H.M. Schooner Fair Rosamund, the compact version

I feel your pain ......

One of the bits I'm mucking about with at the moment 1/144 masts and spars for my luggers   :banghead:

Easy for me to say but you've such along way it would be a shame to give up on such a beautiful boat

Kev

• Like 1

Ta Kev, you're probably right, grit teeth and, um, keep calm etc. Cleared the debris...puzzling over the next step - new mast in wood or try to do one in brass?

broken-mast.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried bamboo for masts. Probably to small for you but I've been using barbecue skewers, seem extremely strong for the diameter?

I would guess the safe bet is brass, there is a lot of tension on the top mast as you're setting up the rigging ...

Kev

• Like 1

I've only used bamboo for treenails, to date. I've made a couple of the upper yards - royals, out of brass for this build.

broken-mast_1.jpg

I've now made a new mast and cap out of DeGame...I'll try to be a bit more careful this time. The disaster has given me a chance to sort out the yard sling before it all gets complicated again!

I've been putting all the build pics up on a blog to make them accesible - quite a way to go yet!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Kris B said:

What happend, another disaster? Maybe if you leave it for few days you be able to come back? 

Yep. Problem is that at that scale the repairs get too much. Broke a crosstree on the mainmast and with the amount of rigging and blocks glue there, to do a decent job would have meant doing a whole new mast, really. It was all getting to be too much like work rather than an enjoyable pastime. So I put it aside before I could manage to break more. Managed to snap off the foremast pole whhile replacing the case...duh.

12 hours ago, longshanks said:

Lost at sea with all hands :(

Clearing the decks for the next entertaining  build?

Kev

I'm working on plans, Kev. But it'll be a while as I no longer have a scrollsaw...need to start saving!

That’s a shame - but that’s how it goes sometimes. Same with mountain climbing for a hobby - you don’t always actually get to the summit but that doesn’t mean it’s wasted time.

Could you use this in a shipwreck diorama?

9 hours ago, seadog said:

Yep. Problem is that at that scale the repairs get too much. ...

... Managed to snap off the foremast pole whhile replacing the case...duh.

I can relate as well.  I think the older I get, my fingertips seem to be getting bigger.  Those tiny parts seem a lot harder to pick up or put in position (even with tweezers).

I've lost count how many times I've put a case back on a model and snapped off an aerial or the top of a mast. :(