Old School Hurricane Mk 1 - UPDATE 18/10/15 FINISHED

My second entry in the BoB GB. Old tool Airfix Hurricane 1. I have the new tooling but thought i'd do the oldie first to see how it stands up to all the new versions of the kit that are being modeled. I have a falcon vac canopy, and some AM decals for this one, other than that it will be oot the box! I am toying with the idea of modeling it on a clear plastic rod with the prop spinning and the wheels going up.... but i'll see how it goes. Markings are from Aces of the Empire sheet with one option of an unknown Polish pilot, which appeals to me as mostly folk model the aces aircraft. Anyway, heres some pics of the box n' bits!!

IMG_1018_zpsl2bxfmuj.jpg

IMG_1019_zpsp1xh2j8l.jpg

IMG_1017_zpswq2i1id0.jpg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 13

Nice set of Aeromaster Decals Greg. Should look good on your Hurricane. Joe

• Like 1

It'll be good to see this older Hurricane being made at the same time as the newer ones and it should look great in those decals. :popcorn:

• Like 1

It,s still a very nice kit Greg,well worthy of inclusion,looking forward to this here,s one of three I built last year

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a613/stevej60/SDC12197800x533_zps2fb18d3b.jpg

Thanks Steve, your one looks great, i love the worn metal patches and the weathering :goodjob:

It'll be good to see this older Hurricane being made at the same time as the newer ones and it should look great in those decals. :popcorn:

I hope so Stix. Its an older issue of the kit and a lot of Airfix's earlier decals are out of register. Thanks for the comment! Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Nice set of Aeromaster Decals Greg. Should look good on your Hurricane. Joe

Thanks Joe. The old kit decals are a bit dodgy now. I'm probably going with option 3 on the sheet, which is a Polish 306 squadron machine flown by an unknown pilot.

• Like 1

Another nice project, it seems your bench will be crowded by some classical BoB fighters, the next time.

Good idea to add some decals to this one.

• Like 1

Another nice project, it seems your bench will be crowded by some classical BoB fighters, the next time.

Good idea to add some decals to this one.

Thanks Bernd, yeah the bench is getting crowded. :banghead:

• Like 1

Surfing the net for info on the 306 Sqdn Hurri casts doubts over whether this particular aircraft was operational before end Oct 1940. A lot of profiles show it as November with black half undersides and the sky fuselage band. I may have to go with one of the other options....306 went operational on 28 August 1940 at Church Fenton.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this oldie, looks a nice enough kit... Just the new tool one looks spectacular

Rob

Thanks Rob. The old tooling doesn't have nearly as many parts as the new one, and about the same as the old 1/72 kit! If it all goes together well then it shouldn,t take too long to complete.

Ok time to get things moving, so i've made a start on the old Hurri. Did quite a bit of dry fitting on it as, having built one before i remember the wings to fuselage join produced a nasty step. So far i have got the cockpit floor/wheel bay in place, and installed the pilots seat. As you will see from the following picyure theres not a lot of detail in the cockpit, and as i'm installing a pilot i won't be adding any more than comes with the kit. Talking of pilots i thought i'd nick the one out the new Hurricane kit, as hes well detailed compared to the old boy that comes in the box. Unfortunately the new pilot appear too small (see pics again) so i'm going with one from the spares box, who i think was from a Seafire kit. Anyway that's me started. My next post should see the main airframe constructed, and that's when the sanding sticks and filler will make their first appearance.....

IMG_1033_zps8rqneom7.jpg

IMG_1034_zpsxd9l23bd.jpg

IMG_1035_zps2s0k688j.jpg

IMG_1036_zpshnzjkgfx.jpg

IMG_1037_zpstgdl4yov.jpg

Seafire pilot drafted in for service on the left.

IMG_1038_zpsc4j944vi.jpg

IMG_1039_zps9lfy3fiq.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsj3okkv7c.jpg

IMG_1041_zpsatvvndyj.jpg

• Like 7

Good progress.Greg.

