see from the pics that holding it all together needed use of pegs and a good old rubber band. I am unsure whether i have sorted the dihedral but its the best i could do in the circumstances. Last night out internet went down hence the delay in posting, and since then i have filled the joints and sanded them down along with the nav lights on the wing tips. I'll try to post update pics later today, as long as our laptop plays ball! More later.....!

IMG_1652_zpshjmdmbjs.jpg

IMG_1651_zps7zyj9wzp.jpg

IMG_1650_zpskvk9muwz.jpg

• Like 8

Good to see more progress and yes that all looks pretty good to me too. :thumbsup:

Thanks Stix. I have probably made a bit of a meal over the fitting of the main components, but all appears well now the "restraints" are off :D

• Like 1

Nice progress, I like your improvisation to hold it all together.

Thanks Ozzy. I'm hopeful this will ensure a dihedral as Troy pointed out earlier.

• Like 1

So, the pegs etc are off, and i've taken some pics with the Hurri on the pole (temporarily). Theres still a bit of final filling to complete but the main airfame is complete, and once i've cleaned it up a bit more i'll be ready to paint. The clear plastic pole/rod is from Nest Plastics and i've cut it to about 6 inches long. Once the opposite end is secured in an appropriate base, i'll be able to select an angel to set it at. Here's the pics....IMG_1657_zpsloh22bzb.jpg

IMG_1656_zpscshzpnq6.jpg

IMG_1655_zpsauzbncwc.jpg

IMG_1654_zpss03x8kzf.jpg

• Like 8