Old School Hurricane Mk 1 - UPDATE 18/10/15 FINISHED

Looking very good. I have one parked just after this point. I think i got the colours wrong, yours looks very good.

Also, my is the 70s version and the newbie here thought it would be ok to use the in box decals :) haha, needless to say they disintegrated in contact with water :banghead:

What colours have you used? I started a Spitfire mk1 and now got closer to the colours (using vallejo dark earth (a bit too dark) and vallejo Medium Olive (the best green i found among my paint bottles). The green seems ok but the brown is definitely off...)

Cheers

• Like 1

Looking very good. I have one parked just after this point. I think i got the colours wrong, yours looks very good.

Also, my is the 70s version and the newbie here thought it would be ok to use the in box decals :) haha, needless to say they disintegrated in contact with water :banghead:

What colours have you used? I started a Spitfire mk1 and now got closer to the colours (using vallejo dark earth (a bit too dark) and vallejo Medium Olive (the best green i found among my paint bottles). The green seems ok but the brown is definitely off...)

Cheers

Hi Dema, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I have used Humbrol acrylic 29 & 30, although i lightened them with a spot of white as i thought they were too dark. The underside is Humbrol enamel 23 - Duck egg blue but only as this particular aircraft used those underside colours, most - I think - were Sky, which is more duck egg green. To be honest i'm colour blind and rely on the paint references other than that i go on shade, ie darker or lighter. Old Airfix kit decals were notorious for being out of register or brittle so i've gone with After Market ones. Regards Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. How's this one going? Looking forward to seeing some more progress photos.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, i'm fine thanks. Still working away at my Hurri, and have some progress, i'll try and post a couple of pics tonight. Our broadband went off for a while there so i'm a wee bit out of touch, except from work where i can't upload pics. I always end up slowing down as i get to the end of a project somehow! Regards Greg

Time for an update! Heres where i am so far (see pics) - decals/stickers/transfers are on. I was not impressed with the Aeromaster set, which were/are disapointing!

These were very thick and took a lot od Micro set/sol to bed down. A few sessions have got them all on albeit they were very bright before i dulled the down with Revell matt enamel varnish. My usual acrylic Humbrol stuff just didn't cut it, so thanks to Bernd for suggesting the Revell varnish, which worked for me. The tail transfer would not stick at all or conform to the curves of the tail unit so i had to paint on the red portion then add/steal the white and red section from my new Hurricane set. With the markings and matt coat on i moved on to weathering, and hopefully you can see this from the pics. Humbrol powders: smoke, sand and white were applied with a small brush then scrubbed with a larger watercolour brush with stiff bristles. I added the exhaust stubbs and hollowed out the tubes with the point of a scriber and craft knife. Next stage is the prop and blur, and finally the undercart, ariel mast/ wire, and the vac canopy section. Doesn't sound a lot but it will probably take a bit of concentrated effort! Feel free to comment!

IMG_2089_zpsyzub4wca.jpg

IMG_2090_zpssysyhkcx.jpg

IMG_2091_zpsuhjhheub.jpg

IMG_2092_zps79x5ix9v.jpg

• Like 6

Addendum to this update! I usually do a little bit of research in to the aircraft i'm modelling, and noted from the AM transfer sheer that Albert G Lewis was the pilot of P2923, so i "googled it" and came up with some stuff. Lewis was a BoF veteran and already an ace by the time BoB got underway. He adopted this particular aircraft when it was delivered to 85 Sqdn as part of a replacement batch as they had lost/abandoned most of their aircraft in France. This particular machine was lost on 18 September - The Hardest Day - but was piloted by Dickie Lee, Lewis's friend and fellow BoF survivor. Here is a link that can give you better info and a few pictures of the man/machine http://www.cbfs.talktalk.net/lastofthefew.html. Accordingly my build for the BoB GB is dedicated to the two friends - Albert Lewis DFC and Richard Dickie Lee DFC.

• Like 3

I was not impressed with the Aeromaster set, which were/are disapointing!

These were very thick and took a lot od Micro set/sol to bed down. A few sessions have got them all on albeit they were very bright before i dulled the down with Revell matt enamel varnish.

Greg,

I'm really pleased to see the older Airfix kit getting some sympathetic treatment, and agree that wheels-up is a good way forward with it - it looks excellent so far.

Referring to your decal comments, I was not sure what you meant by them being very bright. If you are referring to the brightness of the red in the roundels, then have you allowed for the fact that P2923 was a Gloster-built Hurricane and therefore painted at the factory with bright roundel colours rather than the theoretically correct dull red and blue shades? To me, those Aeromaster decals as applied to your model look correct for a Gloster-built airframe.

• Like 1

Hi Gregor, your "well used" Hurricane looks fine, well done so far !

Wasn t aware that there were so many differences in RAF markings/colors at that time.

Guess thats a really interesting subject to research !

• Like 1

Fantastic Greg! I love the weathered look. It's an area I'm trying to improve upon with my own models. Agreed on all the little bits... They take a while don't they.

Hi Dan, and thanks for the comments. I'm new to the weathering effects too. I go lightly and build up with the weathering powders. Yes i'm currently doing the wee fiddly bits that seem to take an age. Cheers Greg.

Greg,

I'm really pleased to see the older Airfix kit getting some sympathetic treatment, and agree that wheels-up is a good way forward with it - it looks excellent so far.

Referring to your decal comments, I was not sure what you meant by them being very bright. If you are referring to the brightness of the red in the roundels, then have you allowed for the fact that P2923 was a Gloster-built Hurricane and therefore painted at the factory with bright roundel colours rather than the theoretically correct dull red and blue shades? To me, those Aeromaster decals as applied to your model look correct for a Gloster-built airframe.

Hi and thanks for the thumbs up! The old Hurricane kit gets a nice result if you give it a bit of TLC, and still looks pretty good out of the box i think. The decals were just a bit too glossy until i "flattened" them a bit with some matt varnish. I'm glad they still look right despite my meddling!!

Hi Gregor, your "well used" Hurricane looks fine, well done so far !

Wasn t aware that there were so many differences in RAF markings/colors at that time.

Guess thats a really interesting subject to research !

Cheers mate! Still got a bit to do, but its all going in the right direction now. Yes RAF markings are varied and could be different from one unit to another.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been made albeit slowly.....i have added exhaust sheilds as this particular aircraft had them. Landing lights have been "fashioned" from scrap, and i have made up a small base from an old fence post cap. Pics speak for themselves, i hope, given some spare time i shouldn,t be much longer with this one...famous last words lol!

IMG_2135_zpsziykwrsx.jpg

IMG_2134_zpsx3ogm5rr.jpg

IMG_2133_zpsruimmvfw.jpg

IMG_2132_zpscxcdueyp.jpg

Feel free to comment!!

• Like 5

Great looking model / pose. I especially like your idea for the base of the stand.

Thank you! The base had to be uncomplicated as i had made the build less than straight forward with the take off/in flight idea. I didn't want to be spending time i didn't have building an involved dio.

The last picture has everything just looking so good . The small base does look like the hurricane is climbing away and the ground is disappearing into the distance.

Thanks, i never thought of it like that! Cheers :thumbsup2:

Looks fantastic, very atmospheric.

Thanks Ozzy!