Are you sure that the centre pilot is not from the Seafire as he seems to be wearing the New Mermaid flight trousers to aid swimming :)

Yeah, see what you mean...! Could be incontinence pants, seeings how he's so old :winkgrin:

Lovely progress Greg. It's interesting seeing the level of detail in the cockpit that was provided by Airfix on this old kit compared with their latest! Externally, in comparison, for the most part, it still holds it's own - in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

Lovely progress Greg. It's interesting seeing the level of detail in the cockpit that was provided by Airfix on this old kit compared with their latest! Externally, in comparison, for the most part, it still holds it's own - in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Stix! I think its still a good kit. I won't be rescribing any of the external details as i think they are quite subtle. With the pilot in the cockpit theres very little to be seen, unlike the new tooling, where i'd be surprised if anyone chose to close the canopy and or fully install the pilot, given the vast array of detail on hand. Kind regards Greg.

• Like 1

Good progress Greg,the wing fuselage "trench" is a feature of this kit but is an easy fix,don,t tell anyone but there are some questionable fit issues

with their new tool Hurricane too!

• Like 1

Greg

if you have not glued wings to fuselage one tip is to sand the tops of the UC bay, as this can push the fuselage up, and make the outer wing panels dihedral flat. The centre section is flat, but the outer panels have dihedral.

501-rotolhurri-france.jpg

You might want to try the technique of gluing the wing uppers to the fuslage, and then adding the lower wing and adjusting as needed.

The seat and cockpit frame work should be painted aluminium BTW, as should the UC bay.

HTH

PS

1-a-hawker-hurricane-aircraft-in-flight-

• Like 1

Greg

if you have not glued wings to fuselage one tip is to sand the tops of the UC bay, as this can push the fuselage up, and make the outer wing panels dihedral flat. The centre section is flat, but the outer panels have dihedral.

501-rotolhurri-france.jpg

You might want to try the technique of gluing the wing uppers to the fuslage, and then adding the lower wing and adjusting as needed.

The seat and cockpit frame work should be painted aluminium BTW, as should the UC bay.

HTH

PS

1-a-hawker-hurricane-aircraft-in-flight-

Thanks for the tip Troy! So far i've glued the wing halfs together but not attached it to the fuselage. Looking at cockpit photos in a reference book i couldn't tell if the entire sidewalls were interior green or part aluminium so i did it all green! I've done the U/C bay aluminium. I'll give sanding the cockpit floor/undercart bay a sanding to se how that goes. Dry fitting its pretty close but may still need filler etc. Chhers! Greg

Good start, Gregor. The first steps are done, the old Airfix kits are maybe outdated and not up to todays standart, but they look the part.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Good start, Gregor. The first steps are done, the old Airfix kits are maybe outdated and not up to todays standart, but they look the part.

:goodjob:

Got to agree with you there Bernd :thumbsup: Last night i got out the needle files and attacked the top of the wheel bays to help the fit to fuselage. It seems to be working though, and i hope to post some progress pics soon.

• Like 1

Update, sorta! I have been sanding down the wheel bay insert in order to make the fuselage joint less "stepped". As you can see (hopefully) from the following pics its been a bit of a slog. I've reduced the plastic by a couple of millimeters and this has improved the fit ..a bit. Pilot is now painted and the IP is in place (i've knocked the gun sight off again!) From the pics you may see the seat is set too low to the floor and i might try to correct this or put some thing under the pilots rather slim butt to raise him up a wee bit. So despite my hope to have the main components assembled for this update i've not managed it yet. Still its best not to rush it at this satge with plenty of time to go. I'm on holiday after tomorrow night so this will be my last update till i get back in a weeks time. Here come the pics, feel free to comment!IMG_1235_zpskzoljwdk.jpg

IMG_1234_zps54vvr3od.jpg

IMG_1233_zps9r4v1gll.jpg

IMG_1230_zpsrjinzubx.jpg

IMG_1229_zps16dmhxrc.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsakwp2ytr.jpg

• Like 9

I do like your pilot Gerg, he looks very good. Joe

• Like 1

Hi Gregor, your pilot looks great, excellent paint job. And you rolled up the sleeves and get the fit problem fixed.

:goodjob: ....and have some great day on holiday, hope the weather will improve, in Scotland

• Like 1

I do like your pilot Gerg, he looks very good. Joe

Thanks Joe. I'm not a great figure painter but this one turned out ok.

Hi Gregor, your pilot looks great, excellent paint job. And you rolled up the sleeves and get the fit problem fixed.

:goodjob: ....and have some great day on holiday, hope the weather will improve, in Scotland

Thanks mate. Been packing tonight so its about time for a sit down and some refreshments... :drink:

• Like 2